Profile for Julia Phillips > Reviews

Silver and Salt
Silver and Salt
Price: 4.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Urban Fantasy, 27 July 2014
This review is from: Silver and Salt (Kindle Edition)
Consistently high standard of writing, plotting and characterisation.

Origin (Lux - Book Four)
Origin (Lux - Book Four)
Price: 2.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative addition to the YA shelf, 27 July 2014
Another excellent instalment in this imaginative series.

Matt Archer: Bloodlines (Matt Archer #4)
Matt Archer: Bloodlines (Matt Archer #4)
Price: 2.40

5.0 out of 5 stars same high standard as previous books in the series, 5 July 2014
What I like most about this well-plotted series is the character development. They are so thoroughly fleshed out that you expect them to march right off the page. Another great instalment and and exciting read from start to finish.

Stray (MIRA)
Stray (MIRA)
Price: 4.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Page turner, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Stray (MIRA) (Kindle Edition)
I tried this on a whim and I'm glad I did. It was a page turner and intriguing enough that I will try the next in the series.

Gifted (Forest of Dean Wolves)
Gifted (Forest of Dean Wolves)
Price: 1.19

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, 31 May 2014
Great idea for a story but sadly so badly written that I just couldn't get past the first chapter. I should have downloaded a sample before buying the book - the number of exclamations points on the first page would have been enough warning to avoid.

Deathmaker (Dragon Blood Book 2)
Deathmaker (Dragon Blood Book 2)
Price: 1.84

5.0 out of 5 stars She does it again, 31 May 2014
I sincerely hope that Ms Buroker's well of inspiration is deep. Set in the same world and with some of the same characters as her previous books, "Death Maker" is another wonderful adventure. Whilst no-one has ever really come close to Sicarius as my favourite Buroker character, the Death Maker of the title certainly gives chase and perhaps even gets close enough to start breathing down his neck. Well-paced, well-plotted and with a great cast of characters, this is a must for readers who love an enjoyable well-written story.

Blood Rites: (The Dresden Files, Book 6)
Blood Rites: (The Dresden Files, Book 6)
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Each better than the last, 31 May 2014
I avoided reading any of The Dresden Files books having been put off by seeing the appalling TV series with its dreadful miscasting. Thankfully after a few years the memories had faded sufficiently for me to try the first book and I am so glad I did. And I now wonder even more whatever the studio and casting director were thinking! If they were thinking at all. Anyway. Moving On.

The first five books were thoroughly entertaining. Well-written, beautifully crafted plots and a great cast of characters, not least the wizard himself. This one (Blood Rites) is the first for which I have written a detailed review, inspired through the brilliance of certain character developments and revelations. Very clever. I will not post any spoilers but the twists (all of them) were thoroughly satisfying and seamlessly woven into the series. Well done Mr Butcher.

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files Book 2)
Fool Moon (The Dresden Files Book 2)
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars great story, 3 May 2014
I have avoided reading The Dresden Files for many years, put off by the TV series. Thinking enough time had now passed that I might be able to try the books, I started with the first and enjoyed it enough to move on to book two. Fool Moon was an excellent read, great plot and the development of Harry as a character was everything I look for in urban fantasy. I realise that Jim Butcher has a huge (and passionate) following among urban fantasy readers and am glad that I am now able to join their ranks.

Iron Night: A Generation V Novel
Iron Night: A Generation V Novel
Price: 4.02

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 8 April 2014
I loved the first book in this series and to my delight, this one is even better. The world is imaginative - and it's hard to be different when writing about vampires these days - and the characters engaging. The plot works well and integrates nicely with the development of the characters, especially the hero of the story.

The Marked Son (Keepers of Life)
The Marked Son (Keepers of Life)
Price: 3.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff, 17 Mar 2014
Very enjoyable opening story in a series that has the potential to be excellent. Good characters, thoughtful plot, and enough unresolved threads for future twists.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7