Profile for Stoker > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Belus
Belus

2.0 out of 5 stars Belus, 10 Jan 2011
This review is from: Belus (Audio CD)
I can't believe people still claim to find this band either interesting or "scary". I enjoyed Burzum up until Filosofem but come on!! It's not clever or exciting anymore. It's become a joke and claiming him as a genius is ridiculous as he can't even programme a drum machine in time or produce his music beyond a tinny 4 track mess. I know thats the idea but I'm afraid murdering someone and being a jerk doesn't make home demos sound any better. The album starts with him repeatedly dropping something. How terrifying, clever and exciting can you get? Oh and for those who say I "dont get it", I do get it, its just not very good. Nice sleeve though.

Spiral Shadow
Spiral Shadow

4.0 out of 5 stars Spiral Shadow, 10 Jan 2011
This review is from: Spiral Shadow (Audio CD)
Am I really the first person to give this album a review?! Apparently.
Anyhow, after the great first two records and then the career defining Static Tensions and Time Will Fuse it's Worth, Kylesa brave a daring new direction that by their standards can only be described as pop. The title track here really is the standout in my opinion, perhaps because I haven't quite got my head around the record as a whole and was suprised to hear them playing tracks as straight forward and singalong as Don't Look Back. I really do like this band a hell of a lot and admire the way they have progressed and worked so hard on their sound but this album hasn't really grabbed me yet or begged for repeated playing. It's just very different. Maybe it will sudenly hit me, only time will tell. The duel drum attack it still very much in place, the riffs are crushing in places but the growling metal seems to have ever so slightly gone and been replaced with catchy tunes that only prove further how diverse this bands influences are.

The Last Exorcism [DVD]
The Last Exorcism [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ashley Bell

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete Letdown, 2 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Last Exorcism [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this film at frightfest and I have never witnessed such a hilariously dissapointed audience in my life. Despite a promising start nothing could prepare you for the massive let down of this film. People even seemed uncomfortable clapping when the film had finished. Fairly competent directing let down by terribly bad and misleading advertising. I,m sure the problem with this film was once again Eli Roths involvement as the end was hysterically cliched and out of place. Avoid.

Wolfmother
Wolfmother

1.0 out of 5 stars Wolfmother, 18 Oct 2010
This review is from: Wolfmother (Audio CD)
This band are so phoney and corporate I would actually like to punch them repeatedly before introducing them to some real rock n roll. I bet they drink alcohol free beer. What an embarrassing record. This makes even the White Stripes seem undergound and credible.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2011 12:44 PM GMT

Black 1
Black 1

2.0 out of 5 stars Someone had to say it..., 8 Oct 2010
This review is from: Black 1 (Audio CD)
I like Sunn but for goodness sake people, all their records are exactly the same!! I like most doom, drone, black, death metal but come on, this Sunn obssession is just ridiculous. Goatsnake were great. Exciting, rocking and fresh. Sunn unfortunately appeal to the kind of people who read vice magazine like it's the bible. I'm pretty sure the band themselves are laughing at how many people have fallen for this one trick pony. Those who say "you don't get it" are talking nonsense. These guys have 1 riff. And it's a good riff. Once.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2014 8:16 PM GMT

Monoliths and Dimensions
Monoliths and Dimensions

4.0 out of 5 stars Monoliths and Dimensions, 8 Oct 2010
I either own or have heard most of Sunn's records and I would definitely agree with those who rate this as their strongest album so far. Having said that, I think Sunn suffer from having a slightly pretensious fanbase who must know full well that all their albums sound exactly the same but dont seem willing to admit it. I know so many people who prefer one record from another but come on, I'm sure even Greg Anderson is aware of the fact they possess a humor that their fans dont. Sunn have certainly not needed to release so much music. They seem to be popular with those who go to atp festival every year, are too bored or scared to discover other better doom and drone music and own more Sunn t shirts than actual records.One or two albums would have done fine by these guys and would certainly have made them more unique. But, as with many others it seems, their popularity staggers me and seems to have sadly become a bit of a fashion statement. Shame as this album is great.

Funny People [DVD] [2009]
Funny People [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Adam Sandler
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very Funny People, 3 Sep 2010
This review is from: Funny People [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
As with all Apatow films, this could have been so good but as usual is just way way too long. Seriously, you could fast forward about half an hour of the middle of this film (which revolves entirely around Apatows real life family messing about for the camera, which is of course pleasant enough but ever so slightly self indulgent and uncomfortable) and not really miss anything. Sandler and Schwatzman really stand out, but its impossible to feel too much for anything going on on-screen as it feels like it's NEVER going to end. Please Judd, shorten your films! Ever person I have ever spoken to about your films agrees!

Public Strain
Public Strain

4.0 out of 5 stars Public Strain, 19 Aug 2010
This review is from: Public Strain (Audio CD)
I loved Women's debut and played it to death. I was really exited by their unique sound (Not to mention my band getting a support slot with them in London.)However, this album is NOT what I expected. I've given it 4 stars as Im convinced and hope it will grow on me. After 3 listens though, I'm still utterly confused by it. The walls of noise have gone, the quirky Beach Boys twisted pop is gone and the band sound pretty miserable. There are a couple of immediate tunes,(mainly Locust Valley)though I'm yet to shout from the rooftops about it. Hmmm...I guess it's either really clever or a complete change in direction. I'd be interested to hear what other fans of the first album have to say.

Witch Who Came From the Sea [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Witch Who Came From the Sea [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Millie Perkins
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars The Witch Who Came From The Sea, 5 Mar 2010
Having seen this film on the video nasties list I was slightly dubious about watching it as the majority of those films are either overrated or extremely dull (With the exception of a few truly great ones! And I'm sure you know which ones I mean.) However, I was really impressed with this film. It's a suprisingly well made and original piece of shock cinema. I don't really see this as horror, despite there being a few fairly horrific moments and a downbeat feel throughout. Anyhow, I highly recommend this one to anyone who enjoys 70's exploitation, horror or just plain weird films. Millie Perkins is exceptional and all in all I'd say this deserves a bit of time as its a very underrated film. And a very strange one at that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2013 5:42 PM BST

The Wolfman (2010) - Extended Cut [DVD]
The Wolfman (2010) - Extended Cut [DVD]
Dvd ~ Emily Blunt
Offered by DVDBayFBA

1.0 out of 5 stars Wolf Man, 23 Feb 2010
After hearing about all the production difficulties that took place during the making of Wolf Man (and already aware it would a be fairly pointless remake)I wasn't expecting much besides a bit of an unintentional chuckle, but this really is just shockingly bad. No one involved looked even the slightest bit interested in the film and the ridiculous cgi (a deer?! Aren't deers fairly easy to come by?)was just terrible. I almost felt sorry for the cast. Seriously...give this one a miss. You'll be either shaking your head with confusion afterwards or annoyed you forked out the money for it. I can't imagine anyone would dream of sitting through this twice.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9