Profile for Helix > Reviews

Content by Helix

Helix (South West)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The North Borders Tour - Live (Bonus DVD)
The North Borders Tour - Live (Bonus DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy stuff, in an overall brilliant package., 27 Dec. 2014
Being a big fan of Bonobo (Simon Green) for a few years now I jumped at the chance to get this.

It seems like the CD is falling steadily in popularity, inevitable once digital music on portable players sourced with online and computer based outlets. If anything, the vinyl LP is going the opposite direction with a recent resurgence. I think tactility is a factor of that, and that is exactly what you get here, in this package. The DVD / CD set is housed in a book sized high quality card case, I mean, basically it is a book, a book starting with a complete list of all the dates Green and his 15-piece live band performed on the tour, followed by photos from a few venues, fantastic photos, interspersed with the members of the band followed by a few pages of small candid, random (in the best way!) photos in montage. The foreword by Radio 6 Music's Gilles Peterson is a very good introduction, as he's a fan and knows Green well.

It's just a great way to present Bonobo, with the clean, ordered, utterly visual design of Green's previous album covers reflected here, it really is a design job well done, with quality photos, on quality thick stock paper and a solid feel to the whole product. There is also a credits page at the front and back, even listing the original support bands and everyone involved musically and behind the scenes.

The "classy" comment I made in the title encompasses the live performance too, which is lit fantastically with changing colour shades, smoke and just a great atmosphere, with the Pula Amphitheatre in Croatia adding to it. The musical performance is just special, with the talent of the band on full show, and the man himself, Green, on the electronics, with a couple of multi tasking turns on the bass guitar and keyboard too.

After Green it's Jack Baker on drums that leads the show, he's front and on Green's left and holds everything together so well, adding a brilliant drum solo three quarters of the way through leading to a moody, dubstep style interlude. Sometimes these documentary / live shows can jar you into confusion, but here the cuts to interviews with Green and other singers are few, far between and well placed, in line perfectly with the track before and after.

Overall it's brought back my faith in physical music presentations. So many times recently I've been disappointed with the end product, often wishing I'd just bought it digitally, but not here. It shows when a the same passion and effort that is in the music is put into the end product that good things can happen. It's a shame that bigger artists aren't doing the same, but I'm glad that at least the lesser known musical talents are pushing to keep the CD / DVD live shows relevant.

*A note on the track listing provided by Amazon*

Disc 1 is the CD, and although 'Heaven For the Sinner' originally featured Eryka Badu on the album track, this live version actually features Szjerdene.

Disc 2 is the DVD, and though 'First Fires' with Grey Reverend is listed it is not actually on the main set, it's one of the songs on the special features, at the Roundhouse. The extras also include 'Heaven For the Sinner' with Szjerdene also at The Roundhouse, 'Transits' at Glastonbury with Szjerdene and a 'Time Lapse', which is literally a 2:30 time lapse of the set up at the Pula Amphitheatre, with the sun going down and the stage coming alive, the performance, followed by the end and the deconstruction into the dawn. It's a very cool little addition.

Manny [DVD]
Manny [DVD]
Dvd ~ Manny Pacquiao

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for a Pacquiao fan, but a slight let down as a whole., 27 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Manny [DVD] (DVD)
The combined credentials of the director of this documentary are impressive; Leon Gast of course previously made arguably the greatest boxing documentary of all time with 1996s 'When We Were Kings', following the story and lead up to Ali-Foreman in 1974.
Ryan Moore is a relatively new face and was the creator of 'Manny'. Clearly he's a massive fan as the film is very well leaning towards Pacquiao, skirting, for the most part, over his alleged affairs, gambling and alcohol habits as recent as 2012, but, this is a celebration of Manny Pacquiao and this can be forgiven, there are plenty more years to make another look back at the boxer, sure to be on the first ballot to the boxing hall of fame, as soon as he's eligible.

Liam Neeson is touted large as the "narrator", he has about three mini monologues in the hour and a half film, Pacquiao himself has the largest share of narration, at the start in English, then at spots throughout in Tagalog, which I thought was a very nice idea as you get more of a sense of personality in these moments in his native tongue.

I was disappointed to see that the section on his childhood was very brief, and we didn't see much we didn't already know, and the connection between himself fighting in the US and the people in the Philippines was only really established properly in the section about the Antonio Margarito fight, where it was said that the soldiers and the rebels stop fighting and crime ceases when there is a Pacquiao live fight screened.

Between knockout wins montaged together, the only fights that are talked about in any detail are a small bit on the Ledwaba fight, De La Hoya and Antonio Margarito, the two latter fights not mentioning first the way De La Hoya absolutely killed himself making a weight he hadn't fought a in over a year and came in at a fight night weight actually 1lb under Pacquiao. The Margarito fight was a farce of going in, grabbing a vacant title at a catchweight 4lbs under the official limit and getting out. But the fact that Pacquiao fought and beat these two is still so impressive, and it was also made known that Pacquiao had a good deal taken out of him after the Margarito fight, which many of us saw at the time, and since, we've seen a slow gradual decline.

The PED accusations came up briefly, but with only a short comment from Pacquiao and a short accusatory video from Roger Mayweather – then Floyd Mayweather's trainer – which set out the stall for the baseless accusations, which Pacquiao later took to, and won in, court.

And a video of Pacquiao can't be made without Mayweather coming up, "duck" was the name of this section, with a couple of lighter moments taken from the famous ESPN interview between Mayweather and company man Brian Kenney and a pointless short from ESPN's First Take, including 50 Cent and always biased Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith. This bit of the film was the worst, feeling contrived and biased itself, however, with a resolution that has probably settled with the main party responsible for the fight to not happen – Bob Arum.

Overall it's a nicely shot film, good soundtrack and at points very interesting, with a moving sequence at the end with Pacquiao put cold on the canvas with a shot of the devastated Filipinos. But I think this film was made too early, it ended with a KO of the year loss against a fellow hall-of-famer, which is a nice book end, but knowing what has happened since, with Pacquiao's inspiring and comeback, culminating in a solid rematch win against Tim Bradley. This is something that will be added to his legend, and it's a shame it came after this film. But I think the character he is and the fighter is, will inspire a few more films to be made on him in the future.

So this one will probably gather dust, whilst I wait for a true retelling of Manny Pacquiao's legendary career, at some point in the future.

HP USB Cable A-B 2 Metre C6518A
HP USB Cable A-B 2 Metre C6518A
Offered by sellthemquick

4.0 out of 5 stars Annoying we have to buy this, but it's fine., 20 Dec. 2014
Not much to say other than it is a very frustrating and pointless thing in my view for printer manufacturers not to include this simple, small piece of kit. I really don't get it.

But the cable is of good quality, it's lasted a long time and the connection is still strong, with no damage to the wire itself.

Nintendo DSi Handheld Console (Black)
Nintendo DSi Handheld Console (Black)
Offered by Click For Games UK

5.0 out of 5 stars After all these years it's still going strong., 20 Dec. 2014
For anyone interested in how long this model of Nintendo lasts, look no further!

I've had this for four years now and as long as it sees the case every time it's not being used it lasts like new all the way along. It's more of a novelty of course now as more advanced (though not better in my opinion) models have come out since. But for a bit of an old style game when I have a spare hour it really can't be beaten.

The spare stylus came in handy just last year when I finally lost the original, I was glad it served a purpose, and the buttons hold up very nicely. The cartridge slot at the back has not lost any of its connection and so all my original games I bought with it still work perfectly. The matte black finish has many scratches but this is to be expected, overall I am impressed that the integrity of the hard shall is still strong. As well as the cartridge slot the other ports also retain connection like new.

So although it's a dinosaur in the scheme of things, I'm still as happy with it as I was the day I nought it, even if it only sees use once every few months now.

Philips QT4090/32 Black Pro Stubble Trimmer with Turbo Vacuum and Additional Stubble Comb (Packaging Varies)
Offered by AOT (UK VAT registered)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice beard trimmer., 20 Dec. 2014
I've always liked Philips' shaving equipment and this didn't disappoint, the different lengths are accurate enough to give me a length that is even and with no stray hairs. The vacuum works quite well, though I'd say that 60-70% of the hairs still fall into the sink if you're doing a longer trim.

I've owned this for a few years now and the blades haven't needed oiling, as they were advertised so I'm pleased there. The time left charge indicator holds up and is accurate and the precision trimmer is nice and small and runs at a good enough clip as to not leave too long stubble in it's wake.

3 metre USB 2.0 high speed printer cable for Samsung ML-1660.
3 metre USB 2.0 high speed printer cable for Samsung ML-1660.
Offered by Ciberdirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, lasts years, 20 Dec. 2014
I've had this for around 3 years now and it is like new, there's not really much to say other than I needed a longer cable and wanted one that wouldn't pack in after a few months, and I got it, the connection is still strong and the cable a good enough build that it protects the wires.

Pyramid Trek 50 (formerly Repel 55) Insect/Mosquito Repellent DEET Spray - 120ml
Offered by Blue Sky Components Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Gave me peace of mind in south east asia., 20 Dec. 2014
I was very ignorant before my first trip out of Europe to Taiwan, the fact that injections are needed when visiting these more tropical places escaped me so when I went to the doctors two weeks before I was due to fly out I was told it was too late to have a Japanese encephalitis jab, on the advice of the nurse I went and bought this Repel 55.

Though the risk of this illness in Taiwan is nowhere near what it is in other more tropical places I was glad to have this to be sure, even if I was spending the majority of my 2 month trip in the northern cities. I actually forgot to use it for the first week or so and paid the price with 11 annoying bites. After that every evening on my way out I sprayed and rubbed it into my arms and before I slept, and didn't have another bite until I forgot to put it on again!

In retrospect I don't think I needed one quite this strong as the smell is noticeable, though not too pungent as to attract people's attention to you on the metro, unless you're packed like sardines!

So overall very happy, gave me fantastic peace of mind and will be trying out the sightly weaker DEET content Repel next time I'm out there again.

Logitech B100 Optical Mouse - Black
Logitech B100 Optical Mouse - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good emergency mouse, and a good standard "office" mouse, 20 Dec. 2014
It's advertised as an office mouse and I think it serves that limited purpose perfectly, I needed a quick stand in mouse when my laptop gave up and I had to use my much older laptop that didn't work with bluetooth anything.

The mouse was adequate for what I wanted to do, mainly Photoshop and InDesign work, it's quite sharp and responsive so long as the job isn't too intricate, requiring more detail. I used it for a week whilst I waited for my laptop to be repaired and if I had to wait longer I probably would've branched out to get a more versatile mouse, but for what it is, and for this price I was very happy indeed. And I shall be using it again the next time I have to fire up the old laptop.

Ricco 320 W 2 Channel Bluetooth Soundbar Hi-Fi Speaker with Home Cinema Music System

3.0 out of 5 stars You can definitely do better for the price, 20 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although I'm giving this 3 stars it's probably closer to 3.5 and, for the money, this is just not up to scratch.

Straight out the box you can tell how cheap the LCD old school (not in a good way) display and click buttons are around it, you have choices for Bluetooth, Aux, Coaxial and radio, all of which I experienced feedback from, especially the radio, which comes with one of those wire aerials you have to hang up somewhere, which I think is totally ludicrous for anything these days.

The bluetooth didn't connect to my iPad 2, but that may be trouble with the iPad instead of the bar as it did connect quickly to an HTC One. The radio is poor, as I alluded to before. Nut overall the sound quality is surprisingly good, you can change the bass and treble to - and + values and also have the option of attaching it to a sub woofer. It's worth noting that when connected to a TV in a medium sized room you do need to have the volume of the bar to the maximum (32), and there is a tiny bit of distortion when you do.

Overall I think this is fine, but for this price you can get some well known reliable brands that are much better quality.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't fall for the hype, a trendy expensive bottle doesn't equate to good tequila, 18 Dec. 2014
A few years or so ago I finally thought it's probably worth branching out from my regular Cuervo supermarket tequila to something more, exotic, and just better quality. I've been through a few well known brands and lesser known brands, this was actually the first I went for as it just came out, I fell for the attractive packaging, the "aged" design and just bought it on a limb. I was happy enough with it for a time too, knowing nothing else but the cheaper options. Great, I thought.

Then a while later I tried another two brands, one being Don Julio, which to all intents and purposes blew this out of the water. Back to the Patron for a second though; all the hallmarks of a good sipping tequila are there: it's añejo (aged), looks fantastic and is branded well, which is what I put it's success down to, but after drinking the Don Julio straight after I could see that the Patron is harsher, more bitter and not nearly as smooth, the Julio by contrast is slightly sweeter, goes down a pleasure and has a cleaner, crisper aftertaste.

Overall this would make a nice gift, sure, but even in Mexico Patron is mainly aimed at ignorant tourists and thus only to be found in resorts, it's trendy and as it was always aimed at the high end from its inception it fits perfectly with the demographic.

The tequila probably doesn't deserve 2*, but the way it is being marketed as a true high end discerning tequila drinker's tequila is just wrong. Try Don Julio and also Corralejo and see the difference for yourself!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20