Profile for Ian Christians > Reviews

Content by Ian Christians

Ian Christians (Berlin, Germany)

Love's Truck Stop
Love's Truck Stop

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Love's Truck Stop (Audio CD)
I discovered Matraca after knowing she wrote (and sang, see youtube) "Back when we were beautiful". For me, a country music fan from Emmylou to Caitlin Rose, Matraca has it all. Why she is not famous as a performer beats me. I will buy anything she records. This is a great album of which "My heart will never break this way again" is devastating.

Own Side Now
Own Side Now

5.0 out of 5 stars A country star!, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Own Side Now (Audio CD)
Bought her later album and was a little critical of obvious influences (Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash) but loved the songs, some sticking indelibly in the memory. This earlier CD is just as good, less sugary, and the tunes again are memorable - this is her point of distinction I feel - you can't help humming along. In both CDs she leads with particularly strong numbers, "Learning to ride" is a country delight.

Friday Night Lights - Season 1 - Complete [DVD]
Friday Night Lights - Season 1 - Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Blue Deckert
Offered by Champion Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous series, 21 April 2013
As I now start on Season 5, I have to say that this is a truly wonderful series. Loving American football is the icing on the cake, but is not required. It is aspirational and deals with the reality of life for parents and teenagers, and many issues of morality in life. Coach Eric Taylor and his wife Tammy exemplify a loving marriage after 20 years and deal with life's fortunes and misfortunes together. In the characters are the good, the bad, the beautiful and the ugly, and they are so real - superb acting that you don't notice. It also has lessons for how a community can be uplifted by a team sport. Had to buy Series 4 and 5 through amazon.fr but no sweat.

The Stand-In
The Stand-In

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, with lots of influences, 14 April 2013
This review is from: The Stand-In (Audio CD)
I listened to this album, purchased as a "If you liked this, you will love that" (either from Matraca Berg or Emmy-Lou) many times as I drove from London to Bordeaux. I liked it, but the more I listened the more I heard earlier tunes and strong influences. The opening "No-one to call" opens like a great Stones song (the simple riff seems original but I could see Keith, Ronnie and Charlie!!) The main tune is (ironically) almost identical to Johnny Cash's "Please give my love to Rose"!!!! Maybe she called the Man in Black in the sky. And in the final guitar solo it sounded exactly like Hank Marvin (Shadows/Cliff Richard) with the same chord sequences that are seared in my memory from way back. "Dallas" sounds like Red River Valley. "Everywhere I go" background made me think Tina Turner (Private Dancer). I really enjoyed it, particularly the opening number, but there are no duds. Drumming somewhat monotonous, and sometimes too heavy. I'll explore her further as I love country music and she is country.

Romantic Symphonies
Romantic Symphonies

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and original classical interpretations, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: Romantic Symphonies (Audio CD)
This is a fabulous bargain, bringing some long-deleted recordings back for us. They may be "romantic works", but they are conducted by a great classical symphonic conductor. The Tchaikovsky, Dvorak and Berlioz lose their national characteristics and stand extraordinarily well as written in the score, structure clear, almost no vibrato. To me their greatness is better revealed. I could go into detail but will just mention two. I was lucky enough to hear Klemperer conducting Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique at the time the recording was made. The March to the Scaffold is terrifying, the Witches' Sabbath - taken at a uniquely slow tempo - totally macabre. The tension at the end - captured on the recording - was incredible. Schumann's Spring Symphony - seldom heard - has surely never come across more grandly - even the rather weak theme in the last movement is integrated perfectly. Klemperer was one of the greatest interpreters ever, his oeuvre has a consistency that is remarkable - integrity, structure and the shedding of new light. There must be a Klemperer fan working at EMI Classics to give us these great recordings for comparative peanuts.