Profile for Mike > Reviews

Content by Mike

Mike (Hunmanby,North Yorkshire)

ClimeMET CM7088 Wireless Electronic Rain Gauge with Rainfall Outdoor Sensor. Perfect for any Weather Enthusiast
Offered by The UK Weather Store

1.0 out of 5 stars Good product on initial examination BUT SEE FURTHER COMMENTS, 16 July 2014
Good product on initial examination. Instructions could be clearer re setting up; they say to check the radio signal can be received before permanently mounting any of the units. However the remote signal transmit signal ( noteworthy the Chinese have yet to use spell check as they spell it 'transmite') in my experience only shows when data is transmitted as is not a 'signal' implying permanent showing.

Worth noting that the time signal is relayed from Germany and is therefore one hour ahead of UK therefore need to adjust to minus 1 hour so that the automatic time signal is correct. I also found that initially the radio controlled time icon was a little erratic but one is able to set the time manually which will be corrected later when the signal is received.

The rainfall gauge is accurate compared to a manual gauge sited next to it so far. I noticed a comment that said this was not the case in heavy rainfall. This will be checked later.

The outside and inside temperatures are accurate, except that when sunny the outside one is only useful when in shade. Then again, in my opinion the outside temperature is more useful outside of sunrise and sunset.

Anyone finding the print small may of course find the manual on the web and download/ enlarge.

As noted above one reviewer had noted that the rainfall accuracy was poor when rainfall was heavy.
We had some heavy rainfall recently. The new manual gauge was sited within 3 feet of this device. The manual gauge recorded 15mm whilst the ClimeMET recorded 10.8mm - a 38.8% variance.

In short this device is a total waste of money - more Chinese rubbish. I am sure the anticipated number of complaints and consequent refunds are built into the cost price. There is only one loser.

Whilst on this subject I was offered and received a FREE CM2011 Thermometer. It has an outdoor sensor which again transmits to an indoor unit. After initial set up the outside temperature went blank. I reset it according to the instructions and the same thing happened. And guess what the instructions say: "Please note for optimum performance we suggest placing the remote sensor in a sheltered environment. Direct rainfall can effect the accuracy of outdoor readings and cause lasting damage to the device."

Needless to say enough said. Both devices are in the bin.

Songmics 4 Tier Natural Bamboo Shoe Rack Storage Organiser Holder LBS94B
Songmics 4 Tier Natural Bamboo Shoe Rack Storage Organiser Holder LBS94B
Offered by Songmics

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - very badly assembled., 30 Jan 2014
This product should be good. It can be used to store shoes or other items on the flat shelves.

The wood is good and it assembled easily - BUT when I took it out the box one of the slatted shelves fell into pieces because the slats had not been glued into place. Also one of the dowel joints had been broken off.

One of the worst presented products I have bought in 45 years.

Creative D200 Bluetooth Wireless Speaker with High Quality AptX Audio and Aux-in
Offered by PreisCompany

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with the sound and operation., 10 Jun 2013
With most of my music being downloaded via Amazon MP3 store I decided to sell my £500 plus TEAC system and bought an MP3 WiFi and this speaker system.

It doesn't take up any room as it sits in front of the TV on the stand (it is below screen height).

The Bluetooth system is great and to my ears the sound is good with more than enough volume.It is also easy to plug into any 13amp socket in the house - truly portable.

Samsung Galaxy S 8GB Wi-Fi MP3 Player with 4.2 inch Display - White (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Browse and Play - Great Value, 4 May 2013
Bought this item as an MP3 player and to keep up to date with weather, bank accounts,daily news and traffic information.

I believe in not expecting too much from a device i.e. I do not expect it to perform beyond it's limitations. I loaded my music in two seconds by copy and paste from my computer. It holds all the music I want.

Google Play contains sufficient apps for the items above and therefore can keep up to date without going to my computer; especially if I want to check something when I should be asleep. I have a BT Home Hub which is very reliable and therefore this works well with this device.

Getting familiar with all the device menus is important because if too many applications are running in the background this may slow down other internet information one is viewing. You are in control, so check out all the menus.

It is worth checking if the internet connection appears slow that the device has not re-scanned and picked up a hub other than your own - the signal may be weak.

Re battery life; it is depends again on the settings, especially the screen brightness. Again there is a menu item which shows all the applications that have been running and the percentage use by each application.

In summary I am very happy with this device.

I am not an expert on music quality but I would suggest for the average person that it is good. I have owned a Teac system costing over £500 and in my opinion this sounds just as good.

Pure Sensia 200D Connect Portable Wireless Music and Radio System with Colour Touchscreen and USB Record - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Why is this product on the market?, 1 April 2013
Before purchase I read every review I could find on this product, including other websites and so-called expert technical magazines.I had doubts on it's reliability.

After the first day I was feeling reasonably happy. Having read the on-line manual before purchase I knew how to set the radio up.(Similar to a Roberts 83i).It connected to my BT hub without difficulty. I plugged in my USB, played some tracks and recorded some instant and timed recordings, and, played those back.(I am not interested in connecting to my computer to play back music especially when it only takes seconds to transfer music to a USB).

However,the next day it had difficulty locating my USB and then when I could see the USB on the radio screen it would not display the contents.Having switched to internet radio and back to USB the same thing happened again. It then decided to reboot itself.Also periodically the screen went blank and did not respond to touch.

The touch screen is reasonably good but in my opinion is not consistent i.e. sometimes unresponsive and sometimes super-sensitive.

I bought this radio as I liked the idea of the screen size and the information on the music being played. The most important point was the ability to record music. I believe the radio has difficulty locating the USB as it also tries, at the same time, to locate other networks. When this doesn't work it obviously will not find the USB.

I have similar views to others in that I dislike intensely the persistent Pure adverts. If Pure thinks this is what customers want to look at I am speechless!!

The wireless connection on this radio is unreliable. My Blackberry phone has no trouble locating my BT hub and the connection is faultless.I can listen to thousands of internet radio stations thought the Blackberry app which cost 75 pence.

In my opinion and I am not a radio expert Pure is marketing a product which has not been tested sufficiently. I dislike the brand actually - I don't know how they get away with, for instance, marketing radios which claim to be 'portable' but then one has to buy a chargepak to get it to work. And where does one buy the chargepak - no not in the shop but from Pure. After all when one buys a car one doesn't expect to buy it without wheels and then to have to buy those separately from another source!!!

This radio lasted 48hrs before I returned it to Amazon who, in my opinion, have a customer service second to none.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2013 4:23 PM BST

Sonixx X-Sport Wireless Bluetooth Sports Headphones / Headset With Microphone and Remote for all Smartphones (iPhone / iPad / Android / Windows / Samsung Galaxy / HTC etc.) - 3 YEAR WARRANTY (Black)
Offered by iHeadphones UK

1.0 out of 5 stars In my opinion -DON'T BUY, 15 Mar 2013
These headphones lasted about 1 1/2 hours.

The instruction booklet font size is too small to read. I had to scan it to 300% larger to read.
Either the phone was faulty or the instructions are incorrect. I started it charging , the red light came on (correct) but when I returned an hour later no light showed. The booklet says red light charging or blue light on means fully charged.
I decided to pair the headphones with my Blackberry - no problem - took 30 secs.
Decided to listen to some music. This seemed OK; BUT the booklet says, when in use, the blue LED quickly blinks once every 2 secs when NOT connected to a device BUT this light was blinking when it was connected.
Decided to phone the seller. The phone line was so bad AND I could hear an echo of my own voice after speaking. I have never experienced anything like it.

2 hours after opening the box I was closing it and printing an Amazon return label for a refund.

This item has received one star as Amazon do not allow NO stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2013 2:39 PM GMT

OCTAVE® Unisex Wrist Warmers Fingerless Gloves Regular Length - Keep Your Hands Warm and Fingers Free [Black, Small/Medium]
Offered by Octave Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy these now!!, 16 Jan 2013
Good fit,excellent warm feel which removes the gap at the wrists,the key to keeping your hands warm.Thin enough for the long arm of tops to be pulled over with comfort and also to wear gloves at the same time.Just going to order another pair for my wife who was impressed.

Sonocaddie V500 Gps
Sonocaddie V500 Gps

1.0 out of 5 stars Read review by Critical Golf before buying., 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: Sonocaddie V500 Gps (Sports)
I have owned a Sonocaddie V300 for over two years and it was faultless in operation.

I therefore,unfortunately,didn't do my homework on the V500.

Biggest fault,as found by [...] is absolutely accurate.In particular some bugginess,with the device freezing and having to turn off and on again to restore functionality.Your round would be ruined if this happened in the monthly medal.Playing partners would not be pleased whilst you sorted it out, not to mention that suddenly your yardage to the pin is rubbish.

The other main additional feature on this model is the ability to tap a point on the course between you and the pin thus giving the distance between you and this chosen point and also distance between this point and the pin.As there is no ability to zoom in benefits of this feature are greatly reduced.

My advice would be to buy the V300 plus which I have done having returned the V500.The screen it is not as big and therefore the font size but as least you may rely on it.Don't forget Sonocaddie is the only GPS whereby you can add and delete course hazards.Great when a hazard is not a hazard as you see it and you want to add say a lay-up point or put in the position for Winter-Greens.

I spoke to Sonocaddie re these observations.They commented that of the thousands sold I was only the second person to have contacted them on the freezing issue.The Sonocaddie website does appear to address this issue and suggests removing the back and refitting to ensure it is butted up securely under the lip before closing the battery compartment lid.

Roberts Stream 83i Stereo DAB/FM/WiFi Internet Radio with 3 Way Speaker System
Roberts Stream 83i Stereo DAB/FM/WiFi Internet Radio with 3 Way Speaker System

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Radio BUT read additional comment 15/09/2012, 18 July 2012
I feel the most important thing to do is as it advises 'Read the Manual FIRST'.I found the manual on the web before I bought this radio and read it TWICE.The result it took me 30 minutes to open the box,load a newly bought USB stick;the folders already set up,as advised;(I put all music tracks for one artist in one folder).

I then connected the radio to my home hub having pre-read the Roberts instructions and my home hub instructions.

I then registered the radio with the website wifiradio-frontier.Get the radio access code before going on the site(Page 30).One can listen to stations and select them as 'Favourites' and put the selections in folders which one names personally.When logging off your computer and turning on the radio the folders containing your selections are there to play.

The reception is excellent.The ability to listen to podcasts is great for news and business.

If you wish to listen via a wired connection one would need to buy an ethernet cable(not supplied).Your home hub should have spare connection slots for this.

Additional comment: I noticed the handle appeared loose a week or so ago and then was unsure whether it had always been like that.However, I took it on holiday with me and nearly dropped it when one side of the handle became detached and the other end hanging on very loose.I asked in Comet if they had come across this and they had not experienced this problem ever.I have now ordered a replacement!!.Watch this space.

I contacted Amazon who were Ist class in their approach to this problem.They guided me through the returns process and supplied a replacement radio of the same make within a few days.Excellent service,as usual.