Profile for J. Highton > Reviews

Chord Electronics Hugo Portable DAC and Amplifier
Offered by Nintronics
Price: £1,200.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Strikes the right chord for me, 12 May 2014
Read nothing but glowing reviews of this product so decided to purchase one to
use with my various DAPs.
It really is a groundbreaking product and really has to be heard to be appreciated.
It is a portable DAC and headphone amplifier.
The Astell & Kern AK240 is a wonderfully sounding DAP but using the optical out and listening
through the Hugo beats the AK240 own DAC and amplifier.
Until now my favoured listening was AK240 and Fanmusic tube BL 2 amplifier.
The combination of AK240 and Hugo beats it by a fair margin.
It does however make the AK240 a very expensive transport.
Theoretically all DAP should sound the same utilising their digital output, but in truth I do not find this so.
I tried my Fii0 X5 via digital output and it does not sound as good. That may be the fact the AK240 uses optical
for its digital output.
The ports on the Hugo are somewhat recessed so finding an optical cable that fits is not easy though you do get a number of cables with the Hugo. I ordered a cable from Sys Concepts in Canada made especially for this combination and it works a charm.
The controls are very intuitive and I love the way the different bit rates are reflected in different colours.
I have used it with my Shure 846, my Grado PS1000 and my Sennheiser HD800 and it works superbly with all of them.
It certainly has the power to drive quite demanding headphones.
Highly recommended, apart from the silly name.
It goes where Hugo.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2014 2:34 PM BST

Mommy Octopus Dog Toy - Soft and Huggable - 38cm (Pink)
Mommy Octopus Dog Toy - Soft and Huggable - 38cm (Pink)
Offered by Pet Fayre

4.0 out of 5 stars Octopus v Dog, 26 Feb 2014
Xmas present for my dog Iggy.
Amazingly the Octopus is still in one piece as I write this in February.
He loves it, the surfeit of legs allow him to throw it around and catch it with gay abandon.
Believe me Iggy does not want soft and huggable he wants tough and squeaky and this
rocks his little mad doggy world.

Astell&Kern Portable High Fidelity Sound System - AK240 in Brushed Duralium Gun Metal Grey & Carbon Fibre Black
Price: £2,199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat Your Heart Out Neil Young, 26 Feb 2014
In numerous reviews Neil Young would talk about his high resolution music player , now called Pono I believe.
In typical Neil fashion no dates ever seem to be mentioned and we still await the machine.
In the meantime Astell & Kern have brought out three models in this genre. The AK100, the AK120 and now the AK240.
Each one pretty much doubling in price. I am dreading the AK480 cost.

By the law of diminishing returns surely the AK240 cannot be twice as good as the AK120, which was pretty damn good.
Well the answer is, in a totally subjective way, yes it is.
Though I loved the AK120 I felt it needed an external amp to sound at its best, the AK240 has no need of such accoutrements.
Obviously you would never use this as an MP3 player, it needs FLAC as a minimum .
HD tracks sound sublime, especially DSD files.
You need good, make that great earphones such as the Shure 846 or the Final Audio Design FI BA SS.

Software takes a little getting used to after the previous models, it is based on the Android operating system whist the AK120 used a form of Linux I believe.

The increased internal storage capacity is a boon as it speeds up loading tracks and makes you less dependent on micro SD cards though it does take one card, current max 64gb.
To connect to your MAC it used the Android Transfer system rather than simply showing as an external drive.

It has wifi to upgrade over your network and it can be used as a music server.

None of this would count for s*** if it did not sound wonderful. Well it does, it has a, again subjective, more analogue sound than the AK120. It just sounds more real with a bigger soundstage and a depth to the music that really does make the music come alive.
I played the latest Leonard Cohen album and I swear to God that with my eyes closed I thought the old fella was in the room singing just for me and the dog.

Look the truth is it is stupidly expensive but I can think of nothing better I would spend a spare two grand on. Flog your AK120 on ebay and buy one.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2014 4:53 PM GMT

Lou Reed: The Life
Lou Reed: The Life

2.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere At All, 23 Dec 2013
There is nothing really awful about this book and Mick Wall has an appreciation of most of Lou Reeds albums.
The problem is it really is a rush job and there is nothing new for anyone who has followed Lou Reeds career in any detail.
My advice would be to wait for the reissue and hopefully updated biography "Transformer" by Victor Bockris.

FiiO X3 Portable MP3 Player
FiiO X3 Portable MP3 Player
Offered by EA Audio

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound Value, 9 Aug 2013
As the owner of the Astell & Kern AK120 I wondered how the Fiio X3 would sound in comparison.
In terms of cost, 160 pounds plays 1,100 pounds.
I guess it is a case of the law of diminishing returns in reverse because in terms of value the X3 wins easily.
Though I will not be selling my AK120 anytime soon.

I love the AK120 but being a fan of Fiio products I bought the X3 for those times when I did not want to carry
my AK 120 + Just Audio AHA 120 + Sennheiser HD800 around with me. I just grab the X3, put the lead on the dog and am out the door.

So I mainly use the X3, no external amp, driving my Westone 4R or Sennheiser IE800. As an aside the IE800 sound great but the microphonics when you are
walking around are truly appalling.
The X3 is good, almost frighteningly good in terms of cost. Sound quality is in my opinion the equal of the
Astell & Kern AK100 which is priced at 600 pounds.

It is seriously good and based on regular updated firmware highly recommended.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2014 11:04 AM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Good, 22 Feb 2013
My dog tends to get apprehensive in the car. He whines a lot and drools which I guess is caused by anxiety.
I sprayed this on his cushion 15 minutes prior to our journey as per instructions as it has an alcohol base.

My dog was still apprehensive about getting in the back of the car. However once in and settled on his cushion he did not whine once.
I was genuinely knocked out by the improvement.
This product is not for behavioural problems it is for mild anxiety and for that it works fantastically well.
My dog is 8 months old so it is not just for puppies.
I was genuinely pleasantly surprised at how well this worked.
Recommended.

Astell and Kern AK100 Personal MQS & Ultimate Portable Hi-fi Music Player -32GB of Internal Memory

5.0 out of 5 stars Ipod alternative for the discerning ear, 16 Jan 2013
My usual listening rig is iPod classic, Cypher Labs DAC and ALO amp but it can be a little cumbersome to tote around. Plus it looks like an explosive device to nervy security bods.
This is an alternative to carrying three components around plus it also plays higher resolution files.
The interface is pretty good with a touch screen and is rather more sophisticated than the Colorfly 4 for example.
Again unlike the Colorfly the software works seamlessly.
Capacity is not bad with inbuilt 32gb plus space for two, yes two, micro sd cards giving you at least another 64g and possibly another 128g if you get 64g cards.
(Make sure you format them correctly.)

Sound quality is very good. There has been some criticism on headphone forums about the high impedance of the unit and the effect it may have on IEMs.
Well with my Westone 4R it sounds just fine.

The fact it plays flac files is important to me. I have tried higher resolution files at 24 bit 96 kHz but cannot really tell the difference between 16 bit 44khz and the higher resolution files.

Machine is very well made and incredibly small compared to the Colorfly.

All in all recommended.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2013 9:09 AM BST

Colorfly C4 Pro Pocket HiFi 32GB Music Player
Colorfly C4 Pro Pocket HiFi 32GB Music Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Clunky But I Love It, 19 Dec 2012
First off I have to say for those used to the seamless way of iTunes and iPods this will come as something of a shock.
You basically plug via USB the machine in to you MAC or PC and treat as an external drive.
If you have an SD card plugged in to the Colorfly then that will show as a separate disc.

You then copy folders for each album containing your WAV or FLAC files to the Colorfly or SD card. No USB3 or Thunderbolt support so it is slow to copy across. Say 4 to 5 minutes for each album.

However when you plug your Grado PS1000 or Senn 800 and listen to your music you will find yourself, as I did, with a goofy grin on your face and muttering the words "awesome".

Explaining your delight to your friends and family will be wasted as they will not understand.
Those that know, know.
If you like lossless files and believe iPods need external amps and dacs and Westone 4c then you will want one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2014 5:52 PM GMT

And Party Every Day: The Inside Story of Casablanca Records
And Party Every Day: The Inside Story of Casablanca Records

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Wake Up, 16 Dec 2012
C'mon Amazon.
I have been wanting to read this book for a good few years now.
Keep checking to see if available for the KIndle and then voila, there it is.

But no it is not!
Shows as being available but it clearly cannot be downloaded.
C'mon Amazon, why tease me so.

Revoltech Danboard Mini Yotsuba&! Action Figure Amazon.co.jp Box Version
Revoltech Danboard Mini Yotsuba&! Action Figure Amazon.co.jp Box Version

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to Have My Own Danbo, 28 Aug 2012
Read about this little fella and just had to have one.
There is a whole back story about him/her if you are interested enough to research the character.

What I like is the way the "photos of Danbo doing different things in different places" has taken off.
My wife, of course, thinks I am mad.
Love it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2012 11:27 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4