Profile for J. Grimes > Reviews

Content by J. Grimes

J. Grimes "grimesjr" (London)

Victsing® Latest USB Cable USB Charge Charging Cable Charger for Pebble Smart Watch
Offered by VICTECH

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 22 Nov 2014
Hopeless - can't get it to charge my watch at all

The Wire : Complete HBO Season 1 [DVD] [2002] [2005]
The Wire : Complete HBO Season 1 [DVD] [2002] [2005]
Dvd ~ Dominic West

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 19 Aug 2007
I've just finished watching this show from end to end over a weekend.

I've watched most of the TV drama boxsets that are around so I'm a sucker for this kind of thing already. HBO were also up my list after Deadwood which I also loved. But it also means I've become more discerning about the stuff I commit my free time to. I have to say I'm really pleased I did so on The Wire - it was absolutely worth it.

The reason behind this show being so successful is primarily the characters. We're exposed to not only the great and the good but we spend a lot of time learning about the bad guys as well. As the plot thickens you grow more attached to the entire cast. There's a huge cast to get to know but at the end of the series you really feel you know them all.

Grit & Character - The Wire is a must see

Our Earthly Pleasures
Our Earthly Pleasures
Offered by Giant Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Bucking the Trend, 14 May 2007
This review is from: Our Earthly Pleasures (Audio CD)
Personally I wasn't a big fan of A Certain Trigger - in fact I only gave it a couple of listens before writing it off as being too brash for my taste at the time.

Based on recommendations from too many good sources, I decided to give this a go anyway and I'm damn pleased I did. This album is a superb musical achievement which combines the bizarre with the theatrical to form a thrilling event of an album. From the piledriving Velocity to the incredibly simple yet addictive Fortnights time, this albums energy will take a lot of beating

I look forward to rediscovering A Certain Trigger on the back of this album!

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out
A Fever You Can't Sweat Out
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Head is still bopping, 14 Jan 2007
This is a great debut album - theatrical and dramatic yet still rocking and different. The electronica additions are great and not overused. Some great licks with accomplished vocals combine to make some very memorable tunes.

I do agree with a previous reviewer about the annoying interlude - while quirky - after a couple of listens it's a definite skip when the archaic piano riff kicks in, but this is a very brief dip in an all round great album

Highly recommend

Rio Carbon 5Gb MP3 HDD Player Silver
Rio Carbon 5Gb MP3 HDD Player Silver

3.0 out of 5 stars Great while it lasts, 21 Mar 2006
Rio Carbon does exactly what it says on the tin - plays songs - is handy to carry - has a decent software bundle and is quick and easy to get going
Only warning isnot to buy it without some form of extended warranty as it's not the most durable of MP3 players and once it breaks outside of warranty forget about it - there's nowhere to get it repaired. Wheel on my Rio came off when I pressed it too hard. No option to get it repaired for what must be a fairly common problem.
Great little player - pity about the after sales from Rio

Hover Car Racer
Hover Car Racer
by Matthew Reilly

3.0 out of 5 stars High Octane for Kids!, 4 Jan 2005
This review is from: Hover Car Racer (Hardcover)
Pace is still Matthew Reilly's expertise and there is no doubt that this guy knows how to get his readers to grip the pages with white knuckles. The hover-car races are run at an extraordinary pace with a serious amount of competition & rivalry as ever. The detail around the cars, their operation & the g-forces involved puts you in cockpit as they whiz around. The use of identifiable locations as tracks adds to the enjoyment. Some of the adaptations outlined to create this futuristic world are truly fantastic & show the expanse of the author's imagination.
As a big fan of Mr. Reilly's previous works, I was slightly disappointed that he seems to have widened his audience by removing all of the violence that were used so well in his previous works. This book has removed the violence and replaced it with a cuter style by using younger characters and building relationships which weren't always a priority in his previous works. This means the body count has dropped off considerably, it has been replaced with rivalry, camaraderie & loyalties to beat the band, which will undoubtedly appeal to a brand new audience for Matthew Reilly's work. (Possibly at the expense of some old ones!!)

Scarecrow
Scarecrow
by Matthew Reilly

5.0 out of 5 stars Now that was Stunning!, 28 Oct 2004
This review is from: Scarecrow (Paperback)
I hadn't read any other Matthew Reilly books previously and only picked this up as I fancied something interesting to read on my way in and out of work every day.
How wrong was I!
This is a pulsating, non-stop, adrenalin rush that made me desperately sorry to reach my destination every day. This book keeps the hurtles along at a frantic pace from page one until the final mind blowing scenes. I found it tough to hold myself back from skipping words and paragraphs to get to the next situation that our team find themselves blowing their way out of! I am glad I did however as each event can turn on it's head in an instant and that is the best element of this book.
This is certainly suited to a certain type of reader, those who shy away from stomach churning action and violence will not enjoy this as much as anyone looking for a WOW moment on every page.
Defintely not for the faint hearted, this is a must read for any adrenaline junky looking for a new career!!