ARRAY(0xa65bc06c)

The Calculus Wars
The Calculus Wars
by Jason Bardi

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Calculus Wars (Hardcover)
Repetitive, uninspiring...I was looking for a book that discussed the history behind the big storm that kicked off around Newtons and Liebniz rival claims to have discovered calculus, discussion of the fact that today we actually use Liebniz notation and his approach more that Newtons and other little titbits. It's been a while since I read it (late review...sorry) but as I recall it was full of rubbish. Perhaps the history or the interesting nuggets just aren't there...I doubt it though. Don't buy.

Finite Element Analysis with Error Estimators: An Introduction to the Fem and Adaptive Error Analysis for Engineering Students
by J. E. Akin
Price: 53.88

1.0 out of 5 stars I thought it was poor, 17 Mar 2014
I didn't think much of this. I had worked with Finite Element Analysis during my PhD (just a little) and I was looking for something to help me study this topic. The typesetting suggested to me that it had been knocked out in a hurry and the text was not clear or helpful. Perhaps if I had perservered then I might have gotten somewhere with it...I didn't. I recommend looking elsewhere...not sure where since I didn't need it in the end so I didn't pursue another source.

Handbook of Mathematical Functions (Dover Books on Mathematics)
Handbook of Mathematical Functions (Dover Books on Mathematics)
by Milton Abramowitz
Price: 30.40

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a mammoth handbook of data/functions/numbers...etc, 17 Mar 2014
If you're looking for this you probably know what your looking for. It's not a text book...it won't teach you calculus/relativity or solving equations...what it does have is a "gigantic" library of functions/approximations and old school log tables (as well as pages of other tyopes of tables...exp, powers etc...). Graphs, pictures of functions, Reimann functions...the list goes on...

5 stars seems a bit silly...I wouldnt say "I love it"...but it does what it says and is the one stop shop (I guess) for anything to do with mathematical functions...

Stasiland: Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall
Stasiland: Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall
by Anna Funder
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 17 Mar 2014
This is a well written short book that provides a small snapshot of life in the GDR. In essence, it is a set of interviews of people from "both sides" of the divide wound around Funders time working on research for a media organisation that is researching people who hail from both sides of the GDR (for/against). Don't expect a literary masterpiece with all the i's dotted and t's crossed that covers all the rich, complex and varied history of the cold war and GDR life...this is a short book that gallops through a series of interviews and Funder pulls out what she sees as the key aspects of each interview. I don't think the book pretends to be something it's not. Funder may sometimes offer her opinion on each interviewee and it's perhaps got a western slant on interpretation (i.e. critical of the GDR)...but it's a fantastic book that is in the top 20 books that I've read. Perhaps not "enjoyable" but certainly thought provoking. Not everyone is happy at the demise of the GDR. The book is not supposed to be dry, thorough academic tome. When you buy a book you normally know what your buying...I think some folks who have reviewed this think it's pretending to be something it's not. If you like cold war/east-west human history then buy it...

Diaries: In Power: In Power
Diaries: In Power: In Power
Price: 4.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and entertaining, 16 Mar 2014
I reviewed the second volume of the diaries...and I say pretty much the same here. This is a really entertaining piece of work that provide a fly on the wall coverage of the Thatcher government. Reading this book I sometimes wonder how Clarke managed to hold onto his job! He provides a blow by blow account of his time in government and his personal life. Whilst a lot of folks didn't follow his politics I agree with another reviewer in that the world is a little poorer without him...this book is well worth a read...

Diaries: Into Politics: Into Politics Vol 2
Diaries: Into Politics: Into Politics Vol 2
by Alan Clark
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, insightful and well worth a read, 16 Mar 2014
This is a gentle, easy read that'll make you smile, laugh out loud at times and perhaps educate you too. Clark wasn't everyones cup of tea but his diaries are really entertaining. Doesn't matter which side of the pilitical fence you reside...this'll be a worthwhile purchase...well worth a read!

Stalingrad
Stalingrad
by Antony Beevor
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Stalingrad (Paperback)
This is a harrowing and raw treatment of the seminal battle of the 2nd world war. Outstanding coverage of the tactics and strategy that had a crucial bearing on this turning point in the war Beevor gets a thumbs up from me for this hight quality exposition. Gripping, comprehensive and full of details it really drives home the horror of war...and the lengths that the soviets went to during this particular battle. Both sides showed the worst of what humans are capable of. Anyone interested in military history needs to buy this book!

Barbarossa: The Russian German Conflict: The Russian German Conflict, 1941-45 (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS)
by Alan Clark
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, 10 Mar 2014
I know a few folks don't like this book...I guess we all have different tastes. I thought this was a great book, well written by Clark. If you're keen on military history then I highly recommend. Not much more I can say...

The Making of the Atomic Bomb
The Making of the Atomic Bomb
by Richard Rhodes
Price: 11.55

5.0 out of 5 stars In my top 10 books...ever, 10 Mar 2014
A very comprehensive coverage of the history of the atomic bomb...from the initial science during the 30s all through the 40s and beyond this book has it all. I think I need to find the time to read again since I cantered through it fairly quickly (it's a bit of a page turner...best to take your time through the great technical detail). Don't be put off the size of this book...it's well worth the effort.

Heston Blumenthal at Home
Heston Blumenthal at Home
by Heston Blumenthal
Price: 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars one of my top 5 cook books...I've got a few!, 10 Mar 2014
Simple to follow...great tasting food...perfect lemon tart (no...it really is perfect if you get it right). Heston is obviously well known for his complex creations using exotic ingredients and gadgets. This book doesn't (always) need all those gadgets and stuff. Highly recommended for any home cook, this book is fantastic

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7