Profile for A. Williams > Reviews

Content by A. Williams

A. Williams "worldtrekker" (Cumbria UK)

Acctim CK3357 Mini Flip LCD Alarm Clock, Plastic, Silver
Acctim CK3357 Mini Flip LCD Alarm Clock, Plastic, Silver
Offered by Top Brand Discounts 4 u

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible clock, 11 Aug. 2012
I've got through a lot of travel alarm clocks in my time, but this was one of the worst. Very cheap and poor quality plastic, the slide button for setting time, alarm etc is really sloppy, so you can't be sure it's in the right place, and eventually after about a month it stopped working altogether. The cover broke off it pretty quickly, and the other buttons are set so far into the body that it's not easy to press them with any certainty, (worse if you have big fingers) even the snooze button, so no use at all when you're half asleep. Don't waste your money.

Acctim 14243 Travelmate Alarm Clock, Black
Acctim 14243 Travelmate Alarm Clock, Black
Offered by home_essentials

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little clock, 10 Aug. 2012
I've got through loads of travel alarms clocks over the years, by wearing them out, sitting on them by mistake etc, and some of them are just such poor quality the controls stop working after a few months. But this one is probably one of the best I've had.

It's an absolute piece of cake to set up (if you've ever had a digital clock before you won't need the instructions at all). The clever way it folds up means I probably won't break it so quickly and it's much more stable and less likely to end up on the floor. The controls are really easy to use as well - no groping in the dark trying to work out which is the snooze button or on/off button and hitting the wrong one by mistake, and they click into place rather than vaguely sliding around in the slot. Ok, it's lightweight plastic, but it's no worse, and probably a bit better, than many of the other travel clocks I've had.

The back light, like every other travel clock I've ever had, is a waste of time, so I don't know why they bother putting them on, but as I never use it anyway it's not an issue for me.

My only real criticism is it isn't very loud, which if you're a heavy sleeper or live in a noisy house, might be a problem, and is the only reason I've given it 4 stars. But as I live in a reasonably quiet area and loud alarms give me a heart attack first thing, this one's ideal for me. Very pleased with this clock. Came really promptly and well packaged as well.

Nikon COOLPIX S8200 Compact Digital Camera - Silver (16.1MP, 14x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Pix so good, I can't believe I took them, 10 Aug. 2012
I finally worn out my poor Canon Powershot SX200 (I'm not a photographer but I take up to 200-300 pix a week as part of my work, plus nature photos at weekends, so I need something I can stuff into pockets, backpacks, handbags and briefcases). Convinced by the reviews on this site, I decided to give the S8200 a go.

I've given it 4 stars rather than 5 because the first one I received locked up when on full optical zoom - the entire camera froze, and the only way I could release it was to take the battery out. Nikon help line were great, and Amazon despatched the replacement before I'd managed to put the old one in the post to them! Then, the second one did it as well! But it's such a great camera, I decided to persevere, and with Nikon's help we managed to fix it by resetting the factory settings, and it's been fine ever since.

I don't much like Nikon's software for downloading and viewing - it's a cluttered screen and far more complicated to download than it needs to be, so I just use my old Canon software for that, but the Nikon software is very much better for editing.

But as for the camera itself, all I can do is echo some of the other reviews. The photos I've had from it so far are just stunning - I can't believe it was me that took them! I tested it out at a zoo, and even photos taken zoomed through grubby glass were awesome - it focused past the muck really well! The clarity and colour are amazing, and even I've found the settings and menus easy to work through. The macro shots are incredibly clear as well.

I'm not techie enough to go into the fine details of what the camera can do, and other reviewers have covered that really well, so read their comments and buy this camera. Despite the false start, this is the best compact camera I've owned, and I really do ask a lot of them.

Don't take too much notice of some people's comments about the flash popping up where you hold it. I've not had a problem with it. I guess it just depends on how much you need to grab your camera, but it's so light I often use it one handed anyway.

But do get a spare battery - it gets through them really quickly when reviewing on the monitor. The downloading using the USB cable is a bit hit and miss as well, so best get a card reader for that.

So, a great camera, despite a false start, and I'm glad I persevered with it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2012 4:35 PM GMT

Gigaset C300A Trio DECT Cordless Phone Set with Answer Machine
Gigaset C300A Trio DECT Cordless Phone Set with Answer Machine

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of kit, 14 Oct. 2011
Having worn out many cordless phones and been frustrated that each replacement is far worse than the last, I have finally found one that actually builds on the successes of its predecessors. Easy to set up (do read the instructions, but they're written by real humans rather than techno-geeks, and well indexed) and lots of really useful features even for someone who hates gimmicks and gadgets. Like the fact that you can switch the ringer off, increase earpiece volume, set it for alarm calls, and transfer the address book between handsets with just a few clicks. Good audio, although the numerous announcements on the answerphone are a bit irritating. But still, the best phone I've had by far. This has made me Very Happy. Bought this one for home but may now have to buy one for my office as well, even though the current phone hasn't died yet.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2014 6:10 PM GMT

Philips CD2454S/05 DECT Phone with Digital Answerphone, Digital Voice Clarity and 4 Handsets

1.0 out of 5 stars This phone is pants, 26 Oct. 2010
I have had many cordless answerphones over the years and this is undoubtedly the worst one I've had. I've hated it from Day 1. The base unit hisses all the time, programming/operating it is far from intuitive and I've had to refer to the instruction book constantly, and it made everyone on the other end of the line sound like they had a thick pair of woolly socks over the mouthpiece, so I have to get them to repeat everything, so they all think I'm going deaf. Now the batteries have died on two out of the three handsets, and I'm loathe to throw good money after bad, so will use this as an excuse to replace the whole thing with a better product. I had hoped to go by the reviews on this site to help me choose another, but it worries me that 2 people gave this product such a high rating. The worst kit I've bought in years.

PowerPlanet Sony NP-FH30, NP-FH40, NP-FH50, NP-FH60, NP-FH70, NP-FH100 Fast Battery Travel (UK, Europe, USA Mains/Car) Charger for SONY Handycam DCR-DVD406, DCR-DVD408, DCR-DVD410, DCR-DVD450, DCR-DVD506, DCR-DVD508, DCR-DVD510, DCR-DVD608, DCR-DVD610
Offered by PowerPlanet

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 5 Nov. 2009
Arrived quickly, nice and light and compact (so suitable for carting around on a trekking holiday) and charged up my Sony batteries no problems. And MUCH cheaper than Sony's own version priced at around £45! Shame on you Sony.

Keepsakes
Keepsakes

4.0 out of 5 stars lyrical poet, 11 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Keepsakes (Audio CD)
I first heard of Sam Carter on Radio 2 a few weeks ago, and had to buy the album. It's just beautiful, one of my favourite purchases this year. The lyrics are keenly observed and deeply moving, at times quite funny, but very much a modern poet, a man of our times. Coupled with his stunning acoustic guitar and subtle accompaniments, and a great singing voice, a really accomplished album which I feel sure I will soon know word for word, note for note. Looking forward to his next release already.

Sony DCRSR37ES Handycam Camcorder With Built-In 60GB HDD (45hrs)
Sony DCRSR37ES Handycam Camcorder With Built-In 60GB HDD (45hrs)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little camcorder, 18 Aug. 2009
After a lot of on-line research I settled on this one to take on trekking holidays abroad, and this one came out tops. It's the first one I've ever used and so easy I haven't needed to read the instructions yet, although I probably ought to to make best use of it. The picture quality is great, even in poor light indoors. The zoom is also good, and the focal range up close is amazing. It's very neat, compact and lightweight, almost small enough to stuff into your jacket pocket, but still has the benefit of hard drive memory.

Criticisms? Like nearly all digicams, the monitor is poor in bright daylight so framing shots can sometimes be a bit hit and miss. (I mourn the loss of viewfinders for the sake of weight reduction.) The case is far too big for stuffing in backpacks, but after much searching I still haven't found a smaller one that fits.

The battery is recharged by plugging the whole camcorder into the mains, which will be a problem in remote areas when giving the lodge owner the batteries to recharge behind the counter (I'd trust them with a charger, but not the whole camera!) I'm looking into a stand alone charger, but this will be another additional cost. I will also be looking into a bigger battery, but these add to the bulk and weight.

Finally, DO NOT BUY THE MEMORY CARD RECOMMENDED ON THIS SITE in the "people who bought this also bought...." to go with this camera. IT DOESN'T FIT, which we only found out after unwrapping it and trying to put it in. It is therefore a complete waste of £10.99! The correct memory card (a pro duo memory stick I think) is about £45.00, but if you're on a long trip, worth the extra peace of mind.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2009 4:30 PM GMT