Profile for Paul Gallimore > Reviews

Content by Paul Gallimore

Paul Gallimore (Luton, UK)

Off the Edge of the Map: Marco Polo, Captain Cook, and 9 Other Travelers and Explorers That Pushed the Boundaries of the Known World
Price: 4.11

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is How To Make History Interesting To All, 28 April 2014
For this book Mr Rank has selected ten of the world’s greatest explorers to examine their lives and exploits and explains their contributions to the expansion of human knowledge in their lifetimes and beyond.

Each frontiersman gets a chapter to himself and their tales are told with pace and verve, such that they hold the reader’s attention in the way that the very best fiction does. This is probably not surprising, given the extreme circumstances that many of these men found themselves in.

This is not to say that the book is in any way light or lacking in serious content, it is clear that Michael Rank is a serious historian and plenty of appropriate research references are duly supplied in the bibliography. Thus, each chapter contextualises the traveler’s adventure and places it in its historical setting perfectly well.

From the mediaval Chinese monk, Rabban Bar Sauma to Sir Ernest Shackleton (surely, the patron saint of lost causes) and on to Neil Armstrong, this book is an excellent read and I highly recommend it for its erudition, as well as its unadulterated entertainment value.

Home baked bread: Recipes beyond the basic Loaf: Everything You need to Know to Bake 43 Amazing Breads (Home Baked Bread! Book 2)
Price: 2.05

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is What Kindle Is All About, 19 Mar 2014
There are so many people who are passionate about so many things and Jason Daly's passion is evidently baking. If fresh bread is something that you enjoy - and who doesn't? - then Jason's Kindle book would be a nice place to start if you want to have a go at baking your own.

There are a multitude of breads here, plus recipes for doughnuts, crumpets, Chelsea buns, hot crossed buns, pikelets (never heard of them before, but they look good) and others besides. The recipes are simply laid out and the pictures of the finished products are of a good, well lit quality.

The book assumes a little basic knowledge of baking, such as knowing what kneading and proving is. If you are not sure what they are, well I guess that's why they invented Youtube.

(100 Strips) Breathe Right Advanced Nasal Strips
(100 Strips) Breathe Right Advanced Nasal Strips
Offered by EURO DEALS
Price: 41.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Inferior, 2 Oct 2013
I bought this product because I liked the idea of the butterfly, double strip design; it seemed like it might be a superior product to the tan coloured single strips from Breathe Right. In doing so I decided to discount the comments from other reviewers of the product (elsewhere) who said that these 'Advanced' strips do not stick very well. I discussed these reviews with my wife and we decided that it was likely/possible that these reviewers were probably not applying them properly or else they were just whiners.

Well, guess what? They were absolutely right! I put my money where my nose was and I lost out. This version of the Breathe Right nasal strips are decidedly inferior. They come off a little way from the end of the hard plastic strips as soon as you apply them and by the time that morning comes around they are generally only attached at the bridge of the nose. In addition, they seem much stickier than the original design. Not in the sense that they stick to your nose well, but in the sense that they leave a sticky glue on your nose which pretty much has to be washed off with soap, as opposed to just peeled off.

One gets the impression that Breathe Right came up with a great idea for an improvement, but when it clearly failed to work very well they decided that they had invested too much to can it.

I am not saying these strips are useless (hence the 3 stars), they seem to stick well enough until I am asleep, but I do not believe that they open up my nostrils any better than the originals. In fact I believe they are slightly less effective. And after that it's all downhill.

Verdict: This product needs to go back to the drawing board. Until it does, don't buy it, buy the original Breathe Right strips. I hope that I have made that clear. Don't be the kind of dimwit who ignores valuable reviews.

Ideal For Very Dry Skin, Eczema And Dermatitis (one of its ingredients is Rose Hip Oil), Treatment Also Helps Improve Psoriasis On The Face & Rosacea - Visible Results Applying Just Twice A Day, Stops Itching And Improves Appearance of Skin By Blocking Early Degeneration Of Skin Cells And Preventing The Formation of Flaky and Scaly Patches 100% Natural & Organic Snail Serum Made & Tested In USA Bring Back Natural Balance & Beauty To Your Skin
Offered by Gaffney Imports Exports
Price: 98.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Appears To Live Up To The Internet Hype, 20 Jun 2013
I wanted to try this cream because I have heard about snail serum and because I have a couple of small patches of recurring eczema on my feet and one elbow, which tend to itch. Additionally, I have a couple of patches of dry, flaky skin which I have never satisfactorily helped with creams. I rarely do Amazon reviews of any kind (just a couple of books so far) so, I may as well attempt to do this one properly:

Packaging
The company that sells this is called Gaffney Imports Exports and the labelling on the jar says Made in the USA; so it's an import. What isn't? The first thing that I noticed is that the box is a little unprepossessing, shall we say. The plain white box is not what you would expect from a high-end product. That said, who cares? The actual jar with the cream in looks smart enough and will not look out of place on your dressing table - if you have such a thing.

Smell
Not really sure what I was expecting from snail serum, a faint whiff of garlic perhaps? In any event I would say that the cream is almost odorless, but if you hold the jar close to your nose the nearest smell that I could approximate to is newly applied emulsion paint. However, on application this rapidly fades to zero perceptible smell.

Efficacy
On the day that I received the cream the eczema patch on my right elbow had flared up and was ripe for scratching. I found that the cream soothed that almost immediately. Over the following days the eczema patches became less pronounced and the itching has stopped, at least while the cream is applied. According to what I have learned on the internet, complete regeneration of the affected areas of skin may take a few weeks, which I will be happy to wait for if it goes completely. In the meantime the red patches are less prominent than they were.

With regard to dry and flaky skin generally, there does appear to be improvement there as well. When applied the skin looks smoother immediately, as with any moisturising cream. However, about 10 days into using the cream the skin patches are appearing smoother between applications.

I recommend this cream as being at least worth experimenting with.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2013 9:36 PM BST

Tumult in the Clouds (Penguin World War II Collection)
Tumult in the Clouds (Penguin World War II Collection)
by James Goodson
Price: 8.64

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little book by an authentic WWII hero, 31 Oct 2010
This is the first war memoir that I have opened since Douglas Bader's Reach For The Sky, which for some reason I read as a child. Tumult In The Clouds is a record of the same period in history as seen from an American perspective, through the canopy of the P-47 and the Mustang, rather than the Hurricane and Spitfire.

My early impression of the book was that it must have been edited by a gorilla with a meat cleaver, as opposed to more traditional methods, such were the rapid jumps in location in the first couple of chapters. At one point I was flicking back the pages to check that I had not missed a few. However, things began to settle down by the third chapter and I began to see James Goodson as a talented story-teller with a one-in-a-billion tale to tell. After all, how many people ever got to do what these young men did and in such extreme circumstances?

I also began to realise that no matter how one might have fantasised about flying Spits or P51D's as a boy, this was really the preserve of individuals who are brave almost to the point of madness. Goodson's recollection of diving down after an Me.109 from 20,000 feet in a P-47 at almost 500 mph, through a squadron of Spitfires who were minding their own business at 10,000 feet, in the knowledge that the Thunderbolt was not at all renowned for pulling out of such dives was one of many that bought the air war into a proper perspective. These people diced with death practically every time they went up and, in case they needed it, the empty bunks back at their Debden base were a constant reminder of that fact.

The full range of WWII fighter pilot adventure is in this book, including Goodson's strafing of the Luftwaffe's famous Abbeville Boys, his inevitable shooting-down and subsequent capture, and how he deftly persuaded a Gestapo officer not to have him executed for his efforts. It's all captured in this succinct little book.

I consider Tumult In The Clouds a great read for anybody interested in the airmen and the aircraft of WWII and it made me appreciate the magnificent contribution of the American airmen all the more - a number of whom came to Britain to fight before the rest of their country made the same commitment.

James Goodson, Don Blakeslee, Don Gentile, Kid Hofer, et al were all exceptional people who for a brief period in the last century led very exceptional lives. In my opinion they are are worth reading about.

Adobe Photoshop CS: The Art of Photographing Women (Computing)
Adobe Photoshop CS: The Art of Photographing Women (Computing)
by Scott Kelby

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost excellent, 18 Aug 2007
As other reviewers have stated, this book contains a wealth of information and you get a strong impression that you are being coached by a top pro. The tips and techniques that Kevin shows are probably not easy to find anywhere else, certainly not in other turorials that I have come across. In addition the book is laid out very nicely with lots of notated pictures and coloured type.

However, I have one major criticism and it is this. The author tends to lead off into long descriptions of technique (albeit in small manageable chunks) without describing what you are achieving at each step. The result is that you are often blindly following his commands, until you eventually see the point as the desired effect is eventually achieved. This is fine if you do not miss any of the instructions (don't forget to turn a layer on, or select a path), but bad news if you do make a mistake, since you end up starting all over again and becoming frustrated.

And, even if you do get everything right first time, there will be plenty of occasions when you are not really sure what you just did. This puts you in a situation where you end up having to review each section several times to work out how things were achieved - very time consuming.

The result of this blindly-follow-me approach was that I often found myself getting annoyed and dropping the book for short periods.

If the book was made into a DVD it would be fantastic and much faster to learn from. As it is I definitely recommend it to serious students as possibly the best book out there, but don't expect to cruise through it in a few days.