Profile for MargaretGee > Reviews

The Complete Tightwad Gazette
The Complete Tightwad Gazette
by Amy Dacyczyn

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss the point!, 13 Dec 2006
I have read a lot of the reviews both here and on the US site and I find a lot of the people writing negative reviews have missed the point.

It does say in the book that its not meant to be the be all and end all, its to give you ideas and imspiration into figuring out how you can cut back and save money. You have decide what works for you.

I don't think that the author looks down her nose at people who live a different lifestyle to her, you need to figure out what your goals are and where you can cut back in order to achieve those. She mentions someone else who does not want kids or a big house but does want to eat out and travel, they are frugal in different ways, neother is right or wrong its your life and your goals. The only thing that she thinks everyone should do no matter what their income is reduce the amount of waste going to landfill, and I don't think anyone could disagree with this.

I also don't think that the book is too extreme, anyone who says that it is has probebly never been in extreme circumstances themselves. No where in the book does it say you must do everything and that this is the only right way but it does state that the information needs to be there for people who are in extreme circumstances.

Yes its her book and its her opinions, so don't let any ideas or statements in the book that you don't agree with detract from what really is a great resource.

Using ideas from this book I have slashed costs on food, household goods, clothing, utility bills and many more. Rather than being deprived i've feel great due to a good diet of homemade seasonal food, I've lost weight, and look better than ever. I also have much nicer clothes due to careful selection from e-bay, carboot and charity shops, its not second hand though - its vintage dahhling!

Most importantly i'm dragging myself out of debt at a faster rate than I ever thought possible.