Profile for BBKF > Reviews

Content by BBKF

BBKF

Page: 1 | 2
HAUNT (a modern christmas ghost story)
HAUNT (a modern christmas ghost story)

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable and quick read, 25 Nov. 2014
Was ok. I didn't think it was anything special but it was of course nicely familiar. Was hoping for something more unique.

Our Story, for My Daughter (Capturing 18 years of great stories & memories) (Parent & Child)
by from you to me

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book that offers such a connection for your daughter., 6 Mar. 2013
Hi - just like others have said, this is a really lovely, lovely book. I like the style/font/images and all of the many little 'aside' boxes to complete for each year (illnesses, memories etc). I looked again at my daughter's (3 years in) and was actually quite helpful and interesting to see things like illnesses recorded, weird as that sounds! however, this is the kind of thing children want to know - how old was I when.... etc.
Great positive headlines too like 'hopes for the future' and so forth. So glad I purchased this. Lovely for the parent as well as the child. So worth the money.

The Making of Us
The Making of Us
by Lisa Jewell

2.0 out of 5 stars Could do better..., 14 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Making of Us (Paperback)
I have always liked Lisa Jewell's novels, but I'm wondering if she's reaching that slightly 'tricky' stage which I think quite a few similar writers reach, where maybe they are tackling different topics that might be beyond their reach - the 'jury' inside me, is still a little bit out for Lisa J in her last few books. I did not think the characters in this particular novel were all that well developed and some parts that could have been very well thought out, got a bit 'lost'. I wonder about the editing?

The topic of not being raised by your BIRTH parent(s) is one that is not a million miles away from my own personal experience and I loathed the continued use of the word 'REAL' brother/father/sister etc. However, this was balanced out by Robyn's character and the relationship she had with her father, a little bit. It just did not make for comfortable reading, for all the wrong reasons. I don't mind a challenging or uncomfortable read at all, but I'm not sure if Lisa J. was 100% clear in where this book was going. Too many stop/starts for my liking.

I'd prefer to see a return to earlier form. I'm not sure these intense issues really seem to suit her writing style. I'm sad to say that I think there are authors out there who write really gripping novels about similar themes with more maturity and depth.

Walking On Glass
Walking On Glass
by Iain Banks

5.0 out of 5 stars Still thinking about this book!, 29 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Walking On Glass (Paperback)
There have been lots of interesting reviews of this book already. All I have to add is that I read this when I was 17 and I am still thinking about it and recommending it to folk, some 20 years on! One that stays with you...

Ceremonials
Ceremonials
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep up the good work Ms Welch, 16 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Ceremonials (Audio CD)
Yes, very good.

I won't write an NME style review (sorry), just wanted to add that I agree it needs a few listens (I think all the best albums do, actually).

Can't listen to Seven Devils driving down the country lane near where I live - it scares me too much! Can't say I usually have that response to music, so that's interesting!! I feel sure it'll be used to advertise some TV show (maybe not a good thing...).

Heartlines makes me think of my little daughter - not sure why.

Why should it be 'Lungs II'? That would be boring. Maybe it is a bit over produced in places, but generally a thumbs up!

Kiddiwalks in East Sussex
Kiddiwalks in East Sussex
by Leonard Markham

4.0 out of 5 stars A fab resource for families who wish to go exploring with little ones., 29 Aug. 2011
Having just returned from one of the walks in the book, I feel inspired to review it!
The book has a number of walks which include essential details for parents of smaller children, including no. of stiles, whether the walk is pushchair friendly and the distance and gradient.
We've done a few when our little one was two (the pushchair friendly ones!) and are now trying some of the more challenging ones. The one we did today was described as 2.75 miles long, but it felt quite a bit longer!
The walks we have done have been very pretty and full of wildlife. The ones we have tried also seem to couple more formal walkways with a bit of off-roading too, so provide a good variety of walking and things to see.

When I looked for such a book, this was all I could find a few years ago, so not sure if there's more choice now, but we have got more than our monies worth from this book. Shame it now seems to be only available on Amazon in a 'used' condition??? Wonder if it's being re-written or something?

A Child's Garden: A Story of Hope
A Child's Garden: A Story of Hope
by Michael Foreman

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and inspiring, 9 Mar. 2011
Ditto all of the above. I chose this for my toddler and she loves the way the garden grows. I got it from the library but intend to buy it. I don't think she's too young to look at this sort of book and I can explain more of the context to her as she gets older, over the years.
It was the sort of book that made the hairs go up on the back of my neck! However, currently my toddler simply enjoys looking at the bright colours and telling me which creatures are in the garden, so it can operate on several levels.
A lovely book which tackles some weighty issues in a child friendly way.

Aquatopia Aquatopia Bath-time Kneeler
Aquatopia Aquatopia Bath-time Kneeler

4.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't be without one!, 1 Jun. 2010
Do NOT attempt to have a child without one of these! They are brilliant for cushioning your knees and making bathing a bit more comfy. Admittedly though they do stain, generally get a bit whiffy after about one year and look a bit grubby. But I DON'T care! as they make what could be pretty painful a lot easier. None of our suckers have come off and although you do have to unpack the pockets each time, I really only see them as ensuring that shampoo etc is in easy reach - always handy with a wriggling toddler. I came across this product by accident really but am so glad I did. I'm surprised they're not more widely available as it's a really good concept.

Paul Lamond - Murder Mystery The Case Of Silver Bullet
Paul Lamond - Murder Mystery The Case Of Silver Bullet
Offered by makandmabel

3.0 out of 5 stars A night of murder and total mayhem!, 1 May 2009
We used 'The Silver Bullet' for my birthday, recently.
It's the 3rd time I've done a murder mystery dinner party over the years.
It's ok. The characters are ok. The DVD is ok. The suggested menu is ghastly (obviously you can do whatever you feel like, but it did seem a weak suggestion).

So, it's.... ok. My reasons for it not being fab, is that it's really confusing (particularly after a few glasses of wine - essential at such functions). The instructions don't make it clear when to read the scripts you get (it would help if they suggested before or after a course) and more importantly, how long each segment on the DVD lasts, as then you can roughly time how long the dishes take to get to the table - all part of the hostessing stress I guess, so timings help.

We muddled through, and it made it more funny, probably. Having a script to work from was again, ok - middling. I haven't had a script before quite like this, so it gave you good prompts, but again seemed a bit confusing as to who did what bit and when. I guess it's all part of the fun, but I have enjoyed other boxed murder mystery games a bit more. Somehow this didn't feel as spontaneous.

The Lady's Day stuff had appealed to me in the description of the game (all sounded a bit quirky and 'Wicker Man-esque' but disappointingly, this was not mentioned - a bit about witchcraft, but not very much at all.

The DVD is quite good and definitely adds something to the evening (I've only had tapes before this).

I really enjoy these sort of evenings and ultimately they're just an excuse to dress up in ridiculous outfits (this one has some great character suggestions/costumes, I might add) and get drunk with your friends.

It's not bad, but I expect there are better ones out there, particularly given this one's a bit more expensive than others.

The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog: And Other Stories from a Child Psychiatrist's Notebook - What Traumatized Children Can Teach Us About Life, Loss and Healing
by Maia Szalavitz

5.0 out of 5 stars This one's a goodie!, 26 Feb. 2008
I have many books on trauma and attachment theory but most are dry, although still quite interesting, given the nature of the topic. This is the first that I've come across that has a balance of academic tone with plain good 'can't put it down' type engagement in it's style. It's not meant to be an academic text but still manages to educate very well.

I usually avoid sensationalist titles like the one this book has, but don't let that put you off (if you go for a more 'dry' type of book) as this is very well constructed.

Bruce Perry is very well respected in his field and beyond. I admire him for writing such an honest reflection on his own practice and enabling us to have a glimpse into some very troubled lives but always with the hope of building resilience and strengths.

Page: 1 | 2