Profile for BC > Reviews

The French Diet: Lose Weight, Eat Well the French Way
The French Diet: Lose Weight, Eat Well the French Way
by Michel Montignac

5.0 out of 5 stars It actually works, 5 Feb. 2006
I tried exercise, reducing calories, watching fat intake, expensive dietary supplements etc for several years, yet each year my weight would ratchet up by about 3 kilos. Then I read this book. M.Montignac explains in simple terms why conventional weight loss approaches have missed the point - it's not about reducing calories, you can eat as much as you want, it just has to be the right kind of food, prepared in the right way, and a reasonable balance between protein, carbs and fat.
As a vegetarian, I found the specific foods recommended in the book did not give me a lot of choices (and since when was chicken a vegetarian choice (p.158)?), but by applying some of the principles (mainly - avoid sucrose/glucose, white flour, potatoes etc) I have lost 9 kilos in a couple of months without really trying. I'm never hungry, I eat a number of high fat foods such as tahini and nuts, and I even allow myself some things which should be avoided, like beer, and still the weight keeps falling off.
Although it has its flaws, I'm giving it 5 stars because it has worked for me where nothing else did - it's probably the best money I ever spent.

Do Not Adjust Your Set [DVD]
Do Not Adjust Your Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eric Idle

4.0 out of 5 stars An important piece of history, 3 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Do Not Adjust Your Set [DVD] (DVD)
I have fond (if distant) memories of DNAYS, and welcomed this release. Top marks to Amazon and the UK postal service for getting it to Australia in just one week.
Did it live up to expectations? Yes and no - I agree with much of what previous reviewers have written. There are certainly plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, the Bonzo's are superb - worth the price for their performances alone - and the evil Mrs Black is kinda cute (and has a wicked laugh). But my fading memories of the show do seem to recall more of a Terry Gilliam influence than is evident here.
Technically this series is fairly primitive - it's in B&W for a start, it doesn't always fit on the screen, the sets are basic, and where there are edits, they are not subtle. But as Terry Jones explains in his feature interview, although this was (mostly?) recorded on tape, it was essentially live - there was no editing equipment (other than scissors) and editing was in any event heavily discouraged, as it devalued the tape. Considering these constraints, it holds up very well.
Note - the DVD is only divided into whole episodes, making finding individual sketches a real chore. This was an unnecessarily retro thing to do. The packaging is also careless at times ("...series that lead to the creation of Monty Python" - I think "led to" is the phrase you were looking for). But I do appreciate the decision to make the discs region-free.
I hope there is a second series to come - I'll buy it anyway, but a little more attention to detail would be nice.