Profile for Tony Jackson > Reviews

Tony Jackson

Fly London Wex, Men's Boots, Brown (Dk Brown) 9 UK
Fly London Wex, Men's Boots, Brown (Dk Brown) 9 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased with these shoes, 9 Nov. 2015
Really pleased with these shoes, beautifully made, and fit me so well. More than anything though, I'm dead chuffed with the fantastic customer service I received. I'd like to thank whoever was responsible for prompt and response to my issue. I was so surprised it made my day, Many thanks. Great product, fantastic service.

Fifty Snacks of Maize
Fifty Snacks of Maize

3.0 out of 5 stars I love reading, mostly on my morning and evening commute ..., 31 July 2015
I love reading, mostly on my morning and evening commute to and from my place of work. However, I'm not one for venturing outside of my comfort zone very often. So this was a risk for me. I found myself in need of some light relief after reading so many books of a similar genre when this popped up on my radar. The title struck me as amusing, an obvious play on a more familiar and successful title. I've not read Fifty Shades of Grey. I've not seen the film.
This sounded like it might be funny. Something to make me smile. I was not disappointed. Let me say from the off, it’s ridiculous, fantastical, outrageous, bizarre and sometimes uncomfortable. However, beneath all the obvious erotically themed humour lies some human truth. The story tackles the fundamental issues that plague many relationships around the world, chief amongst them, the need to keep it fresh, exciting and relevant. In an age where human relationships are being digitised and marketed to a global audience this tale asks us some deep and disturbing questions.

The main protagonist has issues, there’s no doubting that. Reading between the lines I wonder though, is the author venting their own personal concerns? Is this short story a way of exploring the authors own inner desires, darkness, demons? Are the snacks a mere metaphor for some other, less “savoury” sexual fantasy? This is not the story of some philandering sex obsessed deviant, but the story of lost loving soul looking for the right path to take him home to his love.
The book made me smile and on occasion I found myself suppressing a laugh (not wanting to garner attention on the train). There were also times that made me feel a little self-conscious, As though just by looking at me the other passengers would know I was reading something “naughty”.
If I was to have one complaint it would be that the book is too short, the story needs to explore the relationship in more depth, whilst maintaining the humour of course, I wanted more history, more back story, more funnies.
The author keeps a good pace, it’s well written and coherent, it all makes sense and is logical, albeit a crazy kind of logic. You have to look deeper than the superficial subject matter and you’ll find a story that’s rich in warmth, hope, and of course, crisps.

PC Trading® High Speed Version 4 Mini USB Bluetooth Dongle Adapter - Compatible With Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (32-Bit + 64-Bit), Windows 8 (32-Bit + 64-Bit)
Offered by PC Trading

1.0 out of 5 stars Confused, 21 Feb. 2013
Can anyone offer any advice. First up, mine didn't come with a driver CD. Secondly it failed to install correctly on my PC, failing with error code 43.
I'm using windows 7, the listing clearly states it's compatible with my operating system.
Any help would be appreciated.

LUPO Universal USB Car Charger for Apple iPhone 6 6S Plus 5S 5G 4G 4S iPad iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy S4 S5, Android Tablets - BLACK

1.0 out of 5 stars False advertising?, 9 Sept. 2011
I'm a little confused, because this was advertised as compatible with the iphone4, and yet when I tried to use it, my phone displayed a message telling that the device was not designed to charge my iphone4. I was a little surprised, so I tried a different cable, clutching at straws a little. Same result. Then I thought it worth plugging in an iphone 3g, to see if that worked. And sure enough it did! So what's going on? Because if it's not compatible with the iphone4 then surely there is some law being broken? Do trading standards not have rules about this sort of thing?

Mech 2: The Savant (Imperium series)
Mech 2: The Savant (Imperium series)

4.0 out of 5 stars More please!, 24 Jan. 2011
Having read the first book (and really enjoyed it) I was eager to read the follow up. The sequel didn't disappoint. The story feels to progress in a logical manner and is exciting and tense. New character introductions were welcome and helped expand the experience, as did the new Skaintz type. The Skaintz having to adapt to different environmental conditions and creation methods, coupled with a different leader type was great and helped to bring a fresh feel to what could have been just a repeat of the first book.

A quick comment about the aliens, although the "hive" scenario has been explored many times in sci-fi literature I found the approach of making them organised in a sentient manner to be most welcome, having an insight into their insecurities was fascinating and engaging, so often "aliens" of this type are nothing more than mindless killing machines hell bent on destruction with no apparent motivations other than it being some kind of genetically driven rage. It was intriguing and scary to read about "monsters" who made concious and weighted decisions about invading and another species for there own ends.

Although I did enjoy reading (and would love another in the series), I can't help feeling that at times, there were missing details, as though I were reading an abridged version (I would also say the first one made me feel the same way). I'm torn by the feeling as I don't think it's a bad thing for the reader to be left to fill in some of the blanks, creating there own vision of what has gone on, whilst the reader has been elsewhere. At times it felt more like a film experience in that respect.
I guess it leaves me wanting more!

One more thing, the title of this series. Is it just me, or was I foolish to expect it to be more about Mechs than it is? Or have I just missed the point? The Mechs seem very much like supporting cast to the story rather than the focus of it, from which the title would have lead me to believe they would be. Or will they become more prominent as the series moves on?

All that said I really did enjoy the book, and as I said previously, would love another one. Bring it on!