Profile for Loolsi > Reviews

The Girl in the Tangerine Scarf: A Novel
The Girl in the Tangerine Scarf: A Novel
by Mojha Kahf

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 30 April 2009
As a rule, I never cry over books... but this book changed all that for me. Mohja Kahf really brought her main character, Khadra, to life for me, and I cried bucket-loads at some of life's trials that she went through. This is a beautiful and moving coming of age story. I really recommend it.

Ten Things I Hate About Me
Ten Things I Hate About Me
by Randa Abdel-Fattah

5.0 out of 5 stars A light and nifty book about fitting in vs being yourself, 30 April 2009
This book, the second one by Randa, shows the authors dexterity in character building. Even though the book is a teenage, light read, it does address important issues that can face any teenager from any minority group and how she eventually learns to accept herself. I related to the character, wanting to fit in but having to deal with an authoritarian father who takes a double standard approach to raising his kids, depending on gender. Again, a great read.

Does My Head Look Big in This?
Does My Head Look Big in This?
by Randa Abdel-Fattah

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT, 30 April 2009
I wish Randa had written this book 15 years ago when I was a teenager! It is a proper teenage girl book, but one which I could relate to as a muslim woman. It is well written, engaging and thoroughly enjoyable!!!

Love in a Headscarf: Muslim woman seeks the One
Love in a Headscarf: Muslim woman seeks the One
by Shelina Zahra Janmohamed

3.0 out of 5 stars A recommended read, 30 April 2009
I enjoyed this book, and I do recommend it. Shelina tells us of her search for Mr right, in the process she changes her priorities and matures, and abandons the daft dream of a prince charming who will dazzle her and sweep her off her feet. She realises that what she really needs is a companion, with whom to share her life. I laughed, and was angered by the situations she encountered. I enjoyed the fact that Shelina was not a damsel in a tower awaiting the man to rescue her, nor was she a pawn in the hands of the matchmakers, she was actively seeking HIM, and I always enjoy narratives of empowered women. I would have given the book a much higher rating if not for two things, Shelina does tend to pontificate a bit, and I felt that considering the nature of the story (its one of self discovery) it lacked emotion.