Profile for John Summers > Reviews

Philips AquaTouch AT896 Wet and Dry Shaver
Offered by Gordons Direct
Price: 65.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I had not read the specifications!, 11 Dec 2013
I bought this shaver to add/replace what I thought was an identical shaver I bought last year. However, though it looks the same, instead of taking 1 hour to recharge it takes 8 hours! This is a pain. The shaver is OK otherwise, but do note you do not get a carrying case. I had noticed this and can use the one from last year's purchase.

Wagner: Parsifal
Wagner: Parsifal
Price: 22.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing!!, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: Wagner: Parsifal (MP3 Download)
The singers, orchestra and performance are superb BUT some technician has decided to alter the original recording sound. I downloaded some MP3 tracks a year ago and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the sound. Unfortunately the joins between the tracks were poor so I decided to buy the 4 CDs. As soon as I began to listen to the opening I felt the sound was 'bare'. I then played the album and compared it to my downloads (which was easy as I have a twin CD player). The sound was so different. The CD's acoustic was 'dry'; the balance of the singer(s)/orchestra had been changed. The 'ambience' had disappeared. It was as if a 'photoshop' technician had looked at a 'Monet painting' and decided that the the irregular edges needed corrected delineation, changed the colours to simpler ones and rearranged the objects in the painting. A small label had been attached to the 'box cover' stating that the recording had been changed by some quite complex digital process. I wish they had left it alone. I have now downloaded the MP3 version (with its faulty joins as I realized I would never listen to the CDs) and returned the CDs to Amazon who have been very co-operative in dealing with my complaint. I do not know when this 'latest' version appeared but you have been warned.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2014 5:10 PM GMT

Tchaikovsky: Eugene Onegin [+digital booklet]
Tchaikovsky: Eugene Onegin [+digital booklet]
Price: 12.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A Solti gem, 3 Jun 2013
The sound quality of this disc is excellent. A lovely performance from all concerned. Solti displays his usual dynamism and yet the performances are warm and involving.

ESPRIT Z33996 Men's Shirt Claret Red Small
ESPRIT Z33996 Men's Shirt Claret Red Small

4.0 out of 5 stars First time buy of clothes online., 10 Jan 2013
I have never bought any clothes from a catalogue or online as I like to see the product first hand, so I was taking a chance.
The shirt is darker than the photo image but it is beautifully cut and arrived within a few days of ordering.
I would now consider ordering more clothing online if it met my requirements.