Profile for Vicky1982 > Reviews

Content by Vicky1982

Vicky1982 (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
BoxWave Classic Book Samsung Galaxy S4 Case - Vintage Book Cover Case, Genuine Leather Wallet Case Design with Card Slots and Premium Interior Design for Samsung Galaxy S4 SIV
Offered by BoxWave Corporation

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful design, fatal flaw..., 4 Jun 2013
The actual transaction was flawless and the delivery was very fast, but the product isn't worth the money. Here's why:

The case is made out of PVC, not real leather so for about a week it smells vile and given the price of the item this was disappointing. But the major flaw is the tray the phone sits in, if it cracks or receives any kind of impact it disintegrates. I didn't drop my phone or do anything unusual, but I noticed a small crack in the top right hand corner. I was annoyed but, but thought as long as I was careful it wouldn't get any worse... WRONG!!!! The entire corner has disintegrated e.g. Little pieces of it keep coming away from the tray and it is now spreading. If I was to drop my phone then I get the feeling that the entire thing would break and as it is I am already after just 3 weeks looking for a new case.... Not impressed!

I have found a cheaper version of this case by a company called 'book book' and would recommend you think about purchasing that rather than this

Samsung Galaxy S4 16GB SIM-Free Smartphone - White
Samsung Galaxy S4 16GB SIM-Free Smartphone - White
Offered by Kudos Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Iphone- Hello S4 :), 10 May 2013
I have had my Samsung Galaxy S4 for over a week now and it is everything I have ever dreamed of in a phone. I have had iphones for the past 4 years, so going to an android device was a massive leap of faith for me!

So much has been said about the 'plastic' casing on the S4, but honestly when you hold it, it feels reassuringly solid- not overly heavy or light, just right really- and in reality most people will have the phone in a case so for me its not an issue.

I was worried I would find the size of the S4 hard to handle (having previously used an iphone 4s), but again after a few hours it felt fine and the larger display is so much easier to read on. Also, the resolution of the screen is just amazing- I own an ipad and frankly after using the S4 the ipad's display looks washed out and almost retro!

One of my favourite things about android is just how much you can personalise the phone. I love being able to choose the widgets I want and where and how I use them. I was surprised at just how advanced this is compared to the iphone- its a measure in my opinion of how complacement Apple have become with the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' attitude- which has led them to stop innovating.

For those of you who are keen photographers- WOW! You are going to love the camera on this baby, the level of detail you get when zooming in is absolutely incredible- its like Super HD for your camera, every minor detail is there for you to see. Compared to the iphone, the difference is staggering.

One of my main gripes with the iphone was how hard it was to turn on/off Wi-fi and bluetooth- I hated having to navigate through the settings app etc. I am absolutely loving the ease with which you can turn on/off a range of settings by simply using the pull down menu on the S4, it is making the battery last for upto 2 days which I never thought would be possible e.g. You can turn off Mobile Data, GPS, WI-FI and Bluetooth in seconds! Also charging seems to be much faster, no more leaving the phone plugged in all night for me!

The only thing I am still struggling with is the on/off button on the side of the phone- I much preferred having this on the top (like the iphone) as I find I am constantly pressing the volume buttons. A small gripe I know!

I would recommend anyone who buys this phone invests in the Swiftkey keyboard- it is awesome and makes texting, composing emails so much easier and quicker.

I love my music and for this reason, I was tempted by the HTC One... Most reviews of the S4 say the sound quality is inferior and tinny sounding in comparison- I beg to differ! I listened to my music with headphones for the first time last night and
I could hear every single detail- detail I had never heard before!!! The main difference between the S4 and other phones is that you can't customise the sound e.g. there is no setting to change the level of the bass or treble. so if you are an audiophile, you might want to check this out before you buy. But in my opinion the sound is great and the volume goes VERY loud. Another great thing about the S4 is that you can use ANY music you upload as a ringtone- you don't need to download an app to do this. Coming from an iphone, this is amazing to me as it used to be quite a fiddly process to create and use customised ringtomes. The sound is far superior to that of the iphone.

The Kies software Samsung suggests you use to sync/back up/restore the phone is a bit disappointing. I loved the simplicity of itunes and am a mac owner. On two of the three ocassions I have synced my phone, I have had connection problems and had to re-install the software. I also liked how easy it was to buy apps via itunes etc

The Driver mode on the S4 is for me, amazing and sets a new industry standard. How many times have you missed a call or received an important text whilst driving? Well I now don't have this problem. I simply connect to my phone via a bluetooth headset and if I want to call or text someone I simply talk to the phone and it happens!!! Incredible :)

The other new features on the S4: Air gesture, Air View, Smart Scroll and Smart Stay are all useable and good but for me battery life is important so I have them turned off. Also I don't really surf the net on my phone that much so they aren't as important for me as for someone that does- but they are solid features and do enhance the phones performance, depending on what you are doing.

I absolutely love my S4 and don't miss the iphone at all. I would recommend this phone to anyone, no matter what they are used to using- I thought going from IOS to android would be a nightmare- How wrong was I? Make the switch today
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2013 10:05 AM BST

Dark Slivers: Seeing Nirvana in the Shards of Incesticide
Dark Slivers: Seeing Nirvana in the Shards of Incesticide
by Nick Soulsby

5.0 out of 5 stars Imagine a Nirvana Jigsaw- this is the final piece of the puzzle, 8 Feb 2013
I am lucky enough to own the paperback version of this book and what a read it is!
This is the first book to focus mainly on the music Nirvana/Kurt created. Incesticide is at the core of the book and the analysis is fascinating e.g. everything from the art work, song list and lyrics is looked into.
There is also a breakdown of all Nirvana songs including, when they were written and how often they were played live or featured in recording sessions. Soulsby also reveals key trends in the lyrics of Nirvana songs.

Some of the statistics related to Nirvana are fascinating and I'm pretty sure that even the most avid fan will learn something new from this in-depth and unique look at Nirvana.

For me this book is so refreshing, as it isn't obsessed with conspiracy theories, crucifying Courtney Love, painting Kurt as a victim or Nevermind!!!

This Charming Life
This Charming Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Rock Heaven, 1 Jun 2010
This review is from: This Charming Life (Audio CD)
I bought this record after seeing Joan Armatrading live and it is superb. The riff on 'Heading back to New York City' is pure guitar heaven and the whole album is laden with some seriously good playing.
It is quite an upbeat record and I defy anyone not to find themselves singing, clapping and rocking out to 'Best Dress On'!
Come on buy this record and experience Joan Armatrading at her very best, you won't be disappointed ;0)

The Twilight Saga: New Moon [DVD]
The Twilight Saga: New Moon [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kristen Stewart
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Wickedly brilliant, 27 Mar 2010
Having read the Twilight saga, I found the first film really disappointing and avoided New Moon like the plague. BUT, yesterday I decided to take the plunge and I am so pleased I did!
New Moon is much truer to the book and the acting is so much better than in Twilight. It's quite simply brilliant and I cannot wait for Eclipse to come out :0)

Live At Reading (Deluxe Edition CD+DVD)
Live At Reading (Deluxe Edition CD+DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless Classic, 19 Mar 2010
I had a bootleg of the Reading performance, but it is rubbish compared to this DVD!!! I cannot believe how clear the picture and sound are- its simply awesome... For me the most amazing thing is how timeless Nirvana are... if you didn't know Kurt Cobain was dead, you'd assume this performance was recorded recently. Some of the other reviewers have criticised Cobain's guitar playing, but for me live music is about passion, energy and atmosphere NOT perfection. Buy this DVD and relive one of the greatest bands ever doing what they do best.

The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon)
The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars A Rough Diamond?, 20 Nov 2009
The reviews for this book are very mixed and now I understand why! Parts of the story were brilliant and the ending was superb. BUT there was a lot of 'padding' e.g. the inclusion of the science lab and the constant need to repeat certain parts of the story and/or the characters. At times I skimmed whole chapters as they were basically repeating the same stuff... However, I loved the way Brown described Washington so vividly and the storyline was very good (especially the twist at the end!). I was also left confused about the relationship between the professor and the scientist, did they fancy each other or not?!

The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope, Book 4)
The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope, Book 4)
by Scott Mariani

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome and then some!, 20 Nov 2009
Mr Mariani has done it again, yet another book that you can't put down! The story moves fast and is superb, with plenty of twists. I honestly don't think you will regret buying this book, so do it...NOW!

Mindless Eating
Mindless Eating
by Brian Wansink

3.0 out of 5 stars American-English, 12 Sep 2009
This review is from: Mindless Eating (Paperback)
I found this book interesting to a point, BUT it is VERY American and as such not as user friendly as it could be. However I did find some of the info helpful and will probably dip into it again. If you have never been to America or know very little about there culture, this book is probably not for you as you will have no idea what "Taco Bell" is etc

Married Lovers
Married Lovers
by Jackie Collins

3.0 out of 5 stars Ends before it begins!, 5 Jan 2009
This review is from: Married Lovers (Hardcover)
I have been an avid reader of Collins for ten years and am usually full of praise for her work, but this book fell far below her usual standard and I was left very disappointed by it. It is very repetitive and far too predicatble. Also the ending is very abrupt and I was left very un-satisifed by it... Not vintage Collins I'm afraid

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4