Profile for helloprograms > Reviews

Content by helloprograms

helloprograms

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Duronic IM540 Ice Cream, Sorbet and Frozen Yoghurt Maker + Free 128 pages best selling recipe book: Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book
Offered by DURONIC
Price: 99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ice cream machine, 19 May 2014
I've been looking around for an ice cream maker for a little while, and I finally got this one a month ago. Me and dairy don't always get on so well together, and I wanted to have a go at making some dairy free stuff myself. My first attempts at making ice cream and frozen yogurt without an ice cream maker weren't so great, so I decided to splash out on a machine. I have to agree with the previous reviewer who said that they didn't expect it to work so well, as it was such a good price. I've been pleasantly surprised. I've used it twice so far, and it's a great machine. (Fingers crossed that it doesn't cut out the next time I use it.) I've only made vanilla ice cream (using two different recipes), but I'm looking forward to trying other flavours and making other frozen treats in the future. The Ben and Jerrys book gave me some good ideas, but, if like me, you and dairy don't get along, there's some great recipes to be found on the internet.

I got the bigger model (1.5L), which is great, as the mixture fluffs up quite a bit towards the end of mixing, and I'm afraid of it overflowing the bowl and going everywhere. I should warn you though that the bowl doesn't fit in an average freezer drawer. If you have a chest freezer, it will end up taking permanent residence in it. Also, the finished product is quite soft, so if you want a firmer ice cream, you'll have to put it in the freezer for a few hours. It will freeze quite hard if you leave it overnight, like I did, so you'll have to leave it out of the freezer for about half an hour before you can eat it. I noticed that a lot of people complained about this (or similar) in the more negative reviews, but I think it's common enough. (If it were possible, I think I'd knock off half a star as the recipes that come with the machine are a bit vague about the actual process of making ice cream. I don't recall if the Ben and Jerrys book went into too much detail.) I think it depends quite a lot on what ingredients you use.

Highly recommended. Just close the kitchen door and turn the telly up to drown out the noise while it's running. :)

Super Simple Origami: 32 New Designs (Dover Origami Papercraft)
Super Simple Origami: 32 New Designs (Dover Origami Papercraft)
by John Montroll
Price: 5.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a beginner, 22 July 2012
It's a great little book, nice for a beginner, but somebody will a little more experience would probably enjoy it too. There aren't too many traditional models in it; variations on traditional models like the sailboat and the helmet or kabuto are marked as such. The projects start simple, but increase in difficulty as you progress through the book. I didn't try the chess pieces or the owl yet, I'm saving those for another day, but out of the rest of them, I'd say that the angelfish is probably the most difficult. His version of the swan was interesting. It was quite complex. I'm not quite decided if it's easier or harder than the traditional model. I guess I'd have to do a few more for comparison, but the end result is just as pretty. Highly recommended.

Origami: All You Need to Know
Origami: All You Need to Know
by Ashley Wood
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for a beginner, 8 July 2012
It's not a bad little book, and though it has a handy rating system, and does contain some models that a beginner can make, it's probably more suitable for a more experienced folder. The diagrams do take a little working out, and sometimes she will condense five or six steps into one. (The rooster and the dog are prime examples.) It does contain some of the expected models, and few nice ones, like the inflatable bunny and the ghost that I haven't seen before, but it is by no means complete. (No fish or yakko-san, for example.) Also, a lot of the models are folded with 12" cardstock or 8" paper, and they don't seem to turn out as nicely if you just use the standard 6" sheet. Quite a few of them require that you cut the paper to size. If you've never folded one before, be aware that the Yoshizawa butterfly uses a square of paper, not a rectangle, as stated in the book. (This is apparent from the diagram, as it must be folded into a waterbomb base initially.) I'm surprised the mistake wasn't caught during the editing process.

Candlemaking the Natural Way
Candlemaking the Natural Way
by Rebecca Ittner
Price: 8.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 26 Dec 2011
There aren't too many books available that cover natural waxes, so I was glad I stumbled across this one. On the first reading, it did seem a bit basic; but then again I do seem to have a ridiculous number of books on candles at this stage, so some of the ideas were a bit old hat. Also, it only covered palm oil, which I'm not sure you can get very easily, beeswax and soy wax. There was nothing about other waxes such as rapeseed, etc. It's very much geared towards an American market; but if you've ever used an American cookbook, it should give you very little trouble.

On the second reading, it improved a little. It's aimed at beginners, which is great. Everything is explained very well, and if you've never made candles before, you'll soon be on your way. Just follow the recipe, pour them out and let them set. There are also some more advanced projects.

I was disappointed that there wasn't more about wicks, but that's common to all or most of the candle books that I've read; and a lot of candle websites give advice about choosing wicks so it's not a great problem. However, if you're just a beginner, starting out, it would be nice if the book covered it in more detail. Saves a lot of guesswork, time and money.

Candle Making (Classic Craft boxes)
Candle Making (Classic Craft boxes)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad little book, 26 Dec 2011
Yes, it's not a bad little book for a beginner. The dust jacket was missing when I got mine. I bought it secondhand. I wasn't sure at first that it was the right book. Had to use the "Look Inside" thingie. It seems to be part of a candlemaking kit/set. Once you crack it open it becomes immediately obvious. Though why it was taken out of the set and sold separately, I really don't know. Maybe it's just that old, and some or all of the parts are gone missing. Nonetheless, I did find it useful. There were some nice ideas in it. Like I said, it's an older book, so there is nothing about soy wax candles or other natural waxes. It just covers the basics, i.e., paraffin wax, stearin, colour, scent, etc. Not too much commentary about wicks; but that's something that's sadly lacking in other candle books that I've bought, so I won't hold it against the writer/publisher.

Seduced By Moonlight: (Merry Gentry 3)
Seduced By Moonlight: (Merry Gentry 3)
by Laurell K Hamilton
Price: 5.58

2.0 out of 5 stars Plot?, 4 Dec 2011
I have to say I wasn't as entertained by this volume, as I was by the previous two. There was a distinct lack of plot. It felt more like filler, something to get out of the way so the author could get on with the story, something she's been doing with the Anita Blake series for how many volumes now? (I won't get into how disappointing the big finale at the end of the latest one was. Rather foolishly, I kept the faith, hoping that things would get better.) It doesn't bode well for the rest of the series. I didn't go to her website to get the preview of the next novel, as I had done for the previous two. I think that I'll just wait for volume four to arrive. (I ordered them around the same time.)

I used to be impressed that she at least did some rudimentary research, she even includes a bibliography with this one, unlike many other authors I could mention, but her grasp of, and complete lack of understanding of Irish and British history infuriated and alarmed me (to a degree). Yes, I realise that this is fantasy, and that Ms Hamilton writes alternative histories, but while using World War II as writing fodder is so overdone that nobody seems to notice or care how cheap and nasty it is anymore, this is really beyond the pale. I am really disappointed with this aspect of the novel.

The verdict? Do what I did, get it secondhand or go to your local library and get it. It's not worth paying full price for a copy.

Eat, Pray, Love [DVD] [2011]
Eat, Pray, Love [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ James Franco
Price: 3.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the book, 14 Nov 2011
This review is from: Eat, Pray, Love [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Having read the book and watched the film, I've got to say that I prefer the film. I think that whole segments (of the book) are pure fantasy, and this probably goes for the film too, but so long you don't take it too seriously, then it makes for a good, highly self-indulgent, girlie read/watch on a lazy Sunday or a Saturday afternoon. Julia Roberts just glows in this role, to paraphrase the book title, as the woman in search of everything, and James Franco and Javier Bardem just sizzle on screen. I particularly like the section in Italy. (I think it was the pizza that sold me on it.) It's like the modern American take on so many of those nineteenth century novels set in Italy. I highly recommend it.

If it gets four stars, it's because I wasn't too enamoured of her time in Bali, despite the gorgeous setting. Don't ask me why. It was just... meh!

PHP for the Web: Visual QuickStart Guide (Visual QuickStart Guides)
PHP for the Web: Visual QuickStart Guide (Visual QuickStart Guides)
by Larry Ullman
Price: 19.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to PHP, 20 Nov 2010
I resisted learning PHP for a long time. I stuck solidly to HTML and CSS when building my own webpages, though I did use third-party PHP-based software on my site. One of the scripts was very buggy and not very secure, so I was convinced that not only was PHP hard to learn, it was fully of security holes. I've since revised my opinion.

Before I bought this book, I bought a couple of other books, but they were not as easy to follow as this one. This book is geared towards people who have little or no experience of programming. (You should be familiar with HTML and CSS. I would not attempt to use this book if you don't have a handle on those.) The scripts are very practical and useful, and I can see myself using them on my site in the future. I highly recommend it.

The reason I gave this book four stars, and not five, is that the section at the end about regular expressions isn't really that useful. He does not cover PCRE; POSIX is deprecated as of PHP 5.3.0. (Current version is 5.3.3) I was really disappointed with that, as it's hard to find good tutorials online.

HTML 4 for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides)
HTML 4 for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides)
by Elizabeth Castro

2.0 out of 5 stars Outdated, 30 Sep 2010
This book is grossly outdated. It was published in 1999, and HTML (and the world) has moved on a lot since then. This is the fourth edition of this book, not a guide to HTML 4 as the link suggests. (Don't make the same mistake I did!) Many of the tags in the book are deprecated, and have been for a long time. While that might be of historical interest to some, if you're looking for an up-to-date HTML manual, this is not the book for you.

JavaScript: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
JavaScript: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
by David Sawyer McFarland

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected., 14 July 2010
I wouldn't recommend this book to an absolute beginner in JavaScript (like me). I think it's more suited to an intermediate programmer who understands JavaScript and wants to learn how to write programs using JQuery, not a person who wants to learn how to write their own programs from scratch.

I bought this book, because I own a copy of the very excellent CSS: The Missing Manual. Because of that book, I finally cracked things like Selectors and Floats, and found solutions to other nagging little problems, things I couldn't find on the Internet. (Perhaps I wasn't looking in the right places? I don't know.) I'd struggled with JavaScript in the past and given it up as a bad job, but lately, I decided to take another run at it, and I was hoping this manual could do for my JavaScript what the other manual did for my understanding of CSS. I'm afraid was disappointed on that score. I'm just as confused as ever!

The reason I gave the book three stars is because the basics are explained well enough, even if the exercises that follow aren't that great. Once he introduces JQuery, that becomes the focus of the book, and he shows you the great things that are possible using it, and I realise that for a lot of people that would be plus, but like I said before, I'm a beginner interested in learning good basic JavaScript. I'm not that interested in JQuery at the moment.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2011 1:49 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3