Profile for Family Man > Reviews

Content by Family Man

Family Man (Switzerland)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pretty, 21 May 2011
A nice selection of girlie things that went down a treat. Would recommend and will be looking out for something similar for boys.

Uglydoll Ninja Batty Shogun Little Ugly 7 inch Soft Toy Doll
Uglydoll Ninja Batty Shogun Little Ugly 7 inch Soft Toy Doll

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these cute batties, 24 Oct 2010
My son, 8, has been collecting these. He has a whole family including a number of relatives and they all sleep in his arms. Hard to see how he goes to sleep like that, but they're gorgeously cute. Also well-made, cuddly and creative design.

Mattel Mindflex Game
Mattel Mindflex Game

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and something different, 24 Oct 2010
This review is from: Mattel Mindflex Game (Toy)
We got this Mindflex game as something to play with for our kids, who have ADS resp. ADHS. So, a little concentration wouldn't hurt. It says however on the packaging that it is not meant as a therapy instrument, and this is not what we had in mind. So, no worries there - I didn't expect a piece of high-tech bio-feedback equipment for this price from a toy manufacturer ;)
Anyways, the game is surprisingly robust. There are lots of parts, the packaging practical for easy storage.
The game itself - well, I haven't quite worked out if it works by coincidence or if it's really brainwaves making the air blow up. As there are many different types of brainwaves, I'd say it's difficult to really pinpoint how it actually works and what the benefits may be.
I found the headset quite uncomfortable and not easy to position correctly, but the boys don't mind at all.
The main thing is that the boys have great fun with this game. They love setting up the obstacle courses. One has the head-set on and the other "pilots" the ball through the hoops and tunnels, giving directions to the "thinker". Then they take turns.
It's definitely an interesting game and I'm glad we bought it. I can recommend it - my kids are 8 and 12 years old.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2010 3:46 PM GMT

Pippi Longstocking Gift Edition with limited edition prints
Pippi Longstocking Gift Edition with limited edition prints
by Astrid Lindgren

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this now - before it's out of print!, 19 Jan 2009
A beautiful book. And at a sensational price now too. I paid alot more than it is now as it was intended for a Christmas present for my daughter. So you will have a great deal if you can get your hands on a copy now. I must say, I don't mind having paid the higher amount - the book is worth every penny.
If you - like me - are an admirer of Lauren Child's work, you will not be disappointed. Not just the illustrations are fabulous, parts of the text are type-set in the spirally way familiar to the Charlie & Lola books, which was a lovely surprise. The four (limited edition) prints are quite small - the size of the book - but, if framed nicely will make nice decorative art for a little girl's bedroom.
As to the story: well, Pippi's a classic. And I don't think anyone needs telling that Astrid Lindgren's books are essential childhood reading. Timeless stories, brought into a fresh modern look, I can highly recommend this Lauren Child edition.

Rubik's Cube Keyring
Rubik's Cube Keyring
Offered by SeeDeez

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish - decorative purpose only!, 26 Dec 2008
This review is from: Rubik's Cube Keyring (Toy)
i bought this for my 10-year-old son. His 6-year-old brother played with it for 10 minutes and it fell apart. Just a couple of turns in possibly not quite the right position and all the bits fell onto the floor. A disappointment in what I had expected to be a fun and robust - being the original brand - stocking filler. Don't waste your money. Get the original larger one instead. Unless, of course, you just want to dangle it on your keyring in a decorative way.

How to Do Everything and Still Have Time for Yourself
How to Do Everything and Still Have Time for Yourself
by Dawna Walter

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow advice - to the point!, 7 Dec 2004
After first thumbing through this book, I thought it should have been titled "How to Live, Dress and Eat like Dawna" and I still question the title about "still having time for yourself" after having "done everything" that she suggests!
Having actually read it, I realise that the book is a broad source of information on how to tackle all sorts of real-life day-to-day tasks. The idea is not to suddenly go out and buy loads of baskets and wickerwork to tidy everything into (my husband would move out immediately if I did that!), but more a basis from which to work out your own system.
The book is very well organised and beautifully photographed with a clear layout. Some chapters, for example "navigating the superhighway" or "home office" seem to contain obvious information to me. However, I am sure that the chapters I found very useful are obvious to others.
I was disappointed in the author's address to handling children's space - just one page - as this is a big issue in our house! And I don't know why there have to be recipes included in this book (16 pages of them incl. the photos and wine suggestions), as this is certainly not a cook book to be kept in the kitchen. Please leave the entertaining to Nigella and co. and then you'll have your "Feast".
All in all: good, sound advice I intend to act upon immediately.