Profile for W. Aitken > Reviews

The Collier Campbell Archive: 50 Years of Passion in Pattern
The Collier Campbell Archive: 50 Years of Passion in Pattern
by Sarah Campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars A feast of colour, 9 Feb. 2013
A stunning book - full of beautiful textile designs, a joy! It's a weighty book but turning the pages are a pleasure. Highly recommended, a great source book for anybody interested in bold, colourful textile designs.

BaByliss 2775U 50 mm Big Hair Rotating S
BaByliss 2775U 50 mm Big Hair Rotating S

4.0 out of 5 stars This works, 29 April 2012
Sali Hughes recommended Big Hair in her column for the Guardian, her tips are always good, so I thought I would give it a try. I have been very pleased with the results so far. I'm useless at blowdrying my hair with a brush and hairdryer so this works for me. You have to clip your hair up and work in sections but once you've got used to drying like this, it's really easy and efficient. It also seems to keep the hairstyle a bit longer too. I'm not entirely convinced by it's science waffle - it's just a brush with air after all, but other than that it's been worth the purchase.

Result R037J Kids Junior Active Fleece Bodywarmer Gilet Navy M
Result R037J Kids Junior Active Fleece Bodywarmer Gilet Navy M
Offered by TEAM SOUTH WEST Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars a useful garment, 29 April 2012
My daughter needed a fleece to put under her school uniform coat/ waterproof and this really fits the bill. I bought a medium so it has plenty of growing space (she's aged 6) and it's a generous garment. It washes very well and has kept it's shape. Highly recommended.

This is London (This Is . . .) (Artists Monographs)
This is London (This Is . . .) (Artists Monographs)
by Miroslav Sasek

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 29 April 2012
Our daughters, aged 6 & 4 are beginning to get a sense of who they and where they are from. This beautiful book really helps them along the way. The illustrations of London are just stunning, a pleasure to look at for both children and adults. The hand drawn artwork is lovely, not like the computerised perfection from today, which just adds to the charm of this book. An absolute delight for locals and tourists alike.

This is Paris (This Is . . .) (Artists Monographs)
This is Paris (This Is . . .) (Artists Monographs)
by Miroslav Sasek

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful illustrations, 29 April 2012
We took our daughters on a trip to Paris and bought this book to remind them of their adventures. They are aged 6 and 4. Both love looking at the illustrations as they capture Paris beautifully. This is a wonderful book, harking back to an era when illustrations were a labour of love, with a quality that will always stand the test of time. I only wish there were more.

Silky Little Knits: Luxurious Designs and Accessories in Mohair-Silk Yarns
Silky Little Knits: Luxurious Designs and Accessories in Mohair-Silk Yarns
by Alison Crowther-Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful designs - great small projects, 29 April 2012
The designs are very pretty and I'm looking forward to making. My major gripe is more with the fact that some of the yarns used are discontinued by Rowan, so I'm currently looking to find alternatives from another brand. I'm also hoping to find a yarn that's also lower in price as some of these designs will end up costing a fortune using the recommended source. I know Rowan is a great yarn to work with however, some garments are looking at around £50 to complete so truly a luxury in these times of austerity. Wish me luck!

Nightingale Wood (VMC)
Nightingale Wood (VMC)
by Stella Gibbons

4.0 out of 5 stars Starting backwards, 29 April 2012
This review is from: Nightingale Wood (VMC) (Paperback)
Having heard the last few minutes of the radio four play of Nightingale Wood, I just had to get the book to find out how it began. With an introduction from Sophie Dahl, I knew I'd like it. The story is very bitter sweet, and very witty. The writing is very modern, drawing you in with a fast pace, with a subject matter that still has relevance today. It was a great read to curl up with, everything a classic should be, leaving me to now want to read Cold Comfort Farm which I look forward to next.

Dancing Danni MP3 Compatible Doll
Dancing Danni MP3 Compatible Doll
Offered by LaWebdeJuguete

3.0 out of 5 stars Huge price for 5 minutes of fun!, 18 April 2012
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This was purchased as a christmas present for our 4year old. It was fun for a bit then our daughter was bored with it. The doll falls over quite a lot when she's dancing, hardly surprising as the doll is very heavy. The MP3 link works well but again, she's not so steady on her feet when she's trying to groove! It's a stiff doll so doesn't have a cuddle factor for quiet times either. Also the doll has a strange looking body under her clothes to add to her oddness - who on earth designs these bizarre creatures! Save your money folks!

Bicycle Cover - BikeParka (NEW!) - Style STASH - Colour YEW (Yellow)
Bicycle Cover - BikeParka (NEW!) - Style STASH - Colour YEW (Yellow)

4.0 out of 5 stars This works for two little bikes too., 18 April 2012
Was looking for a bike cover for little bikes. I couldn't find anything small enough for a kids bike so I thought I'd get a regular cover and see if I could get 2 under it. The bike Parka did the trick perfectly. The bikeParka is surprisingly large given that it came rolled up small in its own handy pouch. The fabric is quite soft and durable, has worked in the rain so far. It has a great elastic at the bottom so the cover fits under wheels and doesn't blow away in the wind. It's quite pricey however it's well made and designed. The colour is also fantastic - you can definitely see the yellow in the dark! A handy product all in all.

Supertooth Disco Portable Bluetooth Stereo Speaker with UK Mains Adapter Plug - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I could have hoped, 12 Sept. 2009
Bought this because the sound from my recently bought laptop is tinny and harsh. I can't listen to music or streamed radio with that kind of sound for long.

I wanted a bluetooth device that has good sound and which is reliable. For £80 you are not going to get a better piece of kit than this. From opening the box to getting it to work took maybe 3 minutes. The sound is great - full and true. The battery really does last the 10 hours claimed, and charges quickly.

I really couldn't ask for more - this is a great product.