Profile for JanBE > Reviews

Doxie Go - Rechargeable A4 Mobile Document Scanner
Doxie Go - Rechargeable A4 Mobile Document Scanner
Offered by Apparent

3.0 out of 5 stars Portable, expensive and issues, 27 Jan. 2014
I have had this scanner in use for 2 years.

What I like:

- Portable

- No clutter, does not take up any room on your desktop, I simply store it in my desk drawer

- SD card slot

- no nonsense software (Mac)

What I dislike

- Frequent paper jams when the edge or tip(s) of the document is even slightly crooked. Even a document that comes out of a laser printer (and is slightly curved at the top) may result in the Doxie not taking the paper.

- Battery life is limited (it would say around 50 pages instead of the advertised 100). The li-ion battery also looses its charge over a short period of time (1 month). I thought that the main advantage of a li-ion battery is that it keeps its charge for a longer period of time. I reported this issue to Doxie after 1 month of purchase and they said it was normal. My best advise is to always keep it plugged into a power source, ready to go and unplug it when you need it.

- You cannot drag a scanned document directly from the software to a folder or to your desktop, I really find this annoying.

I believe the Doxie Go is too expensive for what it is. If portability is no issue, I would consider alternatives such as Fujitsu Scansnap ix500 or a Canon DR-C125 which is what I am going to do should the Doxie die on me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2014 6:06 PM GMT

Black + Decker FSMH1621-GB Autoselect Multi-Floor 7-in-1 Steam Mop
Black + Decker FSMH1621-GB Autoselect Multi-Floor 7-in-1 Steam Mop

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok steam cleaner, 5 July 2013
We purchased this steam cleaner because we have some area's on our ceramic tiles that appear to have a film on them. Under certain light conditions, the tiles appear as if they are not clean. We've tried everything, even professional cleaning solutions but nothing helps. We had hoped this steam mop would make a difference but it didn't. My conclusion is that the problem is with our tiles and not with the cleaning method.

We've tried the steamer on the seams between the tiles in the kitchen and there is a lot of dirt coming out of them. We also tried the grill of the barbecue and it cleans well (but see 2.2 below).

There are some problems with this cleaner:

1. I am about 1m85cm tall and the length of the handle is too short especially if you need to do a large area.

2. The steamer unit fitted in the handle is in fact a detachable hand steamer. This is an advantage but there are also disadvantages. For example, the entire unit is bulkier compared to the other models. The other models will fit in more narrower storage spaces.

2.1 The reservoir of the hand steamer is smaller (around 300ml) compared to the models with a non-detachable steamer. You need to refill more often.

2.2 When you detach the hand steamer, you can attach an included hose to the nozzle of the hand unit. The hoze nozzle can then be fitted with any of the included accessoires (brushes, window washer, etc.). This allows you to scrub area's or objects. There is one tragic flaw with this way of working. The hand unit is equiped with a safety switch. The detachable unit turns off as soon as you let go of it. Both your hands are occupied (the hoze with attached brush in one hand, the steamer unit in the other hand). This is a huge problem when you want to clean objects that are not sturdy or fixed (like a barbecue grill). You either need a vice to fix the object or a second person to hold the object or to hold the steamer. Safety is important but I don't see the point in equiping the hand steamer with a safety switch and not equiping the handle (for doing floors) with one. The steam is HOT both ways.

2.3 The box says the unit is ready to operate within 15 seconds. This is not the case when the steam unit is detached. The ready to operate light turns from red to blue well under the advertised 15 seconds but when you push the button on the detached unit you still need to wait an additional 15 to 20 seconds before any steam comes out. I first thought the unit was defective.

3. The unit features a 50% steam boost function which turns out to be very disappointing. What they don't mention anywhere on the box is that this boost function will only work for 10 seconds. I purchased the unit thinking it had a 50% boost function which you could turn on continuesly.

Price is a bit high but I am glad I went for the model with detachable unit.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2013 9:30 PM BST

Neutra, Complete Works (Taschen 25)
Neutra, Complete Works (Taschen 25)
by Barbara Lamprecht

3.0 out of 5 stars Good reference book, poor coffee table (or picture) book, 2 July 2013
I had higher expectations on the photographic material in this book. Images are beautiful but the majority of them are too small and they do not take advantage of the large format of this book. I also expected more interior images. I have the impression that the large format was chosen because they needed to cram in text in 3 different languages. There is a descent amount of information for each project but I found the font size to be too small. I like the fact that they mention the construction cost (back then) of many of the projects but it would have been nice if they'd also mentionned today's construction cost. Book cover has the appearance of real wood but isn't.

In my oppinion this book serves as a good reference book but it is a very poor coffee table or picture book.