Profile for Andy > Reviews

Content by Andy

Andy "Andy" (Manchester, England)

The Chimp Paradox: The Acclaimed Mind Management Programme to Help You Achieve Success, Confidence and Happiness

4.0 out of 5 stars review, 19 May 2014
I have lived with social anxiety for over 20 years. Anyone who has it will know it is a debilitating condition that causes a great deal of emotional distress. After reading this book I realised that I had never before quite recognised the emotional high jacking that was going on within me that this book explains. After years of trying to find solutions in self help books I had become down and disillusioned. I should say though I don't feel cured and I still have moments when I struggle, but I feel I have had more progress since reading this book in 2 months than I have had in many years. It is a great relief to feel like ive not been going mad all these years. I am now starting to understand myself and am not worrying that im defective in some way. I have had false dawns before so am hesitant to go to far, but this could well be the book I have been searching for. There may be many other people out there in a similar situation to me, I hope they read it to.

Emotional Intelligence
Emotional Intelligence
by Daniel P. Goleman

4.0 out of 5 stars Life Intelligence, 31 Oct 2006
This review is from: Emotional Intelligence (Paperback)
This book is not just about getting on better in the work place, but getting on better in life in general. I came to read this book through a desire to try and better myself and from reading `self help' books from authors like Susan Jeffers and Paul McKenna. Having only just finished reading it, it is to early to say whether what I have learned will be of long term benefit in terms of my career and other problems like occasional social anxiety and comfort eating. The book challenges you to confront unhelpful and self-defeating thoughts when they arise and to locate where and when they first came from. It is fair to say that this book has given me a huge insight into why I think the way I do and the possible reasons why I am the way I am. Although it does not go into practical solutions to deeply, it does give you insights into your own emotional thinking and that alone I believe can be of enormous benefit. I now feel I have a fresh desire and impetus to push through these ways of thinking. If you have problems in your life like me then this book could help to give you the same insights.

WWE - The Self-Destruction Of The Ultimate Warrior [DVD]
WWE - The Self-Destruction Of The Ultimate Warrior [DVD]
Dvd ~ Wwe
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

4.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Nostalgia Trip!, 6 July 2006
As a teenager back in the late 80's early 90's I was a huge fan of the Ultimate Warrior and the WWF (now WWE) and when I saw this dvd I felt I had to buy it to find out what had happened to him. The dvd tracks the warriors career from his early days partnering Sting to his immergance as the Dingo Warrior through to becoming the Ultimate Warrior.

Lots of wrestlers and guys involved past and present have there say on the warriors career - Vince McMahon, Bobby Heenan, Sgt Slaughter, Jim Ross (who is he??) Jerry Lawler, Gene Okerlund, Ted Dibiase, Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan and more. The dvd includes some of the warriors best moments including his title winning matches over the Honky Tonk Man and Hulk Hogan.

For me however one of the best parts of this dvd and I think the reason I liked him so much is the warriors promo's section which is hilariously funny. I don't think I realised at the time just how crazy bonkers some of the things he said were. He looks almost high on steroids as he talks with high intensity about the gods and spaceships and allsorts of funny stuff. I think it was his slightly maniac edge despite being a `good guy wrestler' that appealed to people about him. Also quite funny is the story of his high energy ring entrances - sometimes the arenas were so large that by the time he had run from the dressing room into the ring and done his stuff he was knackered for the actual wrestling match!

Although I enjoyed watching this dvd some of the criticism about the warrior seems to go a bit far. Although in general most of what is said by various guys in the business seem genuine there is defiantly a feel that some of them have been put up to it a little. Although most of what is said seems fair 2 moments stood out for me - Gene Okerlund looking decidedly uneasy as he lays into the warrior yet again, and Vince McMahon explaining how he sacked the warrior for not showing up at wrestling matches explaining that the warrior used the recent death of his father as an excuse (Apparently warrior and his father did not get on and he hadn't seen his father for years). Despite this however I have to say I don't think Vince McMahon was very wise to say this - at the end of the day it was still his father and what if the warrior hadn't been lieing?

In general im not sure why Vince McMahon decided to make this dvd. Surely if the warrior was as bad as is suggested then the best thing McMahon could have done was to rise above it and move on. Instead he has decided to make a documentary about him which suggests it still plays on his mind. The Warrior isn't on the dvd to defend himself so it would seem only half the story has been told. I know a lot of other wrestlers including Hulk Hogan and the British Bulldog who had there differences and fall outs over the years.

In general though this is an excellent dvd, very funny and an interesting insight into what goes on behind the scenes. It seems like there were a lot of wrestlers with huge egos at the time and the Ultimate Warrior was no different. It certainly hasn't changed my opinion of him. If you like me were a fan of the Ultimate Warrior back in the late 80's early 90's and fancy a nostalgia trip then this is defiantly for you!