Profile for Jindrich > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Douglas Henshall

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good adaptations of Ann Cleeves's crimi stories., 16 Sep 2014
This review is from: Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
I like all these BBC TV adaptations of Ann Cleeves's four crimi novels. It seems to me in some parts that these adaptations are even better than the books. Especially the acting of Douglas Henshall as the detective Jimmy Perez is very convincing.

Khachaturian Cello Concerto
Khachaturian Cello Concerto
Offered by music_by_mail_uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Good performance, but sometimes lacking the drive, 16 Sep 2014
I am glad that I could buy these recordings of two famous works by Aram Khachaturian. The sound of the recording is rich, and the performance of the solist is great. I have only a reservation about the tempo which was chosen for the first movement (Allegro moderato) of the Cello Concerto. It seems to me much more "moderato" than "allegro" , the first movement is taken too slowly and is wholly lacking in the energy and drive required to bring it off.

Great Expectations - BBC [1999] [Dutch Import]
Great Expectations - BBC [1999] [Dutch Import]
Dvd ~ Ioan Gruffudd
Offered by MMRSALES

4.0 out of 5 stars More realistic adaptation of the Dickensian classic, 23 July 2014
This adaptation of the famous novel seemed to me very picturesque and lively. I was especially satisfied with the performance of Ioan Gruffudd in the title role of Pip. I was less satisfied with the performance of both Charlotte Rampling as Miss Havisham, and Justine Waddell as Estella, but these characters were designed already by Dickens as very untypical and unusual ones, and so it is nowadays very difficult to find a suitable actress who could be eligible for the roles. I like much better Gillian Anderson as Miss Havisham in the later Brian Kirk's adaptation, but the performance of Douglas Booth is to me much less convincing than that of Ioan Gruffudd in this older - more realistic - version.

Taggart - Mind Over Matter [DVD]
Taggart - Mind Over Matter [DVD]
Dvd ~ Blythe Duff
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best detective series I've ever watched, 30 Jun 2014
I was watching some of the later Taggart episodes on Czech TV about seven or eight years ago, and then I really enjoyed most of the episodes of the crimi series dubbed into Czech, so I wanted to have a try and watch at least one episode in original language. While having watched the original dialogues without English subtitles, it was for me sometimes very difficult to undestand, but in spite of my language handicap I was able to follow the plot, and in the end I was happy that I was able to enjoy the well written script which seems to me also in this episode very well filmed.

Premature Burial - Uncut! - Ray Milland [DVD]
Premature Burial - Uncut! - Ray Milland [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ray Milland
Offered by czech.out

4.0 out of 5 stars The classical adaption of a classical horror story, 23 May 2014
I like this adaption of the famous classical horror story by E. A. Poe. It preserves most of the typical scenery of the Victorian period, but the direction is creative and lively, so I found the film quite interesting and in some ways even more attractive than the modern American horror Psycho which was adapted for film two years earlier.

Kokkonen: Piano Works
Kokkonen: Piano Works
Offered by edinburghclassicalmusic

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant interpretation of piano works by prominent Finnish composer, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: Kokkonen: Piano Works (Audio CD)
I value Janne Mertanen for his recording the piano works by Joonas Kokkonen whose music is very interesting. Janne Mertanen is to me rather a romantic virtuoso type of pianist, but he plays the works by his compatriot with great understanding. It is decidedly praisworthy that this disc was recorded, even though it is mainly for a connoisseur as a valuable contribution to a closer acquaintance with important personality of modern Finnish music. I recommend this disc to anyone who wants to penetrate deeper into the world of modern piano music.

Great Expectations [DVD]
Great Expectations [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ray Winstone

3.0 out of 5 stars The latest BBC adaptation raises mixed feelings, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Great Expectations [DVD] (DVD)
Sarah Phelp's new adaptation has sometimes a very poetical and mysterious atmosphere, but without a powerful love story at its heart. Both the actor playing the part of older Pip and the actress playing the part of Estella are not convincing in their roles to me. Mr Douglas Booth seems to me more like a model than a really talented actor for a figure from a Dicken's novel. I like Ray Winstone and Gillian Anderson in their roles, but this new BBC adaptation often lacks psychologically truthful dramatic consistency.

Album des Six
Album des Six

4.0 out of 5 stars An refreshing approach to the perfomance of French piano music, 10 Sep 2013
This review is from: Album des Six (Audio CD)
I like French piano music - especially the piano works by Debussy and Ravel, so I was curious about how the pianist Pavlina Dokovska - born in Bulgaria - would play the less known compositions for piano solo by the members of Les Six. After careful listening of her playing I have to admit that her approach to the interpretation of French music is not only virtuosic but also quite original and refreshing.

Midsomer Murders Series 13: The Silent Land [DVD]
Midsomer Murders Series 13: The Silent Land [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Nettles

4.0 out of 5 stars An Episode of a Famous Detective Story Series, 10 Sep 2013
I like the playing of John Nettles as the chief inspector Barnaby in the well-known detective story series, and so I really enjoy every episode with him in this role. The playing of Iason Hughes as the Detective Sergant Ben Jones is also very convincing, particularly in this episode.

The Dresser [DVD] [2004]
The Dresser [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Albert Finney

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Film Based on a Good Play, 10 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Dresser [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I like this film because it is based on a quality scenario, and I also appreciate the all-star cast with the excellent perfomance of Albert Finney.

Page: 1 | 2