Profile for Smatch > Reviews

NOCO G3500UK Genius Smart Battery Charger
Price: 30.41

4.0 out of 5 stars It works well and nice and compact., 7 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The setup is much smaller than it looks on camera for a start, it's a very compact product that can be easily stored and of of the way which I didn't expect after seeing the photo and imagining it to be quite a large battery pack and long leads.

As for the actual setup, it was very simple, and the status lights on the pack help, with four quarter stops up until 100% charged. I found that the boost mode helped on an old battery I have had in the garage for a long time, it gave it a good step up to then start charging normally.

All in all it's working, and that's the most important thing, and I expect it to work well into the future too, as I've owned it for a couple of months now with no defects noticeable at all. The price point makes a good buy because of the quality and compact build. Recommended highly.

D'Addario NYXL1046 Regular Light 10-46 Electric Guitar Strings
D'Addario NYXL1046 Regular Light 10-46 Electric Guitar Strings
Price: 12.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality., 7 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Strong strings, good quality. The main thing I noticed straight away was the immediate re-tuning time was reduced by about half, meaning that I could get on and play for a period without having to re tune every three minutes like I've done with other strings (including my regular D'Addario stainless steels).

They don't oxidise very quickly which is a good sign so they stay smooth and feel good to play on after a couple of weeks, but after that time, like most steel strings it's time for a re-stringing. But these are definitely the best string I've used thus far.

And although ti doesn't play a factor, the packaging is amazing, it looks like an album cover with the matte black card and luminous orange ring with silver around it. But anyway, great strings, would definitely buy again.

Pantone Universe Crossover Large Sulphur Spring Plain Notebook
Pantone Universe Crossover Large Sulphur Spring Plain Notebook
Price: 15.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality and unique notepad,, 2 July 2014
I love notebooks. I love notebooks to the point where I buy them and often don't use them, for fear of "wasting" them, I work in the creative industry so this really isn't much of an excuse, so either way I've always got my eye open incase something catches my eye, and this Pantone book did just that, especially in 'sulphur spring' green.
I was puzzled at first as to why Pantone would be releasing a product like this, but then I realised it's a double hitter; they get a quality eye catching book into a crowded market, whilst at the same time promoting their unique colour swatches, it really is a good idea, and the finished product is up to the standard you'd expect from a colour powerhouse like Pantone.

The colour is as bright, if not brighter than it looks on screen, which you'd expect as Pantone use their own unique printed colour mix. It has a hard-backed matte finish with a softer curved spine, meaning you can open it at any page and it will stay there, the pages themselves are watermarked with a 4X9mm 'PANTONE', thin and the quality is fine, it looks nearly exactly like Moleskine paper, but a bit thicker and slightly lesser quality, it's nice to write on with a thin pen, but not the best I've used when sketching a pencil, and it doesn't deal too well with fountain ink or a medium Rotring Tikky pen as it is very visible in blotches on the reverse. There is a pocket at the back which is good quality and strong as well as the standard elastic tie and book mark (both also in green).

Never thought I'd review a notebook, but there it is! If you want to stand out, you'll probably not mind spending this money, if you are just happy with a standard notebook this probably isn't right for you, unless you get one and use it as your 'important notes/ideas only' book, but who knows what will be an important idea down the road right? If you're a serious designer/artist who doesn't write notes in a coffee shop just to be seen then I imagine you'd say "go away style over substance!" to this and carry on using a standard book, especially if you go through so many. So all in all it is expensive, there are cheaper better options available, so it looks like it just comes down to the colour.

Similar notebooks would be the Leuchtturm1917: excellent 145X210mm which is slightly cheaper and in my opinion better (you can get a lined version too), and the Moleskine same size, which again is cheaper and better quality and comes in a lined option as well.

Carte Noire Espresso No 5 Delicat 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 8)
Carte Noire Espresso No 5 Delicat 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 8)
Price: 16.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice everyday coffee, questions about the plastic build, 30 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not a coffee nut whatsoever, I don't drink espresso, so I'm basing my review on the taste I've experienced making a lungo, with a good amount of milk.

First off the build: it is a permeable top which is the reason each pod comes individually wrapped in a foil bag, it's very tough plastic at the back, it doesn't take too much for my Krups machine to pierce, at least not as much as some of the other third party pod makers I've tried. But one small possible issue is as the boiling water is pumped through the pod the plastic becomes very malleable, resulting in the pod dropping into the receptacle bent and warped out of shape, I've never seen another plastic backed pod do this, I;m sure it isn't a big problem but it's strange they chose to use plastic that does this.
And why they couldn't simply seal the coffee in using foil over the end I don't know, as the overall packaging size could be cut down by half, unless you either don't mind going down to your local delivery office or don't have a friendly neighbour you'd have to plan your orders carefully.

As for the lungo taste: i really enjoy it, the coffee is nice and dark with about 1cm crema, which remains as thick once the hot milk has been poured in. It's a mild flavour but with just enough bitterness and bite to it.

The price is very reasonable, mainly because you get 80 pods, which is much cheaper than my usual Nespresso order plus P&P.
Like I said, I'm not a coffee nut, so I'd think these Carte Noire pods are probably best used by people who aren't coffee "experts" and just like a normal coffee bought in the coffee shop in the morning.

But all in all, very happy and would definitely try the more intense flavours.

Samsung 8GB SDHC Plus Class 6 Extreme Speed Memory Card
Samsung 8GB SDHC Plus Class 6 Extreme Speed Memory Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong, best I've used., 29 Jun 2014
I've had this for three years now and there is not a scratch on it, it really is the best SDHC card I've ever owned, it's been in the last two cameras I've had and has at times been misplaced, dropped, stepped on and it's still here, so that just shouts so Samsung's build quality here. I've made do with the 8GB by careful planning and management of files, it suits me because I use a lot of photography in my work, but when I do need to step up to something more hefty in capacity I'll look no further than Samsung's 32GB class 10 version.

Logitech LS21 2.1 Stereo Speaker System
Logitech LS21 2.1 Stereo Speaker System
Offered by Fuzion
Price: 28.63

3.0 out of 5 stars Very average, 27 Jun 2014
For a set of temporary speaker these will be fine, I bought a pair when I had to take my higher end speakers to university with me, I left this Logitech set up for the times I returned and didn't want to have to rely on tinny laptop sound.
These are definitely not tinny, but they're not very deep wither, the sub woofer seemingly has no range so it is all the way up constantly for me, and even then it doesn't have much bass weight at all. The speakers themselves are again, very average, but for the price you should really know what kind of quality you're getting before you buy these.

Sony NEX5KB Alpha Compact System Camera - 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens - Black
Sony NEX5KB Alpha Compact System Camera - 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first step into mirror-less cameras for me., 27 Jun 2014
I've owned this thing for just over three years now and it continues to stand up strong with it's usual usage.

The menus are easily navigable and clearly labelled with good pictures, with good colour which further aids in quick navigation. It's the kind of menu setup that you can get used to very quickly and see the options as almost a habit when you need to change something in the future.

The features are outstanding, Sony really were onto the right thing when they decided to allow any lens to be used on it, with the simple 'release without lens' option checked you are free to put anything on whatsoever. I have a small collection of legacy Canon lenses which you can attach easily with the ubiquitous adapters. They really are everywhere, especially for the E-mount NEX system. I've even had great results using a reverse lens set up and also experimenting with light leaks. As a regular photographer, mostly for work purposes I haven't had this much enjoyment from using a camera since I last used my old Olympus OM-10, the NEX really is a fantastic body from which to explore and experiment with many different types of photography. I've lost count of the hours spent on trawling eBay looking for a "new" old lens to put through its paces on the NEX, and so do many others it seems, as the prices for these old SLR lenses have doubled from what they were five years ago.

The sensor is excellent, when shooting in RAW the colours are slightly bleached but that's obvious, a RAW file is indeed that–raw. Just stick it into Potoshop's RAW editor (I never bother with Sony's supplied software) and you're away.
The sharpness is very good, with minimal chromatic aberration and unnoticeable vignetting. Though the standard 18-55mm lens supplied isn't the most airtight build I've seen, with phantom bits of dust appearing on the final shot which has to be edited out post production, it's annoying, but can be worked around.

The video quality is very good, though you'll need to run it through some post processing software, even something low-end like iMovie will allow you to export the file into a smaller size, getting rid of the pixellation which is very apparent for some reason.

What you're getting here is a fantastic sensor built into a small compact package, the lens is what you like, but the sensor is really something you wouldn't want to replace in this price range. I'll be buying NEX for yeas to come.

Hoya 49mm HMC Haze UV Screw-in Filter
Hoya 49mm HMC Haze UV Screw-in Filter
Offered by CameraKing
Price: 14.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality glass, very long lasting., 27 Jun 2014
Hoya have a great reputation and it wasn't let down one bit after owning this. I've had it now for two years and there is not a scratch on it and the thread, glass fitting and coating as solid as ever, even with the heavy use it's seen over the years. It is always on my 49mm lenses when I'm not using another filter and it will continue to be on until either it breaks (unlikely) or I change lenses.

Really quality stuff, and also inspires further Hoya filter purchasing.

McAfee Internet Security - 1 user (Mac)
McAfee Internet Security - 1 user (Mac)
Price: 30.16

3.0 out of 5 stars Unneeded and space taking, 27 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not two hours passed after installing this that I found myself removing it. I've known throughout my three year usage of Macs that they have a reputation of being very resilient and protected against viruses. I myself have never had one, nor ever had anything stolen or duplicated from entering details on the internet or through email. My Macbook may be three years old but even running RAM heavy Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator doesn't slow it down as much as this does. It's as digitally hefty as it is in the ridiculous over-packaging, with the code card rattling away inside the box that could package four CD cases.

My conclusion was quick, Macs don't need third party virus protection, they've done pretty well so far themselves, and if I were to decide to get a package again one day, it definitely won't be McAfee.

Belkin 1m Thunderbolt Data Transfer Cable - Black
Belkin 1m Thunderbolt Data Transfer Cable - Black
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but useful, and quality cable, 24 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like everything I own hat's Belkin this cable is built very well and using good materials, it's a huge step up from any second-rate copy products that still flood the market.

Anyway, all the important things work excellently; the connection is great and the strength of the outer protector is also nice and tough so it looks like it is built to last, especially the actual connectors themselves. It's only 1M long but if you have a standard set up it is perfect, with no cable clutter.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20