Profile for C Fox > Reviews

Content by C Fox

C Fox (Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Apple iPod touch 64GB - Black - 4th Generation (Launched Sept 2010)
Apple iPod touch 64GB - Black - 4th Generation (Launched Sept 2010)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wondered how I ever lived without this!, 8 Oct 2011
I have been living (quite happily it must be said) with a wee old 2gb original model iPod Nano and it has been a staple companion on many a journey for about 5 years (more or less lol - can't remember!). I found I was running out of room for the tracks I wanted to put onto it, however, so decided an upgrade was perhaps in order.

I really fancied one of the colourful nanos that were released a couple of years ago but I felt I just couldn't justify the expense given that I already had a fully functioning (and still with space) music player. When I came to look for them now, they are no longer sold - or in the colours I wanted second hand. It seems that music players have moved on and I have resisted moving over onto these "smart" devices with the touch screen and has all kinds of bells and whistles as they seemed all new-fangled and fussy (I'm getting old lol even though my dad swears by his iPhone!!!! I recently made the tough choice to let both my dying desktop PC and laptop go and buy a modern-day laptop that would suit my needs - which it does, but is still a clumsy device when travelling on the train so I looked again at what this iPod Touch was all about.

Its a music player - that comes in various sizes (of memory) - and I would advise buying the largest memory size you possibly can as you are gonna want to fill this thing with all sorts of stuff once you get it. Its simple to connect to your computer and existing iTunes account (or make a new one if you don't already) and the touch screen is so straightforward and intuitive that it is a joy to use. I have hardly been able to keep my hands off the thing for days lol. Even though the screen is pretty small the little touch keyboard it has is again very intuitive and I reckon even a massive man with shovels for fingers could still make some sense with it.

What I didn't realise is that you can also download the sort of apps you can get for the iPhone onto the touch so you have access instantly to all kinds of widgets and information and tools. I've been able to access to everything from university lectures on physics to a thing that will make my screen act like a torch (and much of it is free or for a very modest fee). Some, of course, won't work on the iPod as it needs an iPad so read carefully before downloading (and especially paying money!)

Hooking the thing up to your wireless network is a doddle. The only problem I have had is with transferring some of my previously purchased tunes from iTunes over to the Touch. I think this may be my own fault in that although I did back up my tunes I didn't set up home sharing before transferring my old tunes over to my new computer before authorising the new iPod.

Other than that, and the slight niggle that deleting apps you didn't want seemed unintuitive as there seemed no obvious way to do it in settings or the app's own menu (you must hold down the icon and wait for it to wiggle and show a wee x in its top right corner which you then click and it asks if you want it deleted or not).

This gadget is a delight and has everything I've ever wondered about the iPhone (apart from the phone part as I like to be able to leave that aspect behind sometimes :D

Cat Paradise: Vol 1: v. 1
Cat Paradise: Vol 1: v. 1
by Yuji Iwahara
Price: 6.27

4.0 out of 5 stars A very neat Manga, 5 Oct 2011
This is a short Manga of 5 volumes and if you love cats then this is a wonderful tale. Its set in a special school where the students are allowed to keep their pet cats. The reason for this, however, is part of the mystery of the story and the way the cats talk to their humans is brilliantly executed. It does get a little dark so I would not give this series for an under-12 to read despite the cute cats.

Lego Star Wars Mini Figure Magnet Set - Boba Fett, Princess Leia & Royal Guard
Lego Star Wars Mini Figure Magnet Set - Boba Fett, Princess Leia & Royal Guard
Offered by Collectables Galore
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fridge Magnets, but not as we know it!, 5 Oct 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
I have to point this out - the mini-figures are detachable from the magnetic bases. So if you collect (or have a kid who is nuts about Star Wars) then this set is pretty good. You get the minifigures which will be pleasing enough in themselves but the Lego fridge magnets have also provided entertainment as my son feels free to place figures or constructions of the moment for display on the fridge :)

Lego Leia in her bikini is an odd choice for this set - my son gave her to me lol - but this is frankly an economic way to get the classic Boba Fett Lego minifigure without having to take out a second mortgage.

Fullmetal Alchemist 3-in-1 Edition 1
Fullmetal Alchemist 3-in-1 Edition 1
by Hiromu Arakawa
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant Manga, 5 Oct 2011
Although I have loved Manga and Anime for years I have often felt lost in a sea of titles. However, this was always one title that kept cropping up as a good read and since I'm on a tight budget the 3-in-1 volumes seemed like a perfect choice.

The paper quality isn't great - thinner than a regular manga - but that does not detract from the brilliance of this story. I have since picked up (in fact pre-ordered!) the subsequent 3-in-1 volumes and have been blown away that this story can make me laugh and cry in turns. Obviously the artwork in combination with the writing makes that possible and 9 volumes in (3 of these combined books in other words) I am so transfixed with this story that I am now considering purchasing the single volumes hereafter since I find no plans so far to keep releasing them as 3-in-1s.

I don't want to give out spoilers or a resume of the book as I am sure that can be found elsewhere but I feel it important to mention that while I had my misgivings about the story at first, as it progressed it is oddly deep. I find myself preferring it to Bleach (which I have been enjoying borrowed copies of!) mainly because the vulnerabilities of the main characters make sense given their circumstances. At first there is a kind of episodic feel (that I did enjoy) whereby we see the brothers travelling about and solving (and causing!) some problems. This sets the stage as it were for the world in which they live and the rules they have to abide by and then the main story arc begins - along with the conflicts and problems of their pasts and present situation.

This is a wonderful Manga and this volume is such a good buy either if you are new to Manga and are looking for a decent read or you already know this is a great Manga and are on a tight budget!

Hoping they will release a 10-11-12 volume soon or else my library of Manga is going to look weird(lol)!

LEGO Star Wars 7958: Advent Calendar
LEGO Star Wars 7958: Advent Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Mum Ever Award...., 5 Oct 2011
...Goes to me for buying this for my son! My boy is totally into Star Wars at the moment and loves Lego too (but isn't much into chocolate) so when I saw that there was a Lego Star Wars advent calendar this was such a no-brainer so straight in the basket it went!

We've had the Lego City advent calendar in the past which was a huge hit. The first year I saw Lego advent calendars on sale I thought "fantastic!" but I delayed too long in buying so there were none left. I bought a Playmobil one instead - which, to be fair was lovely and such a delight, the toy animals still get played with.

This set, however, is simply a must for any Star Wars fan but since I have bought this early my main worry is keeping my son's mitts off it until December! While this is expensive for an advent calendar it is simply worth it for the joy it brings - and its Lego so even if the toy itself goes to bits, it will still inevitably find itself in other projects sooner or later.

And yes, buy early as Lego advent calenders of any kind are impossible to get near December as I found out to my cost three years ago.

Black Death [DVD] [2010]
Black Death [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Sean Bean
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 5.81

2.0 out of 5 stars Neither one thing nor the other...., 26 Sep 2011
This review is from: Black Death [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
OK, lets start on the plus - you do not notice that this is a low-budget movie as the filming and performances are superb all round. There are scenes that you could almost imagine being high-budget CGI jobs but thanks to clever photography, make-up and lighting you get a really good "gritty" medieval atmosphere. And Sean Bean - need I say more! (This is why I got this movie as I am a fan of his!) ... BUT....

I feel the basic plot lets the whole thing down very much. While it nearly had me guessing in places, it followed the obvious avenues rather than the unexpected and then was basically a contrivance for the entire premise of the movie (scared religious people and plague = witch hunting = one man's vendetta against womankind).

I felt the entire point got lost along the way. Was it about religious intolerance? Was it about how a matriarchy could be bad? Was it a story of illicit love gone awry? Was it a story of seriously messed up soldiers seeking redemption (in the form of suicide?)... while I am not asking for a simple linear story, usually when writing there is something between the layers that the writer and/or director attempts to convey. I do not think the story was strong enough for such.

I think it was supposed to be about one man's journey (the monk) from being a pious man of God to becoming a woman-hating witch-hunter who sees "her" everywhere and out-blood-lusts the old soldiers (who mostly died anyway). Perhaps it also tried to be a schlock horror and could have managed that with a bit more budget for tomato ketchup.

Its all a bit "Wicker Man" meets "Deliverance" (without certain standout scenes!) and while it was worthy enough to watch to the end I find myself more annoyed and feel it was a waste of performance by some brilliant actors!

Entangled
Entangled
by Graham Hancock
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Stunning... but for a couple of niggles!, 28 April 2011
This review is from: Entangled (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and in fact couldn't put it down contriving lengthy visits to the loo to take in another chapter wherever possible! The pace of this book is incredible, the characters dazzling and I was continually astonished at how Hancock was able to maintain the breakneck pace throughout without dropping or confusing me - despite some challenging concepts.

I was, however, disappointed by the ending. After the incredible pace the novel just.... stopped. I am presuming there will be another book or a continuation of this story otherwise this ending would be utterly disappointing!

From what I gather, this was Hancock's first work of fiction and he explores some amazing ideas about human existence, our past and what happens to us during near death experience or a shamanic trance. The portrayal of the prehistoric world of Cro-Magnon and Neanderthal is believable and the transitions into the modern world oddly flow well.

This would have had four or five stars if it wasn't for the abrupt and rather lame ending!

The Invention of Everything Else
The Invention of Everything Else
by Samantha Hunt

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this more..., 28 April 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The book is well written in that its a sensual delight to read... but while I can make sense of some very complex tales, I never found sense in this one. I think its one of those books you have to just let wash over you as a kind of "word voyage" and leave any ideas of sense at the door :) I really liked the premise of this book and there were some very interesting ideas going on... I just feel that they got a bit lost in execution.

Danish-English/English-Danish Dictionary and Phrasebook (Hippocrene Dictionary and Phrasebooks) (Hippocrene Dictionary & Phrasebooks)
by Erna Maj
Price: 10.57

3.0 out of 5 stars A good value place to start, 28 Sep 2009
I bought this book because I wanted something that would give me a more than just a phrase book and this fulfilled just that. The book is clear and easy to use with a simple danish-english dictionary at the back, which is extremely useful as it provides the danish plural form and whether it is an en/et word so can really help while you are learning the language. If you are looking for something to accompany a language course then this book does provide a lot of useful information, albeit in the usual "tourist information" format. This is a great place to start but you will soon find yourself needing the more comprehensive dictionaries and grammar books in order to get a serious grasp of the danish language.

Stargate SG-1 - Season 1-10 - Complete/The Ark Of Truth/Continuum [DVD]
Stargate SG-1 - Season 1-10 - Complete/The Ark Of Truth/Continuum [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Dean Anderson
Offered by gameshop_fuerth
Price: 113.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Stargate SG-all-at-once!, 28 Sep 2009
I bought this because at 100 for 10 seasons of a cracking show plus two movies was simply insane to pass up. Obviously the disk content is wonderful and exactly what I expected, being a fan of the show anyway, and I do like that each season was contained in the standard 6-disk box that many other of my favourite shows come in. I am glad that it came in the fairly plain slip-box rather than anything too fancy as it does make it easy to store. One thing that did disappoint me, however, and why I gave this four stars rather than five, was the lack of an episode listing in each box (as in Stargate Atlantis or Buffy box sets)but that is truly my only quibble. Other than that - this is a must for any stargate fan!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3