Profile for old dude > Reviews

Content by old dude

old dude (lancashire)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Fire Stick: Amazon Fire TV Stick User Guide (voyage, paperwhite, unlimited, amazon echo, support, apps, remote)

1.0 out of 5 stars not cheap enough, 24 May 2015
This is a very short book...skim read in 15 minutes. Very basic info written in the style you sometimes find in instruction books for products where the country of origin is non-English-speaking.

Sony MDR1RBT Wireless Bluetooth Prestige Headphones - Black
Sony MDR1RBT Wireless Bluetooth Prestige Headphones - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Everything but the sync, 10 April 2015
I was delighted with the comfort and Bluetooth performance of my new headphones...until I tried a few videos. Everything I tried, on YouTube and BBC Iplayer, was out of sync, wonderful sound quality but lagging a fatal fraction of a second behind the action. I got the same result on my iPhone 6, iPad 2 and iPad Mini but I got a clue as to what was going on when, in desperation, I got out my old iPhone 3GS....perfectly synchronised !? Next step was to check Support on Sony UK's website and there, under Bluetooth Compatibility for this product it states that compatibility only goes as far as the iPhone 4 ! I'm still a bit baffled and annoyed by this as the compability issue only seemed to affect video syncing but, with regret, the headphones have been returned. Meanwhile I was so impressed by the audio performance and comfort of my headphones-for-a-day that I'm waiting for the release next month of the Sony MDR1 ABT ....which the Sony website assures me are fully compatible with the iPhone 6 !(?)

PS According to the Sony website the more recent MDR10 RBT are little different, only assuring compatibility as far as iPhone 5. No doubt a minor skirmish in the "phone wars" (Apple v Sony) and information is difficult to find ....highly irritating !

Panasonic DMC-LX100EBK Digital Camera (4/3 inch MOS Sensor, f1.7-2.8 LEICA DC VARIO-SUMMILUX Lens with 24-75mm) - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended...with knobs on !, 6 Mar. 2015
I've been an enthusiastic user of the Lumix LX series for years: LX3 and then LX7. For me they've been the ideal, in-my-pocket compact: excellent definition, wide aperture for low light, extra-wide angle and impressive video performance. I've never minded the arguably restricted telephoto reach and having to buy an automatic lens cover to replace the thing on a string provided !
The LX100 more than matches its predecessors in the basics and then there are several crucial improvements that should outsmart the phonecameras for a few years yet. These are my personal picks.
1) Wifi that works beautifully with my phone and pads means that on-the-spot processing is accessible anywhere if needed and, if your phone is in a reception area, emails, texts, Facebook and the rest are instantly available.
2) The additional option of 4K video really does look good and the freeze-frames (that can be processed in-camera or, with more precision in your video editing program) are at 8 megapixel quality.
3) Using the external controls (see illustration) is a revelation that takes the camera and my photography up a notch. The simplicity of the aperture priority option (where you set your chosen aperture on the lens barrel and set the shutter speed knob to 'A') and shutter priority, where those operations are reversed, opens up a wealth of creative options, especially given the wide range of shutter speeds available. Certainly a first for a compact camera.
4) ...and another knob adjusts exposure compensation (+/-) in response to tricky lighting situations that is monitored as you watch the viewing screen.

Heartily recommended.
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Necessary Death of Lewis Winter: The Glasgow Trilogy Book 1
The Necessary Death of Lewis Winter: The Glasgow Trilogy Book 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Jan. 2015
One of the major pleasures of crime novels is their "geography"...their sense of place: country, city, culture. It's so much a part of the flavour of the story: whether it's L.A or Ystad. So it's a shock when an author just doesn't bother...and manages to write a thriller as compelling as this. It's nominally set in Glasgow ("The Glasgow Trilogy" even) but it could be any city and what displaces the "local colour" is the character and motivation of its cast of characters and the dissection and dynamics of underworld politics. Richard Stark's "Parker" books are the only ones that I can compare this to...and I'm not sure that this isn't even better than those (praise indeed!). I bought the rest of the trilogy the moment I'd finished this.

Tokyo Laundry Unisex Cahir Soft Cable Knitted Winter Warm Beanie Hat Light Grey One Size
Offered by Etail Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars A real winter warmer., 3 Jan. 2015
Very pleased with both fit and colour. I've wasted money on one-size head-huggers before but this is ideal: thick wool and not too tight.

Forty Days Without Shadow: An Arctic Thriller
Forty Days Without Shadow: An Arctic Thriller

5.0 out of 5 stars What a good book. Really has something to say about the ..., 2 Jan. 2015
What a good book. Really has something to say about the people and culture of a part of the world that doesn't get much attention and weaves these personal and social concerns into a particularly well-structured crime story. Truly absorbing. Klemet and Nina will be back soon I guess...as soon as M. Truc's second in the series: Le Detroit du Loup (Wolf Strait (?)) is translated. Hope it's soon.

PS Also noticed that the original French title of "40 days..." was Le Dernier Lapon ....the last Lapp...very fitting but you can see why they changed it for the English version.

Konig & Meyer Wave 10 Compact Stand for Guitar
Konig & Meyer Wave 10 Compact Stand for Guitar

4.0 out of 5 stars Never go out without it, 23 Jan. 2014
I've found this invaluable. Easily folding, it neatly stashes in the front pouch of my soft guitar case and I find it a better option than the "pub prop" which didn't fit some tables-tops. Equally fits various sizes of acoustic guitar: from "parlour" to "jumbo". In regular use for gigs, open-mics and singarounds for about six months and useful as an extra guitar stand at home. It's robust in spite of its light weight which makes it ultra-portable: it's fallen over once...a useful early warning to check stability properly every time !

iTALKonline MESH NET RED Super Hydro Gel Protective Armour/Case/Skin/Cover/Shell for Apple iPhone 3G, 3GS
Offered by iTALKonline-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 23 Jan. 2014
Robust and effective: handy access for all the phone's functions; eye-catching for my "where my phone?" moments and half the price of my old one.

Sparkly Christmas Tree - swirling glitter - natural/warmer white LED - battery/mains - 2807-000

3.0 out of 5 stars Great...Still working, 26 Dec. 2013
Length:: 0:25 Mins

In fact the real thing looks (even) better than the video BUT, although I've only had ten days or so, there have been persistent problems getting it going; typically it needs a couple of gentle shakes for the sparkles to start sparkling. It's so nice that I don't want to send it back but I cross my fingers every day, hoping it makes it through til 6th January.

Postscript in 2015. I needn't have worried. Our sparky tree has now lasted two Christmases without any serious interruption.

Skytronic Mercury Battery Tester For AA, AAA, PP3 and Button Cells
Skytronic Mercury Battery Tester For AA, AAA, PP3 and Button Cells
Offered by Goods-cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plus free "ear pick", 13 July 2013
This is a very effective battery tester at a ridiculously low price....and a mystery object was packaged with it. 4-5 inches long, made of wood (like a jumbo sized cocktail stick) with one end shaped like a scoop and, at the other, a tiny doll-shaped and painted toggle. Sorry, these reviews don't allow picture attachment. Curious, I contacted the seller (in Hong Kong) and got the briefest of replies..."It is a lovely ear pick" :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4