Profile for old dude > Reviews

Konig & Meyer Wave 10 Compact Stand for Guitar
Konig & Meyer Wave 10 Compact Stand for Guitar
Price: 10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Never go out without it, 23 Jan 2014
I've found this invaluable. Easily folding, it neatly stashes in the front pouch of my soft guitar case and I find it a better option than the "pub prop" which didn't fit some tables-tops. Equally fits various sizes of acoustic guitar: from "parlour" to "jumbo". In regular use for gigs, open-mics and singarounds for about six months and useful as an extra guitar stand at home. It's robust in spite of its light weight which makes it ultra-portable: it's fallen over once...a useful early warning to check stability properly every time !

iTALKonline MESH NET RED Super Hydro Gel Protective Armour/Case/Skin/Cover/Shell for Apple iPhone 3G, 3GS
Offered by iTALKonline-UK
Price: 3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 23 Jan 2014
Robust and effective: handy access for all the phone's functions; eye-catching for my "where my phone?" moments and half the price of my old one.

Sparkly Christmas Tree - swirling glitter - natural/warmer white LED - battery/mains - 2807-000

3.0 out of 5 stars Great...when it works., 26 Dec 2013
Length:: 0:25 Mins

In fact the real thing looks (even) better than the video BUT, although I've only had ten days or so, there have been persistent problems getting it going; typically it needs a couple of gentle shakes for the sparkles to start sparkling. It's so nice that I don't want to send it back but I cross my fingers every day, hoping it makes it through til 6th January.

Sky Tronic Universal Battery Tester
Sky Tronic Universal Battery Tester
Offered by FT-Deal.
Price: 1.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Plus free "ear pick", 13 July 2013
This is a very effective battery tester at a ridiculously low price....and a mystery object was packaged with it. 4-5 inches long, made of wood (like a jumbo sized cocktail stick) with one end shaped like a scoop and, at the other, a tiny doll-shaped and painted toggle. Sorry, these reviews don't allow picture attachment. Curious, I contacted the seller (in Hong Kong) and got the briefest of replies..."It is a lovely ear pick" :)

The Original Simply Electronics Universal Stick Anywhere Mobile Phone Car Windscreen / Dash Mount Cradle Mobile Phone Car Holder, Rotate & Lock to Windscreen - Fits all Mobile and Smartphones up to 8.5cm wide. Also works very well with your phone in its Protection Case
Offered by Hielec(Ship from China)
Price: 1.14

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe it'll work on the mantelpiece, 11 July 2013
Maybe it's me, but after 15 minutes trying to stick this thing on every available surface on or near the dashboard, I give up. At 3 it's not worth returning: although somewhere in China a industrial empire is probably growing as I write. Put down to experience...and putting too much trust in Amazon reviews !

Planet Waves Guitar Rest
Planet Waves Guitar Rest
Price: 5.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Use with caution, 31 Mar 2013
I still think this is a good idea. It lacks the locked-in security of the "pub prop" but is supremely easy and convenient to use. Ideally it needs a square-edged table top to rest your guitar against but it'll tolerate the typical curved edge pub table...and the screwed-up pub prop has similar difficulties with some table designs. Just lean the neck of the guitar against the rest and gravity keeps it stable...but don't use this if the guitar is in danger of jostled or banged as the guitar will simply end up on the floor ! Used with caution it's a very handy thing to keep in the gig-bag.

AVES Aqua Portable Bluetooth Speaker w/ Noise-reduction Mic Handsfree Phone Kit in Black
Offered by Audio Electrical
Price: 12.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, when you get used to it., 31 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was a present for a relative (aged 16) so I've taken his views in to account writing this review. The speaker looks neat and is extremely light and portable with its built-in rechargeable battery.

Sound quality is fair to good, depending on the type of music being played: there's certainly a lack of bass that can detract from some pop and rock but with lighter more acoustic genres and, surprisingly, classical this seems less of a problem. Certainly it achieves plenty of distortion-free volume, more than loud enough for home listening and the sound quality was a lot better than the speakers in the iphone and ipad I was using it with. Further, I've compared the Aves's sound quality both to a Minirig (90)and a JBL On Stage (down to 50 currently) - sound quality was less good than either but the Aves has plusses that may compensate: the Minirig is a sonic marvel...but no bluetooth and the JBL has a fuller sound...but a less portable design and, again, no Bluetooth.

If you use the Aves in non-bluetooth fashion,via a mini-jackplug lead (not supplied) from your phone or tablet it is very simple and effective to operate with an on/off switch on the back of the speaker. But, the bluetooth is obviously a major selling point and, like many other reviewers I've had a mixed experience elsewhere with bluetooth. However my iphone and ipad "discovered" the Aves (or is it vice versa ?)and paired with it with no real problems and the Aves kept on playing irrespective of where I was in the room and even when I was in adjacent rooms with my phone...though why anyone would want to do this is a puzzle ;).

The only problems were with the bluetooth controls. In bluetooth mode, after switching on on the back of speaker, the front of speaker controls take over. These are not physical buttons/switches but graphic symbols for bluetooth connection and volume control. These respond to light finger pressure with two small flashing light on the face of the speaker to reassure you that the Aves is doing what its supposed to. Undoubtedly fiddly and maybe irritating to start with but once you're used to used it, no hassle. The speaker operates very well in vertical position, something that the instruction booklet fails to mention and the bluetooth touch controls become more easily accessible.

Overall, as my grandson confirms, the Aves Bluetooth is an appealing prospect at the price: neat, portable and versatile with good sound quality.

2 Parts Hard PU Leather Case with Tripod fixing for Panasonic Lumix LX7 Digital Camera (Brown)
Offered by BV-electronics
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Well made, good value but not for me., 5 Mar 2013
I very seldom use a tripod and also I'm a big fan of the JJC auto lens cover for the LX7 that's why this item stays in the drawer these days. I found the, for me unnecessary, tripod fixing marred the smooth compactness of the camera in the case and it was so ruggedly made that trying to detach it threatened to destroy the case. But the real bad news case-wise was when I bought the JJC ALC LX7B - a marvellous idea but it adds a few mms to the diameter of the lens housing and now the front of the case won't fit...hence the drawer I mentioned.

I've had BV cases before and been very impressed by their quality and price and would say the same for this item unless you share my feelings about tripod fixings and automatic lens covers.

Photographer's Guide to the Panasonic Lumix LX7
Photographer's Guide to the Panasonic Lumix LX7
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Tailor made for the Kindle/iPad, 19 Feb 2013
I was a fan of one of the Lumix LX7's predecessors, the LX3: such a fan that I bought Alex White's book about it...even though the camera had an adequate printed handbook in the box and I still found White's book a valuable supplement to getting the most out of a sophisticated camera. So when I bought the new LX7 (which I assumed to be even more sophisticated than the LX3) and found that Panasonic had decided to dump the printed guide in favour of a CD version (grrr!) I immediately thought of Mr White. At that point the print edition was not yet released on Amazon uk so, although I'd had bad experiences with Kindle handbooks before, I was keen to find out what those new knobs and switches did ! In the event, experience so far suggests that Alex White is an author for the Kindle age: using the app on my iPad makes using the guide in this form even easier than the printed option. The hyperlinks in the Contents section, within the main text and in the admirably thorough final Index provide a shining example of how this should be done. Not to get too carried with hypertext aspects though; I'm finding the book itself is basically a marvellously detailed and illustrated exposition of "what does what and how" on the LX7, written in an approachable, common-sense style: just as I found with his LX3 book. The Kindle edition is, currently, less than half the price of the paperback version...which could also be a good argument.

Automatic Lens Cap for Panasonic Lumix DMC LX-7 black
Automatic Lens Cap for Panasonic Lumix DMC LX-7 black
Offered by CKEYIN
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly successful, 9 Feb 2013
In spite of the product being named Maxsima the name on the item itself is in fact JCC ALC-LX7B so I thought my review might be useful here as well. After reading lots of very mixed reviews of several products that seem identical to this one, with lots of confusion about which LX model they were designed for, I anticipated disaster...but it works brilliantly. The reviews at least prepared me for the puzzle and initial difficult of removing the front knurled ring off the lens housing of the LX7...it took repeated firm but gentle finger pressure to unscrew it. After that it was a simple bayonet-type assembly. There seem to be several Youtube videos on the subject of removing the outer lens ring from the Lumix LX7...with hindsight it might have been reassuring to watch one before embarking on the task. The only downside is that the 3 hinges add to the lens's diameter and now my recently purchased camera case won't go over the lens!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4