ARRAY(0xb60f477c)

Profile for Simon Batchelor > Reviews

Content by Simon Batchelor

Simon Batchelor "Batch" (UK)

A Cure for Solitude
A Cure for Solitude
Price: 1.53

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 11 May 2013
Firstly a quick declaration; I knew Mr Whiteman a fairly long time ago. We played football together for a season. I bought this book for this reason, and with the expectation of leaving a sarcastic review after finishing it. Something like stating his book writing was on par with his football playing, and that isn't a compliment :)

However from the first page of the book it was obvious that whatever I though was wrong. The author's writing style makes for effortless reading, is well constructed and the descriptive text makes each page a pleasure to read. It held that quality that made me want to read more.

But well written text is pointless unless the story it is portraying captivates you (me). And it did. I don't want to give too much of the storyline away for obvious reasons. But the story is set in Prague and centres around two characters, the 'lost' Alex and Dominik, a somewhat shady character who tries to draw Alex into his particular branch of criminal activity.

I found the story not only an interesting one, but also well paced with a satisfying conclusion. As I said before, I wanted to read more. I was entertained. That is my kind of book!

I bought the Kindle issue for a bargain price, but there is one small thing that perhaps could be improved next time. The text was rather large. That's it. That's the total of my criticism. How disappointing!

And so I now look forward to the next book from David, and this time I'll be buying not because he's an old acquaintance, but because I am genuinely looking forward to reading it!

The Shadow of Death (Parish & Richards 4)
The Shadow of Death (Parish & Richards 4)
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Weakest so far, but still good!, 30 Nov 2011
I loved the first three books in the Parish & Richards series but personally I found this one slightly disappointing (3 1/2 stars would be more accurate). Its difficult to give my main gripe with this book without giving away a main plot point, so I'm going to keep it cryptic. This issue I had is that upon returning to work, Parish (and others) take certain actions regarding his first case back. Without going into too much detail I found it annoyingly unbelievable that his investigation was run from the location it was after a five minute meeting with a new character. Normally this kind of thing doesn't normally bother me, and it may not bother you, but I spent large portions of the book distracted thinking 'why did he do that, he's supposed to be intelligent'? If this part of the review sounds confusing then read the first two chapters and it'll all make sense :)

Its not all bad though. The trademark Parish and Richards traits of being an easy read story is here, and one that keeps you turning the pages at that (or whatever the Kindle equivalent of a page is!). I don't mind the sometimes repetitive "You're so mean Sir" and other catchphrases throughout the book, people can be like that can't they? The story arch of 'Who is Jed Parish?' continues in this instalment. Does he find the truth? You'll have to buy the book to find out. And at this price why not, despite the flaws its a very entertaining read. I'll certainly be buying the next instalment.

The Raw Shark Texts
The Raw Shark Texts
by Steven Hall
Price: 6.79

2.0 out of 5 stars Tough going...little reward, 19 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Raw Shark Texts (Paperback)
Maybe I'm not 'clever enough' to get 'it'. Maybe I interpreted it exactly as the author intended.

Either way my opinion is this book is pretentious, hard going, and not even very rewarding when you do reach the end. And don't get me started on the Jaws ending. The author is gonna need a bigger conceptual boat for his next novel.

Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross
Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars Mini Marvel, 16 Dec 2008
This review is from: Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross
My wife said she wanted "20 inches of pure pleasure" for Christmas. This gift ticks all the boxes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2014 5:47 AM GMT

Nintendo Wii Console (Includes Wii Sports)
Nintendo Wii Console (Includes Wii Sports)
Offered by DOOGLE
Price: 194.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Wii-eally Good!, 6 Feb 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
A short review as there are already one or two here!

What Nintendo has done is produce a game console that even my whole family will play. Which means more game time for me - something that wouldn't happen with any other console. Horses for courses I guess.

- If you want a serous games machine, or a multimedia machine, or a HD player, - get a PS3, the PS3 is better value money.

- if you want a machine that is great fun for all the family or in a group, get a Wii. Even my 3 1/2 year old son can use it (191 on bowling, not bad).

Battlestar Galactica: Season 1 [DVD]
Battlestar Galactica: Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edward James Olmos
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.
Price: 22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply Superb, 14 Feb 2006
How I mocked when I heard. A remake of Galactica involving human looking cylons and a female Starbuck. It could never work. I watched it to laugh and point at it.
But I was shocked. It does work, very well in fact. I am glad I tuned in or I'd have missed the best new show of its type.
The premis is the same as the original. Galactica is leading a rg-tag fleet of survivors from Caprica to a mythical new home, Earth. The main characers have the same names. But gone is the 70s cheese that we all love. In it's place a very well written, well thought out and gritty space set drama that builds on the characters and relationships between them. Sounds dull, but is actually not at all. There is still a load of "toaster" bashing in the mix!
Even if you are a purist that knows every line of dialogue from every episode of the original, you should give this a chance.
In conclusion I love the original, I love the new series, but they are very different.

Vosonic X'S Drive 2, Portable Storage Device 20GB
Vosonic X'S Drive 2, Portable Storage Device 20GB

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat porotable hard disk/media card upgrade alternative.., 28 Oct 2003
I was going on holiday and needed more storage space for my digital Ixus 400 camera. I came to the conclusion I had two choices - buy a much larger flash card or archieve off my 256Mb flash card onto CD-R at the end of each day. Buying a new laptop for the latter option was a little expensive and drastic.....until I came across the Vosonic X'S Drive 2.
The concept and useage of the device is very simple. The drive has an LCD status display, an on/off button and a copy button. You plug your digital media into the drive, turn it on, and press the copy button. The Xs Drive simply copies the entire contents of the media card onto it's internal hard disk into a new uniquely numbered folder. For example Compact Flash cards are stored in a folder CF0001, CF0002, etc. My 256Mb card took a couple of minutes to copy to the hard disk.
The digital media card is left unaltered so you will have to manually delete the cards contents using you camera (or whatever).
Obviously the Xs drive can be used simply as a portable hard disk as well, and also as a media card reader - you can see the media card (as a temporary drive) directly without the need to copy the contents onto the drives Hdd (via USB).
Retrieving the information for the Hdd is very simple too. The drive has a USB 2.0 port (USB 1 compatible). Under XP you simply connect the drive to a PC and XP takes care of everything. Under Windows 98/2000 there is a small driver (provided) that needs installing before use. No great hardship and it works just fine on my 98 machine. The hard disk drive and all media slots appear as temporary drives under file manager, though working out which temp drive is which takes a few seconds!
I can't recommend this product enough. In conclusion the drive is an excellent alternative to buying digital media if you already have enough space on a card for a days photography (etc), although this isn't the only use for this drive! The drive itself is small, neatly fits into the carry case (but without room for the power adapter brick) and can easily be packed into a flight bag/rucksack. Battery life is fine for copying but I would take the multi voltage power brick as well just in case you need to recharge the internal lithium ions. The only downside is that at 190GBP it may be a tad pricey for some. I have to be honest and say that I got mine for nearly half this price (105) in HK, which it is a bargain when compared to a 70 1/2 gig CF card. Please take this into account when reading my review.