Profile for S Magraw > Reviews

Content by S Magraw

S Magraw

It's My Body: A Book to Teach Young Children How to Resist Uncomfortable Touch (Children's safety series & abuse prevention)
by Lory Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Good material for parents, 6 Oct. 2007
I would say to anyone looking at buying this book to disregard the previous reader's review. It's a strange review from someone who must be interested enough in the subject of keeping children safe to be reading these types of books. Yes, the very subject itself is grotesque. That is true, Karen. It is difficult to think about. However, unfortunately we don't live in Utopia: children can be sexually abused and usually teachers and parents do not spot it. This is born out by current statistics. To believe anything else is naivete. I also know this because I was abused as a child and my parents or teachers did not notice. As is also usual for people abused as children, I didn't disclose to anyone what had happened to me until I was an adult in my 30s. The abuse has blighted my life and has brought me close to ending my life on occasion. I'm recovering now through counselling, and I am determined to use anything in my power to protect my own young children from abuse and the abject misery that it brings. Books like this one can help to empower children to say no - to let childen know that it's OK to say no to an adult, if they don't feel happy with the situation.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2012 1:44 PM GMT