Profile for Mr. S. M. Kelly > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. M. Kelly

Mr. S. M. Kelly "kelrulesok1987"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Scouting For Girls
Scouting For Girls
Offered by MediaMerchants

1.0 out of 5 stars UTTER RUBBISH!, 5 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Scouting For Girls (Audio CD)
I'm a huge music fan - I like anything, from heavy metal to drum and bass. I even like many pop and 'cheesy' records, as long as there is a good and catchy beat - Abba being a great example!
However, Scouting For Girls or with ought a doubt the worst band I have ever heard. I thought bands like The Feeling and The Hoosiers were bad...this just tops the lot!
From the first single 'She's So Lovely', I already despised the annoying repetition of the lyrics - repeating the same line throughout the whole chorus is just soo lazy!
I thought I'd give the group a chance, but after hearing all the rest of the singles, I have lost all hope. Every song sounds EXACTLY the same, the only difference is the lyrics...which are also terrible!
I admitally haven't heard the whole album, but the last four released songs basically seem to tell the story - utter rubbish! Why this band are so big and are playing all the major festivals this year is beyond me. Luckily I'm going to Reading Festival soon (where real music is!), and I know for a fact that they definitely aren't playing there...the band obiously knew that they would have been seriously bottled off stage by the crowd, with me among them!
AVOID THIS ALBUM LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

Rock Band - Game Only (Xbox 360)
Rock Band - Game Only (Xbox 360)
Offered by MDS Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars SOOO MUCH FUN!, 23 May 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
First of all, I totally agree with the reviews on here - the overall price tag for the instruments and the game itself is ridiculous, and will probably lose EA a lot of orders. I would personally not get the whole kit + game for the current price.
However, I am lucky enough to own both a 'Guitar Hero' guitar-controller, plus a 'Singstar' USB microhphone. Therefore, I was able to just buy the drum kit for 70 quid, plus the game, which alltogether came to about £110. Although this is still expensive, I'm glad I was able to not buy the whole instrument set. Also, whenever I need an extra guitar for bass or rhythm, i can simply ask one of my mates to bring over their own Guitar Hero controller.
After only playing the game on the drum kit for a few hours today, I have to say that this is one of the best gaming experiences I have ever played. Its so damn addictive, and the choice of songs is also very good - very varied for every persons taste in rock music.
Like I said previously, I totally agree with the negative reviews for the price. However, if like me you own most of the instruments anyway, then I highly recommend purchasing the game and the drum kit to complete the experience. My mates will be over tonight so we can get drunk and rock the night away, and I can't wait!

The Essential Clash
The Essential Clash
Offered by the_record_factory

5.0 out of 5 stars I NEVER GET BORED OF THIS CD!, 10 Jun. 2007
This review is from: The Essential Clash (Audio CD)
This is such an awesome collection!

I have more or less every Clash album made, but this 2 disc CD is a great mix of some of their best work, and really represents why they are one of the greatest and most important bands ever formed.

The first disc is my personal favourite - opening with the stomping 'White Riot', this CD shows their early work...tracks such as 'Complete Control' and 'London's Burning' have heavy political views, but performed in such a furious rage that demands your attention. This is the band in their youth years - all the tracks are pure punk anthems, which I love!

Disc Two starts off with their best work - a mixture of genres such as reggae and rock are clearly heard in 'London Calling' and 'Rudy Can't Fail', but particularly in 'The Guns Of Brixton'; one of my favorite Clash songs. This stage saw the band at their peak, and made them unique compared to many other punk bands at the time.

The last few tracks in my opinion are not as good, as this shows the bands more mainstream approach...although 'Stay/Go' is still very catchy!

All in all, this for me is a perfect tribute to one of my favorite bands ever. 30 years on, and many modern bands (The Libertines etc) are still influenced by this group, as this CD clearly shows. I'm only 20 years old, meaning I wasn't even around when the group were formed...but in my opinion this band simply wipe most of the modern so-called-punk bands off the floor!

If your new to The Clash or an old school fan, you owe it to yourself to buy this collection - enough said, BUY NOW!

The Mighty Boosh : Complete BBC Series 1 & 2 [DVD] [2004]
The Mighty Boosh : Complete BBC Series 1 & 2 [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Noel Fielding
Offered by claires_media_store

5.0 out of 5 stars SURREAL BUT AWESOME STUFF!, 12 Mar. 2007
First things first - don't judge this show just by watching a few clips. I tried that approach, and was only left confused and un-interested.

However, I then resorted to watching the first episode all the way through...and became instantly hooked!

This really is surreal comedy at its best - almost (dare I say it) the modern day Monty Python.

The first series follows Howard and Vince and their adventures at the Zoo-niverse, which in my opinion is the best of the 2 series. The 2nd is still great, but taking us away from the Zoo setting was not as fun for me. However, the 2nd series episodes are still hilarious, and Milky Joe is by far my favourite episode of the whole bunch.

Its hard to explain what makes this show so great, so do what I did - watch one episode, and judge for yourself. If you like, then please buy - you will not regret it!

Xbox 360 Console (20 GB Hard Drive)
Xbox 360 Console (20 GB Hard Drive)

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS THE NEXT NEXT-GEN!, 22 Jan. 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have only previously owned Playstation consoles, and am therefore completely new to the Xbox experience. I bought this purely due to the fact the PS3 will not be out til March at an expensive price - but now I'm converted to Microsoft!

This is by far the best console I have ever owned - everything about it is ace!

The graphics on many of the games are amazing, especially on my recently purchased HD TV. The Dashboard menu works well, and I really enjoy being able to play my own uploaded music whilst playing on the console - games like Project Gotham work extremely well with this option!

I am also completely new to Xbox Live, but this is now by far my favourite option! I love playing top games such as Gears of War and Call Of Duty 3 online with players from around the world, and the supplied headphones make communicating with other players so much easier.

You can also download items for your games, such as new multiplayer maps and themes for your Dashboard. This makes the whole Xbox experience feel like your playing on a PC, so its clear that this is a console by Microsoft!

All in all, I am glad I have purchased this console over the PS3. Although the adaptor and console itself are heavy and tend to heat up, these are small minors for an overall excellent gaming experience - thanks Microsoft!

Guitar Hero 1 Bundle  (PS2)
Guitar Hero 1 Bundle (PS2)

5.0 out of 5 stars ROCK N ROLLLLLLLLL!, 11 Aug. 2006
I am a huggge fan of PS2 party games, and more-or-less own them all - from Dance games through to Singstar and Buzz. Not one has failed to dissappoint, all making a social gathering 10 x the fun!

When I heard about Guitar Hero, my hopes were high. Being a massive rock fan, being able to jam along on a virtual guitar sounded awesome.

Now I own the game, I have to say its even better then I imagined! This is sooo much fun, and anyone who is anyone can play it - thats a fact!

The controller really does makes this game, featuring all the details of a real guitar, making you feel like your actualy playing the real thing.

The teacklisting is also awesome, with classics such as Ziggy Stardust and Ace Of Spades.

I have owned this game for a day and am addicted, as there is so much scope throughout - difficulty settings, unlockable characters and songs, and many more besides.

The only downside is the multiplayer mode, which consists of players co-operating whilst taking turns on certain parts of the song. This does not add to the effect of jamming together.

Apart from this small minor, this is such a good game. And with the annoucement of Guitar Hero 2 - featuring more songs and an improved multiplayer mode - this is set to be a wicked series!

Purchase this 1st in the collection and you WONT be disappointed!

The Masterplan
The Masterplan
Offered by Giant Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars THESE SHOULDNT BE B-SIDES!, 3 Aug. 2006
This review is from: The Masterplan (Audio CD)
Being a hugggggge Oasis fan, I was interested in hearing The Masterplan; a collection of B-Sides from numerous singles over the bands many successful years.

I have to say that after hearing this, I am shocked upon the quality of each song on the album. These are easily good enough to be songs featured on an LP or even as an A-side single.

The cool thing about this collection is the variety. The album greets us with Acquiese, quite possibly the greatest and most famous non-single ever. From this point, we hear not only the classic rockin' Oasis style were all used to, but many slower harmonies sung by Noel himself, which helps us to see the band in a whole new light that we are very rarely shown. Examples of this are 'Talk Tonight' and 'Half The World Away'; the song that is now known as the theme from TV's 'The Royal Family'.

Although I enjoy all of the Oasis LP's, this stand-alone album is a treat. Therefore, I would say this is by far not only the greatest B-sides collection ever, but possibly the greatest collection of Oasis songs on one CD!

If your a huge Oasis fan, you owe it to yourself to own this unique album. I look forward to the bands 'definitive collection' due out later this year which will feature a mixture of all the bands works; but until then, this is a must have!

Black Holes and Revelations
Black Holes and Revelations

5.0 out of 5 stars "YOU AND I MUST FIGHT TO SURVIVE!!!", 6 July 2006
Muse are withought a doubt my favourite present British band. All 3 previous albums are superb, each different and unique, and I was really looking forward to the new helping from the musical trio.

Their new album, Black Holes and Revelations, has left me lost for words. Like their previous LPs, it takes a few listens to fully appricate it, but when you do you realise you are listening to something really special.

People say Muse have changed instyle with the release of the new single Super Massive Black Hole. This is true in ways, but Muse has still been able to hold on to what they do best musically. Every song is different from the last, with bizzare effects such as laser blasts and horses mixed in with heavy guitar riffs, as well as softer melodic tunes.

Every song on the album is awesome, but my favourite has got to be the finale - Knights of Cydonia. A 6 minute blast of screeching vocals and a fantastic guitar riff, this is the best ending to an album I have heard in years.

Not enough can be said to give this LP the praise it deserves, but I'l simply say this is not only Muses best album, but the best album of 2006...and possibly of the 21st century! (so far that is)

Buy it!!!

Liberation Transmission
Liberation Transmission
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars SECOND HELPINGS!, 22 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Liberation Transmission (Audio CD)
Although I am a huge fan of any type of music, I am admitally more of an indie fan, preferring the lighter side of rock such as Oasis and Coldplay.

However, there is something about Lost Prophets that I cant resist! Their able to combine pop melodys with hard rock guitar riffs and the occassional shouting, cross genering more or less every type of music there is.

The first album had superb songs such as Last Summer and Burn Burn, but some tracks felt like album fillers.

This album, however, is an exception. You can tell that every song has had lots of thought and input into its creation, and there is not one track I would skip. Personal favourites are the opener track 'Everyday Combat' and the newest single 'Rooftops' but every song on here is a rocking anthem.

All in all, a superb album by a very underestimated group of Welsh lads. Due to their rocking tunes, many people tend to dislike the style of music the Porophets play - but to the rest of us, their the greatest band out there at the moment. A must buy!

News And Tributes (Standard Cd)
News And Tributes (Standard Cd)
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT 2ND ALBUM, 6 Jun. 2006
I LOVE the Futureheads! The first album was a bizarre but brill LP, with short but extremely sweet rocking tunes.

It seems that the clan have tried to change their style in music slightly in their 2nd album, but they pull it off with success. Some songs have familar Futureheads among them, such as 'Yes/No' and 'Worry About It Later'. Other songs take on a more gentler approach, such as 'Back To The Sea'. This makes the album much more varied, unlike the first LP; which although is still a great album, all the songs seem to sound the same.

All in all, this is a great effort on a 2nd album from the wacky Futureheads. It appears that much more production and thought has been put into it, and its a bold but great change to the Futureheads we all love.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4