Profile for J. Alexander > Reviews

Content by J. Alexander

J. Alexander "markmaccoll" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Scripture and the Authority of God: How to Read the Bible Today
Scripture and the Authority of God: How to Read the Bible Today
by N. T. Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars 'the best book of its kind available, 22 Oct. 2014
I endorse the quote on the front cover, 'the best book of its kind available.' For a lay person like myself, Tom Wright gives clear and valuable insight into how to approach the reading of Scripture. There is a very useful section on the misreading of Scripture. The book highlights the importance of Scripture and the need for teachers and preachers to open the Bible to people in the power of the Spirit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tyme to move the mountains back where they belong, 15 Oct. 2008
This review is from: 2 (Audio CD)
Sandy Denny's demo of 'Wild Mountain Tyme' that I heard on Youtube recently is one of the most beautiful renditions of a traditional folk ballad I have ever heard. I could not wait to hear it in pristine condition on 'Fotheringay 2'. Jerry Donahue and the guys have done a fine job of adding some beautiful instrumentation to the track but..shock horror...it is ruined when a deep male voice harmonises under Sandy's voice. I could not believe it, as a track that had a sound conjuring beautiful Gaelic imagery is suddenly turned into Aslan the Lion (the deep voice,) bounding out of the hedgerows turning the piece into a christian singalong. The deep voice singer can sing but it was so disappointing for me to hear an outside voice on top of Sandy's performance that I am so used to hearing her sing 'solo'.
Personal preferences aside, Jerry Donahue and the rest of the group have done a top notch job in delicately adding eloquent instrumentation to both 'John The Gun' and 'Silver Threads and Golden Needles' which is a very strong piece of work. Although at first the many clicks that can be heard and Denny's vocal on Verse Two of 'John The Gun' that is chopped up, (probably because of the age of the master tape,) is slightly distracting, on second onwards listening they are scarcely noticeable.
As majestic as the bands playing is, revamping the old master tapes, I do not feel that this is a five star album, although I do think it is a very fine and admirable one nonetheless.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2015 9:53 PM BST

Love It When I Feel Like This
Love It When I Feel Like This
Offered by TwoRedSevens

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the awful name put you off., 9 Jun. 2007
I recently purchased this album having never heard any music by the twang. I must say I am pleasantly surprised. The tunes are very catchy and the guitar work is pretty amazing. The only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is that there is too much unneccesary swearing in the songs which detracts from the album.

Kite
Kite
Offered by rsc-media

5.0 out of 5 stars High Flying Kite, 19 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Kite (Audio CD)
This is one of my favourite albums of all time and I do not know quite where to begin in describing it. Firstly, Kirsty's voice is one of the most original and beautiful voices you'll ever hear. In the darkest times I walk in the night and play this CD and it makes me feel very tearful yet that a close friend is with me. The opener 'Innocence' is a strong tirade against male chauvinism and is striding and grand. Listening to 'Free World' feels as if you are on a motorbike riding through tunnels of lights....it's hard to describe but when you hear it you'll know what I mean. The lyrics of this song, I suppose are against Thatcher but in this age thay could be equally against blair. 'Mother's Ruin' is an ode to hope from a dark situation; 'leave a light on and don't shut the door' a moving closing line. 'Days' has always sounded to me like a prayer but a spiritual one rather than religious. 'No Victims' is a tirade against love rats and I feel is one of the greatest white soul records ever made.

In this celebrity culture the lyrics of 'Fifteen Minutes'; 'Then there's always the fame, autographs now and again' is staggeringly significant and 'Don't Come The Cowboy With Me Sonny Jim' is a very special song about a guy trying to be like the gang but he can't change because there's 'a light in his eyes' that tells us 'there's somebody in'.

The closer 'You and Me Baby' is Kirsty at her most intimate. It's you and her at the end of the world holding hands to walk the final mile.

Do forgive me..I've run out of words..This album is staggering. Nothing else comes near it. Absolutely nothing.

Hounds Of Love
Hounds Of Love
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the hype and enjoy on own merits, 19 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Hounds Of Love (Audio CD)
If you were to buy this album on the hype it recieves and the fact that it is often cited as a classic album then you may be dissapointed. I know I was when I first heard it. I loved 'Wuthering Heights' and my real introduction to her music through 'Aerial' was an enchanting intitiation. But I felt that 'Hounds Of Love' was too busy and preposterous and I wondered why people held it in such high asteem. Then one day, as a lot of music does, 'Cloudbusting' unconsciously entered into my thoughts and I couldn't get it out again and all of a sudden the album didn't seem busy but big and vast and fathomless. And what had once seemed preposterous seemed actually very clever. In short, this is very much of a mood album. Kate goes for a mood and she creates it with skill and passion. The first side has four gloriously big pop songs on it and 'Mother Stands for Comfort' which although is a dissapointing song comes as a welcome respite after the intensity of 'The Big Sky'. The suite on Side Two is essential for it's breathtaking ambition and realisation. 'Hello Earth' with it's eery male voice choir voices is a standout. A damn fine album. Possibly her best.

Hejira
Hejira

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Joni's best, 19 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Hejira (Audio CD)
In my opinion 'Hejira' is probably Joni's most articulate record and that is really saying something as Joni is probably the greatest songwriter this planet has ever had. The album has a hypnotic and ethereal quality that is both entrancing and stimulating. Joni's beautiful flanged guitar illuminates the proceedings and I always thought that the lyrics on the album were a nod to Sylvia Plath. Both writers have a deepness about their writing but one that does not draw you away instead it allows you into their world. 'Amelia' is my favourite song of all time. It's up there, I feel, with Philip Larkin's 'Whitsun Weddings' and other great works of art.

If you are a Joni virgin then maybe this album isn't the best one to start with. When I first discovered Joni this one went to the back of the pile behing 'Blue' and 'Ladies Of The Canyon' but now I'm older I can really relate to what Joni is communicating.

Moving, thought provoking, clever, profound, all in all it's one hell of an album!

No Other
No Other

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 19 Mar. 2007
This review is from: No Other (Audio CD)
'No Other' is one of those rare gems of a record that just gets better with each listen. I suppose, it's a bit like Astral Weeks by Van Morrison or like Ys by Joanna Newsom as at first it can seem hard to get into, but once you have you will never be able to get away from it! And that's a good thing, by the way! It's a record with different shades. It's hard to describe but there are songs on this album that are both happy and sad at the same time. For instance, the album's opener 'Life's Greatest Fool' with it's otherwordly country rock chuggerlong and gospel choir is both extactically uplifting and overwhelmingly sad at the same time. With lyrics like 'Children laugh and run away, while others look into the darkness of the day', the album is never less than profound. With Sly Stone contributing some mean funk on 'No Other' and 'Lady of the North' the musicianship is simply telephathic.

It is a shame Clark was snatched away from us through his booze and ill health as I think he would be pleased to know that many people are greatly moved by the 'No Other' experience. I hope that this joyous album is one you soon decide to purchase.

The Madcap Laughs
The Madcap Laughs
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply moving, 19 Mar. 2007
This review is from: The Madcap Laughs (Audio CD)
All I can really say about this album is that it has helped me through a lot of hard times. Some albums, especially by singer-songwriters are like documents or letters of what you're best friend has been up to, who they've seen and who they've met and this letter home is full of such longing and joy and sadness it is hard not to be changed by the experience. Syd was very beautiful and this is apparent in the opener 'Terrapin' and in the enchanting

'Dark Globe'. A great deal of the songs are just him and a guitar but are never whiny or self indulgent like some modern singer-songwriters. Like Van Gogh and Kirsty MacColl, Syd had a natural talent for songwriting that was both incendiary and inventive. I don't know if this meagre review will make you purchase this album or not but I urge you to purchase a copy, it is sold quite cheaply, and who knows, Syd might help you through a lot of hard times aswell.

Hoovering The Moon
Hoovering The Moon

5.0 out of 5 stars Staggering, 15 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Hoovering The Moon (Audio CD)
All I can say is that I think this album is beautiful. Willy's lyrics are not only poetic but they also have teeth and are powerful. His knowledge and compassion for people is fathomless - this is no writer locked away in his ivory tower writing various pretentions. I dislike it when people compare authors to each other but in his depth and uniqueness of vision, Sir John Betjeman is brought to mind. The tenderness of 'Any Father', the depth and dazzle of 'Dirty Little Habit' and razz and sparkle of 'When we get to London' that so moves me, it's like I'm on that train traveling to somewhere where I can be understood. Please, please buy this album so that you too can hop onto that train and discover your dreams.

Abracadabra: The Asylum Years (International Release)
Abracadabra: The Asylum Years (International Release)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 4 Feb. 2007
Very little to say except I find these two albums astonishing and a breath of fresh air in such a cynical and uninlightened age. It's a shame that English scholars who say they have no time for music other than classical preach about some pretensious muse who we don't understand anyway...ah, James Joyce, Marcel Proust..for all the glitz and glamour couldn't sing like Judee. Her voice, her songs...so, so beautiful.

Page: 1 | 2