Profile for Eric le rouge > Reviews

Content by Eric le rouge

Eric le rouge (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
World War II Infantry Tactics : Squad and Platoon (Elite): Vol. 1
World War II Infantry Tactics : Squad and Platoon (Elite): Vol. 1
by Stephen Bull

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent and informative but maybe lacking case studies, 22 Nov. 2012
I enjoyed the book and had a pleasant time reading it.

Being rarely dissapointed with Ospreys, this first volume of infantry tactics covers well the subject.

The schematics are very clear and instructive. The chapters on "by the book" tactics are well treated although maybe take too much room in this crammed 60pager.

As a summary, I would have the following comments:

(+)
- Dense, concise and clear
- Clear and informative graphics
- Historical documents such as extracts of manuals, sketches, etc.. which always give some shape to a history book
- A good simple well illustrated plate showing the American weapons (one on british, soviet and german would also have been welcome)

(-)
- Perhaps too much on "by the book" tactics
- Maybe more on case studies showing how "by the book" tactics did in real fights
- Why not including Soviet tactics? Maybe this was not the purpose of the book but always found Eastern Front tactics and armies are always left aside in WWII general books.

Overall a decent work.

Hegemony or Survival : America's Quest for Global Dominance
Hegemony or Survival : America's Quest for Global Dominance
by Noam Chomsky

4.0 out of 5 stars We need these books, 22 Nov. 2012
We need this books like Hegemony or survival by Chomsky because they are eye openners.
Personally, I would mostly tend to agree with the author although I found he may be going too far sometimes and being one sided.
By reading such a book, It is also tempting to see the views of people who disagree with the author which amazon reviews does someways not badly.

To my mind, any nation that reaches a certain level of power, is bound for a quest for imperial dominance.

Minoan World
Minoan World
by Arthur Cotterell

4.0 out of 5 stars Well illustrated - Perfect introduction, 21 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Minoan World (Hardcover)
A very well presented and illustrated book that may date a bit now. Still, the photographs are still worth the buy.
The text is relatively light but retrace the history of this people with simplicity and clarity.

It is a perfect introduction to the subject.

Mesopotamia: The Invention of the City
Mesopotamia: The Invention of the City
by Gwendolyn Leick

4.0 out of 5 stars The rise of the city, 21 Nov. 2012
A very good book on how the city was invented in ancient mesopotamia.
Mesopotamia always being a fascinating subject, I have alread read a couple of book on the subject but this one has the originality to present it in a different way: By going through a couple of the most important cities: Eridu, Babylone, etc.

The author has rather a fresh style but sometimes may sound a bit repetitive as she goes through each city one by one.

Better maps would also be welcome.

Overall a decent book that deserve attention.

I would suggest "Ancient Iraq" by George Roux as a "next" one to read.

Rise to Globalism: American Foreign Policy Since 1938
Rise to Globalism: American Foreign Policy Since 1938
by Stephen E. Ambrose and Douglas G. Brinkley

4.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for anybody interested in current politics and globalism, 21 Nov. 2012
A formidable book with a clear and concise style that makes you understand where America's foreign policy comes from and where it is going.
As were in some ways still under the shock of 9/11, it is a very good book to read to understand the current wars, problems and tensions in our modern world.
I particularly enjoyed the first chapters dealing with the post-war era.

by Peter Heather

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard read but a very interesting and informative book, 21 Nov. 2012
Being an amateur reader, I bought this book a while ago and it stayed on my shelf for a while.
When I got decided to read it, I had a quick glance at some reviews and got a bit nervous before reading it.

I would say that most of the previous reviews are from my point of view very accurate.

Firstly, the book is quite large, app 650 pages and I would unfortunately say not easily readable for the layman.
Mainly because the author spends quite a lot time describing the various debate on current theories and goes quite far into details.
He repeats himself quite a lot and all of this makes the book arduous to read.
So, I am not sure for who this book is intended to? So potential readers, be aware.

Despite the above, I made an effort to carry on reading and in the end, I must say I was quite happy.
I did learn a lot and understood new concepts about migrations, settlement, relation with Rome, etc. that did not really grasped before.
Finally, the Third law of empire is a very intersting idea.

In my views, what Peter Heather succeeds the most is to convey us these theories and concepts but a bit of editing would have been welcome by triming a good quarter of the book.

I picked up a few mistakes such as the date of the Teutoberg Wald battle which from previous readings understood to be AD 9?

Overall, It is a very decent and interesting book but be aware that it may not be easy to read although the effort is from my point of view worth it.

Rome's Enemies: Germanics and Dacians No.1 (Men-at-arms): Germanics and Daciens No.1
by Peter Wilcox

4.0 out of 5 stars Very decent and serious Osprey, 18 Nov. 2012
The men-at-arms series is usually 40p long thus offers only a very quick glance at the subject.

This said, quite a lot of information is packed in this opus.

(+)
- Beautiful plates. I understand this osprey is quite old and does not have the fancy 3d rendering but the quality of the detail and appearance is very high. Most of the time, I dont think the 3d renderings that appear in the more recent osprey always add or help the text.
- Very fine and interesting sketches and details on archaeological remains. I actually never found an osprey with so much details and particular attention given to the artefacts.
- Chronology
- Glossary with a recap of all the various tribes, homlands, etc.

(-)
- shortness of the book
- Not much on fighting tactics (perhaps this is covered in another osprey?)

by Peter Heather

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard read but a very interesting and informative book, 18 Nov. 2012

He repeats himself quite a lot and all of this makes the book arduous to read.

Finally, the Third law of empire is a very intersting idea.

Pale Blue Dot: a Vision of the Human Future in Space
Pale Blue Dot: a Vision of the Human Future in Space
by Carl Sagan

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring voyage, 4 Nov. 2012
Difficult to not put a 5 star for this book. This is confirmed by all the previous reviews.

Carl Sagan truly put ourselves into scale in his magnificient book. The title says it all.
The image of us inhabiting this little pale blue dot seen from voyager is striking and in some sense vertiginous. A reminder of our place in the universe.

To be read by anybody interested in the future of humanity and its place in the universe.

The Beast [DVD] [1988]
The Beast [DVD] [1988]
Dvd ~ George Dzundza
Offered by qualityfilmsfromuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Great movie with intense claustrophobic sequence, 3 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Beast [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
A great war movie to watch. Beautiful landscape, striking potrayal of the war in Afghanistan and interesting claustrophobic sequences inside the tanks which are usually rarely seen in movies.
The plot may be a bit simple and naive but the actors offer a decent play.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18