Profile for Mr. Glen Haig > Reviews

Content by Mr. Glen Haig

Mr. Glen Haig (Edinburgh)

Page: 1 | 2
Football Manager 2014 (PC DVD)
Football Manager 2014 (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars A game which will probably put you in a bad mood but is capable of giving you a sense of achievment like no other., 15 Feb. 2015
Great, if sometimes frustrating game. As other reviewers have said. it's not perfect. I started as Queen's Park manager and kept getting my best players poached by rival teams as Queen's Park are an amateur side and you can't tie your players down to professional contracts. The board kept criticising me for it even though there was nothing I could do. I am now in my 4th season in charge of Montrose having gotten them promoted to Scottish League 1 and I need to finish in the playoffs if I'm to keep my job. It's very satisfying when things are going well but can be a punishing experience when things are going badly. A others have said, tactical changes usually do little to arrest a slump in form, often wholesale changes to your squad are required to turn things around.

All in all, a great game even if it will make your neighbours think that you are having a domestic with your other half when you are shouting at your computer after the opposition score a 93rd minute equaliser from an offside position and the ref lets the goal stand.

Silent Hill [DVD]
Silent Hill [DVD]
Dvd ~ Radha Mitchell
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a bit silly but it looks great., 25 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Silent Hill [DVD] (DVD)
This is probably just a 2 star film, but because I'm a huge fan of the 1st three Silent Hill video games, I've given it an extra star for recreating the look of the games so faithfully. There are some great set-pieces in this, particularly where the cult members get what coming to them near the end but, equally, there is a lot of camp sillyness. When the cult members are screaming "A witch! Burn them! Burn them!", you keep expecting Eric Idle to pop up and complain about being turned into a newt. Daft and not exactly thought provoking but it's a decent ride.

Wincing The Night Away
Wincing The Night Away
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like The Smiths, you'll like this., 13 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Wincing The Night Away (Audio CD)
Listening to the first half of this album, it's hard to get away from The Smiths comparisons. Especially on Phantom Limb which owes alot to the classic Smith track, Half a Person. This, of course, is no bad thing, and many people who were put off The Smiths by Morrissey's downbeat vocal style won't have the same problems with James Mercer's vocals.
All in all, a very good album full of great tracks, and still one which i listen to regularly today, despite owning it for a good few years. Recommended.

The Suburbs
The Suburbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Get Much Better than This., 7 Aug. 2010
This review is from: The Suburbs (Audio CD)
I wouldn't normally review an album after less than a week of listenening to it, I normally like to live with an album for at least 6 months before I make my mind up about it's merits, but I haven't felt this way about a new album since Kid A, by Radiohead. Like Kid A, this album will take 6 or 7 spins before it starts to sink in properly, once it does the songs will be going round in your head as you go about your daily routines, and when you get home or into your car, you'll be itching to listen to your new "favourite" track from the album which will change each time you listen to it.
Will I still feel the same about it in 5 years time? Well, I love Kid A even more now than I did after a week, so I suspect so.

Football Manager 2010 (PC/MAC DVD)
Football Manager 2010 (PC/MAC DVD)
Offered by Gameseek

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but cruel game., 2 Aug. 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This is the sort of game that you will start playing on Sunday morning and still be playing at midnight. It's very in depth, but can leave you in dispair when you star players get injured, poor results leave your team with no moral, and you can't sign anyone because you have no money. I started as Elgin City manager and set up Aberdeen as my parent club hoping to get some talented youngsters on loan. No chance, the players would rather just play for Aberdeen U19's than get some 1st team experience, very frustrating!
Like previous games, the main skill is finding the right players that fit into your team, and there is nothing more satisfying than seeing your new signing playing a blinder on his debut. It's a hard game, but a rewarding one for those who stick with it.

Football Manager 2006 (Mac/PC CD)
Football Manager 2006 (Mac/PC CD)
Offered by 6 Hungry Weasels

3.0 out of 5 stars Infuriating pass backs!, 9 Aug. 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I've lost count of how many goals and points I've lost in an average season due to my players passing the ball back to the keeper and an opposing player intercepting the pass. Also the keepers will dally on the ball and allow the opposition to take the ball from them and score.

This is a good game, but this bug alone will have you screaming at the screen "JUST HOOF IT OUT FOR A THROW!" at least 3 times every match.

The Simpsons - Season 6  [DVD]
The Simpsons - Season 6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ The Simpsons
Offered by Mediacentre

5.0 out of 5 stars Clown College? You can't eat that!, 2 Aug. 2009
You just can't go wrong with this boxed set. Every episode in this season is a classic.

I have a friend who has never gotten into The Simpsons, so I loaned her this season. Needless to say, she is now a fan.

This season contains my all time favourite episode, "Homer the Great".
It's a secret ... shuddup! Pure comedy gold!

In Space
In Space
Offered by The Music Warehouse

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty forgettable album, 11 July 2009
This review is from: In Space (Audio CD)
Have listened to this a few times, and while it contains a couple of decent tracks, it's not an album which I will ever listen to from start to finish again. Just too many weak songs.

In Rainbows
In Rainbows

5.0 out of 5 stars These guys can do no wrong., 11 July 2009
This review is from: In Rainbows (Audio CD)
When I heard about Radioheads "Pay what you want" download idea for this album, I was a bit worried this would be a bit "throw away". I should have known better with a band of Radioheads class. This album is fantastic.
Where, in my opinion, "Hail to the Thief" was a tad bloated and aggressive in tone, this album contains no tracks which will have your finger hovering over the skip button. This, for the most part, is soothing, life affirming music.
Radiohead always make great records to drive to, and this is one of my favourites for my long distance journeys.

The Simpsons: Complete Season 1 [DVD]
The Simpsons: Complete Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dan Castellaneta

4.0 out of 5 stars If you don't like the new episodes, go back to the start., 28 Jun. 2009
Like a lot of Simpsons fans, I don't bother to watch the new episodes and don't have much interest in anything post season 10.

When my faith in The Simpson is tested by new episodes I go back and start watching these early seasons and I am reminded why I fell in love with the show in the first place.

Season 1 is a bit rough around the edges, but it's still a must for fans. The first episode "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire" is still one of my favourites and is sure to bring a tear to the eye when Homer deliveres the line "He's a Simpson", at the end.

All and all, this and the next 6 seasons are essential purchases for all comedy fans.

Page: 1 | 2