Profile for C. H. > Reviews

Content by C. H.

C. H. "Proustian mess" (Switzerland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Two Treasures: Buddhist Teachings on Awakening to True Happiness
Two Treasures: Buddhist Teachings on Awakening to True Happiness
by Thich Nhat Hanh

5.0 out of 5 stars They are "The sutra on the eight realizations of the great beings, " and "The discourse on happiness, 6 Sept. 2014
The book contains two sutras which according to Thich Nhat Hanh, any Buddhist should read and meditate on every day.
They are "The sutra on the eight realizations of the great beings," and "The discourse on happiness," (a famous sutra from the Sutta-Nipata).
These two treasures come in an ideal format, since this tiny volume can easily be slipped into a handbag or even jean pocket, to beguile a bus ride or a long wait at the dentist's.
Both make a complete course on Buddhism in a few drops, and Thich Nhat Hanh presents the material with a thorough analysis, and with tips for everyday meditation.
Literally, most enlightening reading.

Kirkland Signature Ito En Matcha Blend (Green Tea), 100% Japanese Green Tea Leaves, 100 Tea Bags
Offered by POP IT IN THE BASKET

5.0 out of 5 stars It has a very fine taste, the green is emerald and it brews ..., 6 Sept. 2014
As an incurable matcha green-tea junkie, I'm always on the lookout for new varieties, and very mindful of a reasonable price-quality ratio.
I find Kirkland's Matcha Blend very up my alley.
It has a very fine taste, the green is emerald and it brews in seconds, as stated.
I can only deplore that it is not organic, since I very much prefer organic varieties, but other than that, after drinking it for several days, I find it highly recommendable.

Path to Good Fortune: The Meng
Path to Good Fortune: The Meng
by Lily Chung

5.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Four Pillars, 12 Feb. 2014
There are many books out there on the subject of Four Pillars astrology, Bazi or Paht Chee, you name it... same subject, different names.
Lily Chung's was probably the first of its kind to be published in English and I still find it very clear and complete in itself.
She uses her own personal language to describe the different stems and branches, which can be confusing at first, but you get the hang of it in the end.
I spotted a mistake recently in the branch of the month of December 2013. It should have read Ox instead of Boar. It can be serious for a person without prior knowledge or who can't contrast the info with a Thousand Year Calendar. Still, I like her style and her book makes the subject easy to grasp.
Two of her other books, " The truth of Ups and Downs" and "Four Pillars of Destiny" (the most recent) help round up the information, and if you really like the subject, you can't do without a good Thousand Year Calendar. To the extent of my knowledge, Joey Yap's is the only one available in English.
Lily Chung provides a Thousand Year Calendar of sorts at the end of her book till the year 2030, but Joey Yap's is more complete.
Does the book really help you to attain good fortune? Well, if you believe in astrology, you could learn a lot about yourself, your environment and the rules of change and reversals of fortune. The rest is up to you!

Lifeplan Dietary Fibre 440mg 100 Tablets
Lifeplan Dietary Fibre 440mg 100 Tablets
Offered by Superfooduk

1.0 out of 5 stars Pure powder!, 28 Aug. 2012
The product is supposed to consist of 100 tablets. When I got my parcel there were about ten tablets in an awful mess of powder. Do tablets break so easily during the shipping?

Yoga 4 Fertility [DVD] [NTSC]
Yoga 4 Fertility [DVD] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Yoga 4 Fertility

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked for me!, 8 July 2012
I already have a child, but somehow, when embarking on conceiving our second, I went through two frustrating miscarriages and a molar pregnancy. I chilled out for a year, preparing my body with a fertility diet (read the books "The fertility Diet" and "The Fertility Plan"), listened to self-hypnosis cds to destress, and alternated this Yoga dvd with others of Kundalini Yoga (mostly Ravianna) and Yin Yoga (Sarah Powers). But this one is the one I used the most because there were plenty of stretches, was very relaxing and the poses are recommended on many books as good for fertility. The result? After this sabbatical year, I got pregnant on second attempt! With a healthy and strong baby (I'm well into the fifth month). I won't say it was just this DVD but it definitely added to the result.
This dvd is very informative, very relaxing and the level is advanced beginner to intermediate.

The Essential Rose Elliot - The Supreme Vegetarian Cookbook
The Essential Rose Elliot - The Supreme Vegetarian Cookbook
by Rose Elliot

3.0 out of 5 stars Abridged version of one of her best books!!, 25 Jun. 2012
First of all, I love Rose Elliot. I love the simplicity of her recipes, the good flavour, the easy preparation and the softness on my budget. I also love the fact that you learn so much from her anecdotes and after reading a couple of her books you feel like she's an old friend.
I agree with other reviewers that this is one of her best books. Problem is, it is an abridged, colourless version of her book "Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Cookery," which in itself is a monument to good taste and along with her cookbook, a bible of vegetarian cuisine. The original book is hardcover and lavishly illustrated, especially the different types of vegetables, pulses, pasta, nuts, rice, and flours, with descriptions on cooking options and nutritional values. Many recipes are illustrated, as well as different cooking techniques (like how to prepare a nut roast and fold the pastry, peel a tomato, lining a baking tin, etc). And there are illustrated lists of menus for different occasions, like summer parties or Christmas.
The book is worth ten stars but this bland edition is only three because they left out the best of the original.

the gospel of buddha
the gospel of buddha
by paul carus

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful buddhist reading, 29 Mar. 2011
This review is from: the gospel of buddha (Paperback)
Here is a quaint, lovely volume of Buddhist wisdom. I would not say it's the best place for the non-buddhist layman to start because it has a certain religious understone that some people could find off-putting, but for the Buddhist person this could prove to be an invaluable tool to deepen their knowledge of the Buddha and his teachings. It reminds me of Goddard's "A Buddhist Bible," but it is not a literal transcription of sacred texts as Goddard's and makes easier reading.
Encompassed in lesss than three hundred pages you will find a good descritioon of the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, the most relevant sacred texts (from both Pali and Chinese sources) and parables of the Buddha.
The language is rather dated but taking into account that the book is over hundred years old (I have the 1904 version, and the original was written in 1894), the effort is noteworthy.
Paul Carus is well-versed in his subject and his work transpires love and respect for Buddhism. Nowadays we have Walpola Rahula, Thich Nhat Hanh and Jack Kornfield to render Buddhism more accesible to the Western mind, but this volume will make a nice addtion to your buddhist library.
It is a constant in my handbag and makes enlightening reading in bus rides, waiting rooms, long queues and over a cup of coffee (sorry, green tea) when I can carve some time to myself.

A Chakra Meditation
A Chakra Meditation
by Glenn Harrold
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing and empowering, 15 Mar. 2011
This review is from: A Chakra Meditation (Audio CD)
This has to be the best guided meditation cd available on the subject of chakras. Glenn Harrold is an excellent hypnotherapist: his voice is soothing and relaxing and the information on the chakras is very thorough and accesible, even for newbies on the subject.
There are two guided meditations: one long (about 45 minutes) and a shorter version of 25 minutes for those days when you're short on time. Harrold provides information on the colour of each chakra, the part of the body influenced by it, the musical note and affirmations which help balance that particular chakra.
Especially the longer meditation is so clear you can easily visualize it in your head. Personally, I find that the addition of crystals makes the session more effective.
The affirmations are very empowering, an instant self-esteem booster. You're supposed to repeat them out loud, but I prefer to go over them silently in order not to break the relaxing atmosphere created by the meditation.
I also like the work of percussionist Layne Redmont. She has several cds and a very instructive tiny book with cd called "Chakra meditation" (also available through Amazon), but for short, effective meditations, Glenn Harrold's cd is my favourite.

Chakra Clearing: A Morning and Evening Meditation to Awaken Your Spiritual Power
by Doreen Virtue PhD
Edition: Audio CD

1.0 out of 5 stars Angels and chakras equal rip-off!, 15 Mar. 2011
This has to be the worst product ever on chakras I've had the chance to try. And believe me, I'm an avid reseacher on the subject, so I own most of the books and cds available on Amazon.
The music is trite and corny, the information on the chakras can't even be labelled as basic and the meditations don't even begin to tickle my chakras.
What I dislike the most is her interspersing comments on angels...something like having Raphael and Michael see to this or that...
What do angels have to do with chakras???
There's just one word to describe this cd and it's rip-off. I'm so sorry I can't give this cd no stars! Even one is a luxury for such an unprofessional meditation cd.
For excellent meditations on chakras, please refer to Glenn Harrold's cd on the subject or anything by Layne Redmont.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2012 5:51 PM GMT

Flexibility Yoga [DVD] [NTSC]
Flexibility Yoga [DVD] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Patricia Walden
Offered by * The Game Monkey *

4.0 out of 5 stars Ouch!!, 15 Mar. 2011
This dvd is one of my latest acquisitions, yet one of those I use most often because it really gives you a deep overall stretching, posture control and toning at a really slow pace.
Patricia Walden is an excellent teacher. She flows slowly into and out of postures and you get to hold each stretch for (sometimes an insanely) long time, which minimises the risk of injury and allows you to make faster progress in your range of motion. Walden never fails to provide alternative postures with chairs, walls and blocks for the less flexible.
There are two routines of about 30 minutes each, one focusing on backwards bends, the other with mostly forward bends, plus an introductory vinyasa with many of the asanas from the first session. Despite the deceptively easy slow pace of the routines, they're really tough. You won't pant or break into a sweat, but your body will burn the following day. I think people with a good flexibility level will make the most of these routines, yet I don't agree with some American reviewers who claim that you should forget this dvd if you're not superflexible. Yoga is very progressive and Walden always encourages you to work at your own level. Besides, the pace of the workouts is really slow, so you're likely to make progress in no time. I had quit yoga for five years upon getting pregnant with my son and have resumed my practice only three months ago. I can proudly say that I have passed from devastatingly rusty to intermediate-advanced, and progressing rapidly.
Apart from the slow, yin pace of these routines, what I also love about this dvd is that even though my body is stretched to the top of its bent, my lower back never aches afterwards as it does with other methods. Also, it's an instant posture improver. The days I work with it, my alignment is perfect all day and I don't feel like slouching.
Why only four stars? Because at the end of the first routine, all of a sudden, Patricia Walden remembers that in Yoga "sometimes it's important to repeat postures" (I'm quoting). I agree. After all, that's the principle in Bikram, by far my favourite yoga system (along with Kundalini, of course), with excellent results. But here, the oscar of repetitions goes to Upward Bow (or Wheel pose, to others), not only twice but five times!!! I know this asana has many benefits, but why repeat it five times beats me stupid. Also, before proceeding to the five excruciating repetitions, Walden goes into a lengthy demonstration for beginners on how to do the posture with blocks, with the wall, with heels lifted, with heels on the floor... In my humble opinion, instead of all this, she could have thrown in a couple more asanas. These five to ten final minutes absolutely mar what otherwise is a perfectly balanced relaxing yoga routine for flexibility. Except for that, this dvd is really excellent.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3