Profile for Riverside Rocker > Reviews

Skin
Skin
Price: 11.87

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm Looking At The Big Sky!, 11 July 2012
This review is from: Skin (Audio CD)
My impression is that Panic Room write & record in a quiet place looking out over rolling landscapes, seas & big skies. For me these are the kind of places it is best listened to; or with a glass of red wine in a quiet evening. It is a very clean sound, with excellent musicianship & sublime vocals. I wouldn't take too much notice of the prog rock label - it's a long way off Yes & Genesis. I occasionally yearn for a bit of volume from the keyboards, more guitar...a bit more bombast. I don't think they have peaked yet. I'm prepared to wait a little...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2014 12:46 PM BST

Delicate Flame of Desire
Delicate Flame of Desire
Price: 17.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful,melodic,uplifting and err lush!, 6 Jan 2012
Powerful,dramatic,soaring chiming singing guitar solos,sublime female vocals with layers of harmonies & huge hooks that stay in your head for days. The greatest album of all time.

HEART FULL OF SKY
HEART FULL OF SKY
Price: 12.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Some surprises.A good album, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: HEART FULL OF SKY (Audio CD)
Have been a Mostly fan for many years. This album is a fine addition to their library. There is the regular Josh & Findlay led songs & soundscapes but for me the stand out track is Silver Glass by short-term member Chris Johnson. I actually own the 2 disc limited edition which I would recommend to anyone who can get hold of one. If 1 disc could be made from the material of the 2 it would have been a 5* release. Never the less this is highly recommended.

RADIATOR BOOSTER MK3
RADIATOR BOOSTER MK3
Offered by Green Money Savers
Price: 22.95

3.0 out of 5 stars No obvious increase in temperature, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: RADIATOR BOOSTER MK3
This item sits on top of the radiator towards the wall and intends to take in the warm stagnant air from the back of the radiator and pushes it out through a small fan, thus circulating the warm air better (I think). The operation is simple. Just plug in & away you go. It can vibrate a little and become quite noisy but they have included soft sticky pads to soften it. I have not really noticed any additional benefit in temprature but hope it has perhaps saved a little in gas?? I am not so sure and actually wish I hadn't bothered....

Live At The BBC
Live At The BBC
Price: 11.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch Lizzy at a bargain price, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: Live At The BBC (Audio CD)
I usually steer clear of these type of releases but happily received this as a present. I went straight to disc 2 as my era of Lizzy was the 70's (Live & Dangerous was one of my first LP's) and immersed myself in it via headphones. I was simply staggered. These are quality 'album type' recordings. It captures the live feel perfectly. Whilst I am a Lynott/Gorham/Robertson/Downey fan I have also gained a new appreciation of Eric Bell. The original 3 piece line up is staggering;Eric Bell widdling away showing some fantastic guitar work all covered perfectly with Phil Lynott's unbeatable story telling & imagery. The sleeve notes indicates input from former members so don't worry about it's worthiness - just buy it! (Now I want the box set,damn!)

Eclipse
Eclipse

4.0 out of 5 stars Huge power chords - is this what you want?, 8 Jun 2011
This review is from: Eclipse (Audio CD)
This is probably the heaviest Journey album, so if you prefer Faithfully, Open Arms & Little Girl etc over Escape, Separate Ways & Change For The Better, look away now! I think this album reflects that the band have been touring a lot over the last few years. It is very Neal Schon/Guitar orientated. Arnel sings really well, although I found the lyrics (not his) a bit 'wordy'(sometimes less is more!). I think this album answers those who have called for less ballads - well they have got them. I think it will prove to be a big part of their legacy but next time they need to take a bit more Jonathan Cain, add more keyboards & throw in a weepy!

Lyve [DVD] [2008]
Lyve [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Lynyrd Skynyrd

5.0 out of 5 stars The Boys Done Good!, 5 Nov 2010
This review is from: Lyve [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I am sure purists will say it is not the same but this line-up give a superb show and are a fine tribute to the pre-plane crash band. New material stands up against the old (check out Edge Of Forever & Vicious Cycle CD's) and they have enhanced 'Tuesday's Gone' & 'Freebird' with a string section. Powerful & melodic, no filler - all killer!
The band simply refuse to die despite having to contend with a shocking list of tradegy to this day. This DVD features Billy Powell, Hughie Thomasson & Ean Evans who have all since passed away.
I would urge any past Skynyrd fans to buy this, and at less than a fiver, you can't go wrong!