Profile for Aoteoroa > Reviews

Content by Aoteoroa

Aoteoroa

Children of Cambodia's Killing Fields: Memoirs by Survivors (Southeast Asia Studies Monograph Series)
by Dith Pran

4.0 out of 5 stars Suffer little children, 13 Dec 2013
I first read this book 10 years ago while making a documentary in Cambodia. I remember translating it out loud to my Czech crew as we drove through Cambodia's beautiful countryside. Time and again I had to stop my translation and look out the window, unable to continue the description of indescribable cruelty perpetuated by the Khmer Rouge upon innocent children.

Survival in the Killing Fields
Survival in the Killing Fields
by Haing Ngor

5.0 out of 5 stars How intelligence creates courage, 13 Dec 2013
It is difficult to realise that the horrors of the killing fields occurred in our lifetime. Haing Ngor's account of his survival is both clinical and deeply human. After reading this astounding book I understood what he meant when receiving his Oscar for playing the role of Dith Prahn in THE KILLING FIELDS: "My best performances were over before I left Cambodia." Haing Ngor had to act (lie) his way to survival.

Converting Bohemia: Force and Persuasion in the Catholic Reformation (New Studies in European History)
by Howard Louthan

4.0 out of 5 stars Art serving religion as a tool of persuasion, 18 Sep 2012
Howard Louthan's Converting Bohemia: Force and persuasion in the Catholic Reformation offers remarkable insight into and analysis of the use of art and ritual to infiltrate the minds of Protestants during the 17th and 18th centuries and drag them back by persuasion into the Catholic fold. This is not just about Bohemia; Louthan's book provides an unbiassed study of art as a propaganda tool in the service of religion.