Profile for NMH Convert > Reviews

Content by NMH Convert

NMH Convert (Dudley, West Midlands)

My Granny Writes Erotica (The Original Quickie)
My Granny Writes Erotica (The Original Quickie)
Price: 1.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny!, 21 Sep 2013
I've read most of Rosen's work now and am delighted to say that she has hit a new high with this hilarious novella. Very clever - and, more to the point, funny - jokes, coupled with a very strong eye for narrative.

Highly recommended to anyone looking for a good laugh!

Seagate 500GB Expansion Portable USB 2.0 Hard Drive
Seagate 500GB Expansion Portable USB 2.0 Hard Drive
Offered by AOT (VAT registered)
Price: 49.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, 31 Oct 2012
This hard drive lasted fairly well for just over one year. However, it completely crashed and is now unusable. Luckily, I had backed up a fairly recent copy of my data on a separate drive, but I will not be buying Seagate again. The products are not built to last.

Pompomberry House
Pompomberry House
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Trevithick stuff!, 16 Aug 2012
This review is from: Pompomberry House (Kindle Edition)
Just finished reading this greatly-anticipated novel from the tour de force of talent that is Ms Rosen Trevithick. I was hoping that 'Pompomberry House' would top the impressive achievement of 'Seesaw', and I wasn't disappointed. This is Trevithick's best work to date. The plot is deftly shaped, with red herrings, intrigue, humour, melodrama, horror, and romance - not to mention humour - bursting from the screen. I had various theories throughout the novel, but was still surprised at the end. Thank you Rosen, a ripping read.

Seesaw - Volume I
Seesaw - Volume I
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cornish Delight!, 6 Jun 2012
This review is from: Seesaw - Volume I (Kindle Edition)
Having read some of the stories before they were gathered together for this anthology, I knew I could expect enough quality writing to make a gamble on 'Seesaw' worth the money. I certainly wasn't disappointed. The author's decision to alternate high-impact psychological drama with outrageously funny farce keeps the reader glued to this book. Each piece more than pulls its weight in the collection, and Trevithick's deft, accessible style shines throughout.

That said, every collection has its stand-outs, and for me the highlights in the collection were the impressive 'Other Daughter/Other Mother' sequence, and 'London, The Doggy And Me'. It's very rare that a book both raises my heartbeat and makes me laugh out loud, but this one did exactly that. Rosen is a true writer with a true talent; I have relished reading all the stories which she has brought together here. Highly recommended!

Lipstick and Knickers
Lipstick and Knickers
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Louise Rennison for grown-ups, 13 Jan 2012
Any adult who read and enjoyed Louise Rennison as a teenager would love this story. The plot is simple - Ross wakes up to discover a thong and lipstick in his flat, and must find out whose they are before his girlfriend does. The writing is pacy and witty enough to keep the reader's interest for the full story - I devoured this in one sitting. Recommended to anyone looking for a well-written, light-hearted quick read. Rosen Trevithick is definitely a name to watch.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2012 2:37 PM GMT

On Avery Island
On Avery Island

5.0 out of 5 stars Avery Good record...., 19 Dec 2003
This review is from: On Avery Island (Audio CD)
I was drawn to NMH after accidentally stumbling across files on the Internet from their 2nd album, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. Having listened and loved the aforementioned, they fast became my favoutite band. I began to seek the back-catalogue, which is basically this CD and the 'Everything Is' single, although Jeff Mangum has done some solo recording too. Anyway, THIS ALBUM IS FANTASTIC. BUY IT. It took me a good few listens to really appreciate its simultaeneous intricacy and rawness of feeling, but once you get over the odd sounds and death-rant suicide lyrics, you'll find what's possibly the best album, ever recorded, ever. EVEN better than 'In An Aeroplane Over The Sea'. And that's Saying Something. Buy!

Watch Your Mouth
Watch Your Mouth
by Daniel Handler

3.0 out of 5 stars "Relatively" Interesting....., 10 Dec 2003
This review is from: Watch Your Mouth (Paperback)
I came across this book by complete accident one afternoon in Waterstone's, read the first few pages, by which I was very impressed, and decided to give the book a chance. Everything was great for the first 50 pages or so, I found the grand Opera metaphor strangely compelling; the theme of incest was, I thought, reasonably handled, the humour not to my taste but compensated by the delicious wordplay and clever use of language. Then the plot suddnenly took a new and completely RIDICULOUS turn which just ruined the whole thing for me... I won't spoil it incase you're planning on reading it, but if you are, be prepared to suspend your beliefs- big time. Oh, and the ending's quite infuriating too on first glance, although actually quite clever, if you really think about it. Overall, I loved the style and would be interested to read Handler's other novels, but have a sneaking suspicion I shoudn't have read this as an introduction to his work. Probably not his best.