ARRAY(0xa4d728a0)

Profile for Book Chick City > Reviews

Content by Book Chick City

Book Chick City (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The Last Hour of Gann
The Last Hour of Gann
Price: 4.19

5.0 out of 5 stars One of My Favourite Reads of the Year, 4 Nov 2013
OMG! I loved this book. Amazing.

The Last Hour of Gann is dark, intense, romantic, sad, violent, suspenseful, thought provoking; I could go on. It had everything. It's a combination of science fiction, fantasy and romance, and it works so well. The characters are amazing; some you love and adore, others you hate with a passion.

The heroine, Amber, is strong and determined, which I loved, and the hero, Meoraq, is a sexy lizardman. Amber and Meoraq are amazing characters, and although they are very different from each other, they worked really well together, as well as individuals. I felt every emotion, every physical thing that happened to Amber and Meoraq; and a lot happens to them.

Violence is prevalent throughout with rape, beatings and murder; definitely not for the faint hearted. But it's all relevant to the story and the world the characters inhabit. Nothing is added just for the sake of it. The alien world the author has created is vibrantly described, I really felt as though I was there.

This story is so much more than a romance, the plot is well thought out and executed, and the supporting cast of characters are just as interesting as the main characters. It's quite an epic story and I loved it. I will definitely be picking up something else from this author in the very near future.

Smith is an awesome writer. I honestly can't recommend this enough. One of my favourite reads of the year.

Lick: Stage Dive 1
Lick: Stage Dive 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Great New Adult Romance, 29 Oct 2013
Lick is Kylie Scott's first foray into the New Adult genre, and having read her adult erotic romance series set in a zombie infested world, I did wonder how she would make the move to new adult contemporary romance. I needn't have worried. Scott makes the transition with ease. I thoroughly enjoyed Lick. The heroine and hero are both loveable characters. The opening scene of Ev waking up with a wedding ring on her finger (and what a wedding ring it is - wowza), and not remembering anything of how it got there or of the night before, is just genius. I was giggling to myself all over the place.

But as the story moves forward, you realise that although Ev can't remember anything, Dave remembers everything. This was a great twist, and an interesting start to the story, that begged me to read on to find out how it all worked out. I found that it went from a light, fairly humourous read to something with a lot more depth and meaning. It was different to what I expected after reading the opening scene, but in a good way.

The plot lends itself to show how different their lives were. The rich opulence of Dave's compared to the normality of Ev's did make you think how on earth they were going to make their relationship work. But it did. In fact, as Laura has already touched upon, they complimented each other so well. Whatever the other was missing, they other was able to fill. With Dave it was substance and meaning to his life and with Ev it was confidence to walk her own path. They helped each other, which in my eyes is a great foundation to a wonderful, long lasting relationship.

When I finished, Lick, I really felt as those these two were going to be ok. They had their heads screwed on straight, their priorities in order, and enough sexual chemistry to get them through the rough times.

Having read a few new adult romances, I expected some sexy-times, but this was written in a way that wasn't over the top. It was a small part of the overall story, although the actual romance between Ev and Dave is very romantic. I though Dave's passion for topless cuddles endearing and sweet. It showed a side to him that said he loved skin to skin contact and was a little bit soppy. Don't we all love that in a guy? Not too much, but just enough to have us swoon?

Ev is not as experienced as Dave in the bedroom department but then that's what you would expect from a girl who's sole focus is architecture school, and Dave being a rock star stud. Scott manages to bring these two together in a fun but realistic way, and I loved their banter, their fears, their lust. It all culminated into a sexy romance that tugged at my heart.

There are a few other characters that capture my interest. As Laura mentions, Mal is going to be the focus of the next novel in the series. Mal is Dave's best friend and a cheeky chappy, so I have no doubt that his book is going to be mighty fun to read. I'm also intrigued by Dave's brother who has all sorts of issues. He has more of a darkness about him and his relationship with Dave is fractured, but I'm hoping his story will be told as I would love to meet the girl who manages to break that hard shell.

VERDICT

Lick is a combination of fun and angstiness (is that even a word?), and as with all Scott's books, she manages to combine these aspects so well without the reader feeling it's all a bit over the top. This is one of the best NA romance books I've read and I would definitely recommend you pick it up as soon as possible.

Waiting for Ty (Lovers and Friends)
Waiting for Ty (Lovers and Friends)
Price: 1.11

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun M/M Romance, 29 Oct 2013
The premise for Waiting for Ty is an intriguing one. Two guys, who have become the best of friends after meeting four year's previously, are sexually attracted to each other without the other knowing.

Reporter, Tyler Coil, is travelling to see his sexy best friend, Landon Burke, staying at his place while he works on a story. He's nervous as hell because he doesn't want his feelings to betray him. He's always felt a strong connection with Landon but has never acted on it for fear of the consequences.

Ty and Landon greet each other as always, but after a quick hello, a couple of beers, a slice of pizza and half a football game, they are ripping each other's clothes off. It's difficult to really become connected with the romance as it moves along quite quickly. The fact that neither Ty nor Landon have been with a guy before is lost in the lust of their first time together. It was all a little rushed for my liking.

King can certainly write hot sex scenes though, these two guys were hot for each other and it showed; the pages sizzled. But as they hadn't been with another guy before, a little more hesitation and anxiety about what they were about to do would have given authenticity to the story. Instead they seemed to be totally at ease with it, as out came the lube and off they went!

With just a few extra pages their first night together could have been much more realistic and meaningful, and I would have been able to immerse myself completely. As it was I found the quickness of them getting in bed together a little jarring and it took away from the impact of the situation for both guys, because, for them, this was no one-night stand.

Ty and Landon spend the entire weekend together until Ty decides that what they are doing isn't a good idea. He cares for Landon but he can't ever see himself telling his God-loving family that he is in a relationship with a man, they would disown him, and he worries about what his work colleagues will think of him. So Ty makes the decision to walk away, neither knowing if they will be able to even continue their friendship.

Of course things don't run smoothly from here on out, and both Ty and Landon go through quite a few ups and downs, with their family and with each other, but I won't give away too much. Let's just say, overall I did enjoy this story, despite my misgivings.

VERDICT:

It is a shame Waiting for Ty is such a short read as it had potential to be very good. Unfortunately because of its length much of the substance needed was missing. However, Waiting for Ty is a fun m/m romance. I would still recommend if you're looking for a quick, sexy read. Though this is the second book in the Lovers and Friends series, it contains a completely different set of people and so can be read as a stand-alone.

Archangel's Storm: A Guild Hunter Novel
Archangel's Storm: A Guild Hunter Novel
by Nalini Singh
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Guild Hunter Series - Book #5, 29 Oct 2013
Recently I've been on a bit of a contemporary romance kick, so it was lovely to delve back into paranormal romance with one of my favourite authors and series. This is Jason's book.

Upon hearing the news of Eris' death, consort to the powerful Archangel Neha, Jason is brought in to find his murderer, but first he has to bind himself to Neha's niece. From this point, we see Jason unfold from dark and secretive to seductive and loving.

Jason is cold to begin with, not nastily so, just a bit distant from others, choosing to live a solitary life other than those who he works for. Princess Mahiya is tolerated by her aunt, Neha, being the love-child of her consort and her sister. Her existence is a constant reminder to Neha of the betrayal. Fearing that her aunt's patience with her would run out, Mahiya has been waiting for the right moment to escape. And she sees Jason as the angel to help her.

With not a lot of dialogue between them and no real instant attraction, I did find it difficult to understand how their feelings turned from polite tolerance due to the situation they were in, to love. Mahiya's heart "began to ache" before they had even got to know each other. This is a little too soon for me and so it was difficult to get on board with their romance.

However, Singh's prose is as beautiful as ever and a pleasure to read. Although I wasn't particularly enamoured with these two characters, I still enjoyed the book. There's a nice mystery to solve, a few chapters containing Raphael and Elena (my favourite couple in this series) and great pacing. There's also an epic battle scene that is just so well detailed I could have been there.

Archangel's Storm did get better with each chapter and I my love for Princess Mahiya and Jason increased towards the end of the book too. There's a great showdown at the end with twists and turns to keep you on your toes.

VERDICT

Archangel's Storm is not the strongest book of the series for me, but as with all of Singh's books it was still a great read. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in this series, Archangel's Legion, which is back to Raphael and Elena - yay! I give it 3.5/5 Stars.

Fated: Serendipity e-Novella
Fated: Serendipity e-Novella
Price: 1.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute Read, 29 Oct 2013
I read Serendipity, the first book in this series, just before downloading this short little e-novella. I really enjoyed the full length novel, and although it was nice to get back to the people of Serendipity, Fated didn't really grab me, mainly due to the hero.

Kate Andrews is Faith's best friend, who was the heroine of book one. We met Kate back then too and I really liked her character, she was a good friend to Faith, especially when things got a bit rough. So I was a little disappointed to find out that Kate was being pared with Nick Mancini. Nick, who we also met for the first time in Serendipity, is not only Faith's ex, but was also one of my least favourite characters. I think Nick was the main reason I didn't fall in love with this story.

We see Kate and Nick's attraction towards one another grow, but Kate is unwilling to let her heart go, believing Nick is still in love with Faith. I completely understood her reluctance to get involved with Nick, especially when he had tried to get back with Faith only a few months previously. With Faith's help though, Nick is able to show Kate how much she means to him, and everything is explained and wrapped up nicely. I liked Kate enough that I was happy she got her HEA.

Although this story didn't quite do it for me, it is still a sweet romance, and Phillips' writing is still great. For a novella this was one of the better ones with regards to the pacing and content. The story is well balanced and felt whole, which is not always the case with such short stories.

VERDICT

Fated is a sweet romance, and I'm sure if you like contemporary romance you will enjoy this little novella.

Guilty As Sin
Guilty As Sin
Price: 5.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Romantic Suspense, 29 Oct 2013
This review is from: Guilty As Sin (Paperback)
Guilty as Sin was a lovely surprise. I haven't read anything by this author before so I didn't really have any expectations, but after reading the fab Rescue Me by Christy Reece, (review coming soon) I have been looking around for a similar read. And Guilty as Sin was it.

It begins fourteen years in the past when our hero, Tommy, and heroine, Kate, are nineteen and sixteen respectively. They are in love, and one night, when Tommy sneaks over while her parents are out, Kate's world comes crashing down around her when her brother is kidnapped and murdered. She was meant to be looking after him, but instead was making out with Tommy on the beach just outside her house.

The book then moves to the present day, and Kate is now working for a foundation dealing with missing children. She's an expert in the field, so when a girl goes missing in the same town her brother died, and where she would holiday every year with her family, Kate is forced to face her past, and Tommy.

I loved this book. The suspense is built up brilliantly, and although the suspect is a bit predictable, I still thought the writing was really good and the tension wracked up nicely as Tommy, Kate and others try and find the missing fourteen girl, Tricia. Alden is also extremely proficient at writing steamy sex scenes, and I loved how the sexual tension was developed between Kate and Tommy.

It isn't easy for them to see each other again after what happened all those years ago. With so many misunderstandings and mistakes they both find it hard to be around each other. But as time moves along, they have to work together and so begins their healing.

The mystery aspect to the plot is pretty predictable. I knew right from the word go who the culprit would be, but it didn't really spoil my enjoyment too much. The subject matter is hard hitting in that young kids, mainly girls, are being kidnapped, sexually assaulted, and murdered. We do get a few chapters from the view point of the murderer and it is a little icky but it's meant to be so. We are definitely not meant to sympathise in any way with this evil person.

I thought Alden did a great job combining a suspenseful, hard hitting subject matter with a steamy romance. Before I started reading romantic suspense seriously, I didn't think these two genres would mesh well, but when written by an expert hand, it works really well. I've definitely found a new author to glom. (And just so you know, as I write this review I'm already reading another book by Alden called Beg for Mercy - really good so far).

As well as the mystery aspect of the book, the romantic element is sooooo good. I loved these two characters, they are so real and believable. Of course Tommy is sexy as hell, but I really liked Kate too. She is strong and vulnerable all rolled into one, what she does as a career is admirable after everything she has been through, and when Tommy finds out that their lives could have been so very different if it wasn't for Kate's father, his wall comes crashing down and his feelings take over.

The only aspects of the book that were the reason it didn't get 5 stars is because the suspect is quite predictable and the ending with Kate's family is just too over the top. I don't believe it would be that easy and it jarred against the believability the rest of the novel had, which is a bit disappointing. However, the ending is satisfying with regards to the romance, and as this is a stand alone novel, I did love how everything was wrapped up nicely.

VERDICT

Guilty as Sin is a great romantic suspense. The plot is exciting and drives the story forward with lots of tension. The sexual chemistry between the hero and heroine is sizzling, the sex is steamy and the characters are loveable. If you enjoy romantic suspense, then I'm sure you'll love this book.

Glitterland
Glitterland
Price: 4.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 29 Oct 2013
This review is from: Glitterland (Kindle Edition)
Ash Winters is a literary writer who has succumbed to the dark side and written genre crime fiction. He has bipolar disorder and also suffers from depression and anxiety, preferring to stay in the four walls of his home (aka prison) than face the world. Going to the supermarket to buy groceries can send him over the edge of an overwhelming, all encompassing anxiety attack.

But one night, while at a friend's stag-do which he couldn't get out of, everything changes. He meets Darian Taylor, a stereotypical Essex boy, complete with fake tan, fake jewellery, and artificially white teeth. With the club's glaring lights, the thump of the music, and oppressive heat, compound his feelings of utter worthlessness. All Ash wants is nothing more than a one-night stand to help him forget his miserable life.

Glitterland is written from the view point of Ash, and so we get to hear his inner most thoughts, feel his anguish about his condition, allowing us to understand why he is the way he is. I think one of the most difficult things to write about is mental illness, but Hall does it with absolute expertise. Although most of the book is about Ash and his mental illness, it never moves into too dark a territory and yet still portrays the absolute despair that this illness can cause.

What prevents this book from sinking too deep into Ash's despair comes from the wonderful, Darian Taylor. He is probably one of the most funny and endearing characters I've ever read. Although this is written in the third person, we only get the perspective of Ash, I really wish I could hear Darian's thoughts too, but alas, we only get to see him through Ash's eyes and through their dialogue together. I desperately wanted to hear Darian's thoughts so I could really understand what he was thinking and feeling regarding Ash.

Some of the most perfect lines came from Darian. At first, Ash sees Darian as vulgar, fake and way too glittery. But then something happens.

Suddenly he looked up at me and grinned. An absurd, wide, endless grin filled with artificially white teeth. And I forgot how to breathe. I expected him to go back to dancing but instead he climbed onto one of the floor speakers beneath my balcony, pulling himself almost up to my eye level, like the world's most ill-suited Romeo in pursuit of the world's least convincing Juliet.

"I gotta say, babes," he said in a nasal Essex whine, "you're giving me sutcha bedroom look."

Now if you don't come from Essex, you may not get the accent, because you really need to hear it inside your head for it to be funny when it's meant to be funny. I hope that I'm wrong, and anyone, no matter where they live, understand him, as he is just hilarious. I was giggling so much throughout this book as well as my heart breaking just that little bit for Ash and how he feels he has to live his life because of his illness.

After their first sexual encounter, Ash leaves in the early hours without saying goodbye, thinking that was the last he would see of his "glittering pirate" but he was wrong. While at a signing event for his new book, Darian comes in and gives him what for, in only the Essex way.

Another copy of my book appeared in front of me, dogeared and well-read, which pleased me, just a little. I'd always found something slightly eerie about untouched books. Glass coffins, with the words sleeping inside.

"Who should I make it out to?" I asked, not quite managing to look up.

"Oh, I dunno," said a far too familiar voice, "`ow about maybe `To the geeza what I slept wif and then done a runner on in the middle of the night, making `im feel like a right slapper'?"

There are a few secondary characters, a couple of Ash's friends, Naill, Max and and Chloe a friend of Darian's as well as the mention of his and Nan, Dot. Although these weren't in any detail they still felt really well rounded characters.

VERDICT

Simply put, I loved Glitterland and I can't wait to find out what Hall has in store for us in the future.

Run From Fear: Dead Wrong Book 3 (Dead Wrong: Eternal Romance)
Run From Fear: Dead Wrong Book 3 (Dead Wrong: Eternal Romance)
Price: 6.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Third & Final Book in Trilogy, 29 Oct 2013
The third and final book in this trilogy, Run from Fear, jumps a couple of years on from Hide form Evil. This time we catch up with Talia and her sister Rosario, and of course sexy Jack. Since the take down of David Maxwell's empire, Talia has been able to live out in the open, although she doesn't broadcast who she is. She now works as a bar manager and her sister is at Stanford. Things are pretty good.

Unfortunately it all change for the worst as Talia stars to receive gifts from her past that bring a cold chill to her bones. It's a past she's tried hard to forget, but someone out there doesn't want her to. Although there are two threads to the suspense plot, as we find out their are two unconnected baddies, for one of them we really don't find out why they did the things they did, but we do get to know who both baddies are.

I can't say I loved this book as much as I did the previous two, it was addictive reading as always, but I thought it was the weakest instalment plot wise, and there were a couple of irritating characters, namely Rosario, who just acted too dumb for an 18 year old, and Talia's friend, Susie, who was too selfish for words. I did like both Talia and Jack as our hero and heroine though, and I believed in their relationship and budding romance. It did take a while for the romance aspect to get going, but I understand it had to be handled lightly due to Talia's past and what happened to her.

I enjoyed how protective Jack was of Talia and her sister and how much he wanted to keep them safe. I also liked how he kept his feelings for Talia in check because of her history. He is thoughtful, caring and just an all round nice guy. But he also has a quick temper, and although it's never aimed at the women in his life and never would be, any threat to them would be dealt with his fists and without remorse. Jack is a bad boy but with a soft center.

I was disappointed that we didn't get to see any of the characters from the previous books as it would have been nice to see how they were doing. The conclusion to this instalment was a little rushed with respect to the suspenseful plot and the romance. I would have liked it to be drawn out for a few more chapters at the end but there was a definitive conclusion, and it was pretty cute. 3 Stars.

Beg For Mercy: Dead Wrong Book 1 (Dead Wrong: Eternal Romance)
Beg For Mercy: Dead Wrong Book 1 (Dead Wrong: Eternal Romance)
Price: 6.02

3.0 out of 5 stars First in a New Romantic Suspense Series, 29 Oct 2013
Beg for Mercy is the first book in Jami Alden's Dead Wrong romantic suspense trilogy. I will start off by saying that I love this author's voice, the writing is so easy to read, and I just sink into the prose and let the story take me along for the ride. This, for me, is romantic suspense "crack" - although I really enjoyed it, I know there were some inconsistencies, a few plot holes, and the big one: the heroine not recognising the voice of the killer, even though she knew him.

Putting those few things aside - and funnily enough I can - this book was addictive reading. The first book I read by Alden, Guilty as Sin, was exactly the same, although I will say that I didn't notice any glaring plot holes and inconsistencies with that one. Beg for Mercy is an exciting read with steamy, sexy romance.

Megan Flynn has spent the last three years trying to prove her brother, Sean, is innocent of the crime that has him on death row. The night she thought her relationship with her cop lover, Cole, was just about to get serious, Cole is called to a crime scene where Sean is arrested and charged with murder. Megan's life is turned upside down, as the guy she cares deeply for believes her brother is the killer without doubt.

Three years on, Megan is still trying to find the one piece of evidence that will prove Sean's innocence once and for all, and with only six days to find it, Megan goes into overdrive, putting her life, and others, at serious risk, especially when she becomes the prime focus of the killer.

I found the relationship dynamics between Megan and Cole to be great. Their sexual chemistry is off the charts, and the fact that they are trying to resist it just makes it that much more satisfying when they eventually give in. I liked both characters too. Megan is fiery and brave (albeit that sometimes turned into stupid) and Cole is strong, sexy, but at first a little too rigid with the rules. But as the story progresses we see both of them relinquish some of their rules. Cole becomes a little more flexible and Megan begins to rely on Cole for a certain amount of help. The sex scenes were ultra sexy, and I loved Megan and Cole together.

As well as Megan and Cole, we also get a few chapters from the view point of Sean, and we get to see where his head is as he sits and waits to die. I really felt for him and I was pleased to know that the next book in the series is his. It will be interesting to see where his story will take him.

As I've already mentioned, some of the plot was a little silly, but despite this the tension and suspense was pretty high. I knew, as I do 99% of the time, who the killer was, but it was fun to watch the author try and lure me off the scent by throwing out a few red herrings, but I've been around the block a few times to know a red herring when I see one :) However, overall I really enjoyed Beg for Mercy and give it 3.5 Stars.

Hide From Evil: Dead Wrong Book 2 (Dead Wrong: Eternal Romance)
Hide From Evil: Dead Wrong Book 2 (Dead Wrong: Eternal Romance)
Price: 6.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Romantic Suspense, 29 Oct 2013
Hide from Evil basically begins where Beg for Mercy ends. The story arc of Nate, the Seattle Slasher, is still ongoing, even though it's not about Nate himself. We learn that the corruption sinks a lot deeper than anyone imagined. This time, however, we follow Sean, the sexy guy cleared of all murders, and Krista, the Deputy PA that had originally put him on death row.

I was really looking forward to this instalment. I liked Sean a lot from what I read of him in book one, and I couldn't wait to get started. The fact that his love interest was Krista made the connection between the two even more interesting. How can Sean feel anything, let alone fall in love, with the woman who not only worked tirelessly to put him behind bars and on death row, but also believed, without a doubt, that he was the Seattle Slasher.

The action and suspense is here in spades as it was with the first instalment, however I felt this time it did get a bit bogged down with too much detail. Sometimes my mind wandered when the characters were sifting though endless files online and talking things out to try and get their heads around what was going on. I definitely appreciate that the author was trying to give a balance of intrigue and romance, but sometimes the detail went on for too many pages. The ending was great though, and I loved the tension that the climactic scene created.

The romance was brilliant. I loved Sean and Krista, even more than Megan and Cole, which is saying something. The dynamics between Sean and Krista were just so good from the start. Sean detested Krista for what she did to him, and watching his feelings evolve and the passion grow was just so delicious. Krista's guilt was eating her up inside for getting it wrong, and trying to come to terms with it has been difficult for her. Plus, once she starts to get to know Sean while on their journey together to find out the truth, she realises that this man could never hurt a woman let alone brutalise, rape and murder them. Her guilt is palpable and I loved that about her. Both her and Sean were very realistic characters which made their romance even more enjoyable.

The time they had together was pretty brief in between so much going on plot wise, but when they were together it was steamy, sexy, basically everything you want from a romantic suspense. We also meet a few of the other characters we first came into contact with in Beg for Mercy. Namely Jack and Talia, who are also the hero/heroine for book three.

Because the romance knocked my socks off, I give this instalment 4 Stars. If the detailed suspense aspect was toned down a little I have no doubt my rating would have been higher.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8