Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Learn more
Profile for titta > Reviews

Content by titta

titta (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Tala 7 piece Kitchen Measuring Set
Tala 7 piece Kitchen Measuring Set
Offered by Cake and Cookie Central

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 17 Jan. 2015
Great piece of inexpensive kit for those American recipes

O'Neill Toddler/Junior Tania Girls Sandal
O'Neill Toddler/Junior Tania Girls Sandal

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better..., 17 Jun. 2011
These flipflops were ok, but the O'Neill mark has actually peeled off after just a week of wearing, so now they are simply white plastic flipflops. Also keep in mind that in very hot environments these could make your feet sweaty and become unconfortable between your toes of on the top of your foot (where the plastic rubs). On the plus side, being plastic, you can wash them really easily and you can walk on the seashore without worrying whether the'll survive the water...

No and Me
No and Me
by Delphine de Vigan

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting subject, 17 Jun. 2011
This review is from: No and Me (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book mainly because of the touchy subject of homeless young people, what brings them to the street and how difficult it is to get out of it. The main character Lou is extremely lovable and has a powerful voice, believable and full of insight.
The story itself is great, though I don't think the book deserve full marks because the middle part of the book is somehow dragging with very little action compared to the first part (around 150 pages) and the end - but that might has well been done on purpose by the author, just it didn't work completely for me. Still a very good book that I would recommend to others, maybe just not on top of the list.

Satina Chrome Hanging Shower Cubicle Tidy Swedish Made 79cm
Satina Chrome Hanging Shower Cubicle Tidy Swedish Made 79cm
Offered by Norwood Trading Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, 15 Jun. 2011
I have searched long and large for a good, sturdy shower tidy structure. I saw several with small or shallow baskets - really not fit to contain the larger bottle of shampoos I'm addicted too, so I was very pleased when I saw this product and gave it a try because the price was also very good. Yes, you can find something like this a lot cheaper (ikea, argos...) but they are not as sturdy as this one and the materials are of lesser quality.
The structure hangs over the shower door so there is no need for drilling the tiles (messy) or suction caps (unrealiable) and it feels very stable. When placing bottles in the baskets they feel stable too. All in all I am very pleased with the purchase

Philips HD4644/00 Energy Efficient Kettle, 3000 Watt, 1.7 Litre - White
Philips HD4644/00 Energy Efficient Kettle, 3000 Watt, 1.7 Litre - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with my purchase, 7 Jun. 2011
I really like this kettle - it's sturdy, easy to hold and the white plastic means limescale marks are not visible (I've wiped stainless steel kettles for too long, thank you). The number of cups is accurate and helps me boil the exact amount of water - also the indicator appears on both sides, which is great if you are a leftie or (like me) simply like to fill the kettle holding it with your left hand because the tap is on your right. I am very pleased with my purchase, I'm only sorry I didn't check Amazon first cause I paid £8 more at Argos! A 4-slice toaster to go with it would be lovely (Philips only makes the 2-slice one to match)

The Five People You Meet In Heaven
The Five People You Meet In Heaven
by Mitch Albom

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 30 May 2011
What a wonderful, fantastic book, really moving and deep, touching and dreamy, and exquisitely told. It's never easy to read (and to write I suppose!) a book about death, yet this is so uplifting that the focus is shifted on the bigger meaning of life. Definitely a book I will read again, really superb!

Twelve Days of Christmas
Twelve Days of Christmas
by Trisha Ashley

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story but..., 21 Dec. 2010
I very much enjoyed the first part of the book, I thought the main character Holly was well analysed and I grew to like her right from the start. I managed to overlook the unimaginative plot simply because I was enjoying the Christmas theme of the book, and the nice atmosphere that the author has undoubtedly created... but what I could really not get over was the writing style, which for me has spoilt some of the magic - I suppose the author wanted to keep the style very simple to make the book sounds cosy and familiar, but to my ears it only sounded like she has made no particular effort to find the right words for her work. Shame, it could have been much better - I don't feel like recommending this book to others I'm afraid.

Things I Want My Daughters to Know
Things I Want My Daughters to Know
by Elizabeth Noble

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT, 13 April 2009
I know it's only April, but this is going to be the best book I will read in 2009.

Bubbly, funny Barbara dies of cancer at the age of 60, leaving her four daugthers aged 38 to 15 and her second husband. She is clearly the main character here, and despite she hasn't spoken a single word in the whole book, I felt the author did an outstanding job in portraying her very much alive, through her journal entries, the letters she left, and her family's memories. This is obviously not the jolliest of subjects to base a book on, and still Noble has never slipped in pathetic, teary dialogues or situations - I'm very sensitive to the subject of death (especially when linked to mothers) and I thought I would have found this book difficult to read. I didn't, and all because of how Barbara herself deals with the imminent end.

The writing style is just perfect: every word, every dialogue, every thought is indispensable. Every action, every reaction and each character is completely believable. We find four very different women at different stages of their lives, and all of them are superbly depicted.
But what I think I enjoyed the most was the amount of little twists and turns scattered here and there in the book: most novels have a lot happening either at the beginning of the book, or at the end - not this one. There are many secrets popping up when you least expect them, and still you don't feel like there is TOO much happening. As I said, everything is indispensable.

If Noble's other books are as good as this one, I think I found my next favourite author.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
by John Boyne

4.0 out of 5 stars A new classic, 7 April 2009
As mentioned in previous reviews, despite the simple language of the 9-year-old main character Bruno, this is not a book for children. However, I can easily see it becoming a new classic read for young adults (13-14), another great story to introduce the new generations to the appalling mistakes of the past.

Remember Me?
Remember Me?
by Sophie Kinsella

4.0 out of 5 stars Good as usual, but a little criticisim is now due..., 27 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Remember Me? (Paperback)
Because I've never been a huge fan of the Shopahaolic series, I have always appreciated Kinsella's "other" novels - the main character is usually down to earth, simple yet with her own little quirks: a real nowadays heroin! This books doesn't fall short: Lexi wakes up in hospital one day only to find out that it is three years later than she thought and she's got amnesia. Everything else that was wrong with her life, though, seems to be gone: she is a successful business woman, she's gorgeous, and she's married to a hot millionaire who loves her! Despite being scared, she wants to enjoy this perfect life, but she soon finds out that it is far from being perfect. Her baby sister is now a moody teenager, her job is more fierce and competitive than she thought possible, her husband is a control freak, and apparently she has a secret lover!!

Packed with enjoyable characters and fun situations, the book is a real gem. The only problem is... don't Kinsella's character all look pretty much the same? She has now become comfortable with that type of woman - young, funny, in a reletionship that is due to end, given that she has already met the love of her life, and on her way to do really well at work (because deep down she's got the right idea for the right situation).
In spite of every effort to recreate real-life models, Kinsella fails to remember that NOT always everything is saved at the last minute. And this doesn't necessarily mean tragedy, but just that the character will be stronger and smarter for the next challange.
I would like to see something different next time... maybe Kinsella is just not brave enough to reinvent her heroins.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2016 11:46 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2