Profile for M. A. PRITCHARD > Reviews

Content by M. A. PRITCHARD

M. A. PRITCHARD "Mark A Pritchard" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Xeryus Rouge 100 ml Eau de Toilette Spray for Men By Givenchy
Xeryus Rouge 100 ml Eau de Toilette Spray for Men By Givenchy
Offered by Fragrance New York

5.0 out of 5 stars Spicy red scent that is perfect for the winter months, 18 Nov. 2014
A spicy, warm, red berry scent that is very pleasant to my novice nose, and a little more unique and different than a lot of the other scents I was trying out in the department stores. It's not flowery, not girly and it has a spicy edge to it that makes it a very masculine scent. I invested in a 100ml bottle, and am very happy that I did so.

Myrkur
Myrkur

5.0 out of 5 stars Elemental feminine black metal, 18 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Myrkur (Audio CD)
I’ve been listening to this album for a few weeks now, but for some reason I’ve been delaying my review. That’s not like me at all. Anybody who has had a brief chat with me will know that I am a very opinionated man, a man who doesn’t really care if expressing his opinions is going to damage him in a social setting. I just don’t care. Take your bland niceness and stick it. We ain’t here forever, so let’s talk about interesting things, things that actually matter.

If I have something to say, I say it. So why the delay in reviewing this album?

It’s not because it leaves me feeling indifferent, because it doesn’t do that at all. If I were indifferent about it then I’d listen to it for a couple of days, give it a scathing review, and then never listen to it ever again. Myrkur has been burning its way into my consciousness for weeks now and I can’t get enough of it. I love it. It’s the number one album on my car stereo as I navigate my way through the traffic jams of school run, keep my head down, support the troops, vote for slavery repeaters all around me.

So why have I been purposefully delaying this review? The truth of the matter is that I know that it’s going to be difficult for me to succinctly capture the feel of the album in just a few words. It's going to be difficult, but here goes:

Myrkur has been labelled as ‘Black metal’ and it kind of is, but not really. There are screams, blast beat drums and furiously riffing guitars, but there’s a lot more going on here. There is a feminine feel to it all that’s new to me. It’s not the old beauty and beast thing, with male and female vocals contrasting with each other to create an effect, instead it is pure femininity, with choir like vocals, screams and anger, but not the tear you apart anger that Black metal usually consists of. It’s self-contained, yet expansive. A lone female voice crying out to the mountains. You can feel an elemental, eternal longing in the music, but there is no despair. It feels strong, yet soft, powerful, confident, alone but not alone, all that you need is within, and that within is connected to what is outside.

The standout track is ‘Nattens Barn.' It starts with the female choir, then progresses through a labyrinth of soundscapes that represent the feel of the album very well as a whole. Listen to it, if you like it buy the album. I also want to mention Dybt/Skoven, a track that is a trip to somewhere strange, but so beautiful, mesmerising and elemental, as I mentioned above.

I’m not sure that I did the music credit here, but that’s why I was delaying the review. I can’t capture it in words; the music is beyond that. I’m a huge Black metal fan, but this is music that transcends that limited genre categorisation. This is a debut album, and there’s more to come. How fantastic is that? Something is beginning here, jump on board and let’s see where the ride takes us.

Return of the Plumed Serpent: War God: Book Two
Return of the Plumed Serpent: War God: Book Two
by Graham Hancock

5.0 out of 5 stars Unrelentingly brutal, 17 Nov. 2014
***Spoilers in review***

‘War God II- Return of the Plumed Serpent’ is a difficult book to read, but not because it isn’t very well written, and not because it isn’t very cleverly structured. It is in fact extremely well written, expertly structured, tightly edited and extensively researched. It also has helpful summaries of previous events that nudge the reader’s memory, making it easier for him/her to understand what is happening in the relevant context.

The book is very good, but I didn’t enjoy reading it, and when I came to the final page I felt a wave of relief come over me. It was a relief that I would no longer have to read about disgusting, self-serving, avaricious sociopathic leaders instructing their order following subservients to carry out acts of inhumanity that they were very obviously revelling in.

This is not the fault of the writer, as what he is doing in this book is using fiction to tell the real-life story of the Spanish conquest of the modern day Mexico. The problem is that we know how the story ends, and it’s difficult to see anybody in a positive light, not just the Spaniards, but the sacrifice crazed Mexica as well.

Author Graham Hancock understands that this is going to be a huge problem, and he does his best to surmount it, but I feel that the task is impossible. There are no heroes in this story, just sides.

A young girl named Tozi began this story as a potential sacrificial victim to the wicked Mexica. She ends up as a servant of the wicked Spanish, as does her best friend Malinal, an attractive translator who sleeps with the psychopathic Cortez, helping him to deceive, manipulate, butcher and conquer the native people. A brave warrior name Shikotenka ends up utterly defeated and emasculated by the Spanish war machine. He doesn’t sleep with Cortez, but he might as well do. He finishes the book as little more than another concubine/vassal to the psychopathic Spanish leader. A good hearted and innocent young boy named Pepillo is taught how to kill, as is his pet dog Melchior. Innocence corrupted, incorporated and made into a tool to be used by the blood and gold thirsty Spaniards.

All of the characters that I could relate to, all of the individuals that I could empathise with in the first book have now joined the Spanish war machine of death and conquest.

Hernan Cortez himself is disgusting. He orders massacres, the burning of villages and the killing of civilians for tactical reasons. The individual human lives are not important to him. He is complex and cunning, but that does not interest me. He is simply disgusting, as is his rival Moctezuma. The former delights in getting his hands bloody on a one to one basis, whilst the latter is a coward, but both men revolt me. I don’t like reading about them, I just don’t.

The novel contains detailed accounts of massacres where the heavily armoured Spanish use their superior technology to slaughter the local tribes whilst having a whale of a time doing so. I could take no enjoyment from what I was reading here. This is a narrative for fans of splatter movies and serial killer books. They’ll love the descriptions of hand to hand butchery, the piled up human bodies, the torture, the stench of rotting flesh, the pulled out fingernails, the disembowelled wailing victims, the skin torn off screaming bodies.

To me it was unrelentingly brutal. It is historical fact, but there is no redeeming message here. Its just humanity at it’s worse. Order following, greed, butchery, war and death. The gods look on, revelling in the bloodshed, but I don’t.

War God II- Return of the Plumed Serpent is a harrowing book to read. The young heroines and brave warriors of the first book are now just vassals of the Spanish Conquistadors. The streets are lined with rotting corpses and rivers of blood as Cortez the butcher enjoys the prettiest girl in town whilst dreaming of wealth and power.

History is harsh, it can leave you feeling hopelessly depressed that this is what our modern civilisation and cultures have been built upon. Graham Hancock has woven a brutal account of some terrible times here, but it just left me feeling cold. As Hancock himself puts it in the amendments of this book:

‘It is a historical fact that within fifty years of the Spanish conquest, the indigenous population of Mexico had been reduced through war, famine and introduced diseases from thirty million to just one million.’

There was no happy ending in Mexico. The gods of war enjoyed themselves, and the humans suffered. This brutal book tells the brutal truth.

Black Terror White Soldiers: Islam, Fascism & the New Age
Black Terror White Soldiers: Islam, Fascism & the New Age
by David Livingstone

3.0 out of 5 stars Valuable information, but a very difficult read., 7 Oct. 2014
There’s too much information presented in this book, and at over 600 pages in length it’s an interminable chore to slog through it all.

Simply put, there’s too much going on here, and there’s no narrative thread that ties everything together. The research carried out for this one book could easily be used to create 10,000 other books. The books created from this information would be far more valuable than their original source as they could look at their individual subject matters in a far more satisfying manner than the original.

A typical sentence in ‘Black Terror White Soldiers’ goes something like this:

‘Bob knew Arnold, who knew Fred, who knew Charlie, who worked for X who believed in Y, and Y is related to W and W discusses the idea of Tom and Tom is related to Tracey who was connected on her maternal side to Trevor who was influenced by the teachings of Bob.’

This sentence structure is extremely taxing to follow, and it makes the end point almost completely redundant as you forget what it was all about in the first place. This is probably the least reader friendly book that I’ve ever read. From page to page it goes on and on in this highly complicated, scatological manner, barely bothering to link one idea to the other or putting anything of a narrative or ideological branch around any of it.

This is not a story. It’s a list, and who wants to read a list that goes on for over 600 pages? I’ve climbed a bloody mountain here, and it kind of sucked the entire way up. Crap, I’m not even sure why I bothered climbing the mountain in the first place.

But now that I’ve done it, what did I make of it all? What did I learn? In one sentence, I learnt the following:

Everybody is lying, and those not deliberately lying are foolish dupes, and there’s not much that you can do about it.

That’s all I could get out of the book. Everybody who is trying to spread some truth into the world are linked to some group or other that we shouldn’t trust, so even when people are trying to tell us the truth they are just useful idiots being manipulated by shadowy occulted groups.

I did enjoy the part of the book that covers the occult theology of the elite’s, as it ties into my growing realisation that western democracy is a fraud, and that we are being manipulated by a tiny group with ties to intelligence agencies and occult secret societies. I also enjoyed the section of the book that exposed how the Salafi/Wahabi death cults originating from Saudi Arabia have been manufactured from the start to serve western imperial objectives. However, this informative material is contained within reams and reams of dense, almost unreadable text, so the enjoyablity factor I got from reading this book, as a whole, was very, very low.

Despite all of the valuable information that it undoubtedly contains, I cannot recommend this book. It might even put you off exploring some of the topics discussed as it is so coldly and humourlessly written it’s almost like it was put together by a team of researchers rather than one human individual. If you want to read about any of the subjects collected within the chapters of this book then I’d strongly suggest you get a book that focuses exclusively on that one subject.

‘Black Terror White Soldiers’ will give you lots of references, but it’s almost unreadable and comes to no definitive conclusions about anything, other than the already painfully obvious fact that most of the people with mainstream platforms are lying to you. It doesn’t even try to present the subject matter in an enjoyable, reader friendly narrative form and is an absolute slog to get through, from beginning to end.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2015 11:46 PM GMT

Naturya Organic Spirulina Powder 200 g Nutritional Power Food Pouch
Naturya Organic Spirulina Powder 200 g Nutritional Power Food Pouch

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for vegans and people who have moral issues with ..., 25 Sept. 2014
Lots of plant based protein. Perfect for vegans and people who have moral issues with the unjust and unnecessary slaughter of sentient beings.

Naturya Organic Hemp Protein Powder 300 g Nutritional Power Food Pouch
Naturya Organic Hemp Protein Powder 300 g Nutritional Power Food Pouch

Great in a smoothie.

NIL Kingfisher 100 ml Flouride Free Fennel Toothpaste
NIL Kingfisher 100 ml Flouride Free Fennel Toothpaste
Offered by Activecare Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Sept. 2014
Better than the supermarket poison.

Hemp Oil - 100% Pure - 500ml
Hemp Oil - 100% Pure - 500ml
Offered by Naissance

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Sept. 2014
Lots of oil at a good price.

Vital in Box Green Coffee Bean Extract 1000mg Weight Loss Supplement EXTRA Strong Formula With 50% Chlorogenic Acid - Lose Weight Naturally With Green Coffee Bean - 90 Premium Quality Fat Burning Capsules - As Seen On TV! The Best Natural Weight Loss And Slimming Aid With Lifetime Money-Back Guarantee!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great dietary aid, 7 Aug. 2014
Green Coffee Bean extract has helped me to lose a few inches from my mid-rift area, and I also noticed that they have an appetite suppressant effect as well. Two tablets a day are all that’s needed, so they are very good value for money. Don't expect a miracle, you still need to exercise and eat a good fruit and vegetable packed (preferably organic) diet, but as a weight loss supplement I’ve found them to be very useful and well worth the money.

Andre the Giant (Graphic Novel)
Andre the Giant (Graphic Novel)
by Box Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars A plane ride to nowhere, 15 Jun. 2014
There was an emotional and developmental sense of stasis, of inertia that made reading this fine, subtle book about the life of Andre the Giant a melancholic experience for this reader. Perhaps it’s just the nature of the perpetually adolescent pro wrestling industry itself, but my lasting impression is of the book’s final panel, of hedonism, emptiness and of wasting time by playing cards on an endless plane ride to nowhere. I didn’t get a real sense of who Andre Roussimoff really was, but perhaps that’s the real sadness behind the persona, that there was nothing there, just a massive, empty façade, and when the show was over there was nothing. Just endless drinking and embarrassing moments of rudeness caused by the alcohol consumption.

The man was not a hero, but he was not a villain either. He was just a man who grew too big, made some money out of it, and died at an early age (46 years-old) without doing all of the things in life that men are supposed to do. He had a child, but she interfered with his career, so he wasn’t interested. He wasn’t married and his friendships were based on him being a celebrity. There was a sad, shallow emptiness about everything he did. He had a ranch where he stayed when he wasn’t playing cards on an aeroplane. He wrestled, and he drank. The book shoots by so fast, with panels that have a childish sense of fun about them. Panels that have a cartoon simplicity, a lack of complexity that is perfect to depict a life far less interesting than you might think, the life of a pro wrestler. His life was not fun. It looked boring. I wouldn’t want that life. He travelled, but he was too big, and he was in constant pain, and when he finished travelling he died, alone on his ranch, in pain.

He was not a victim. He lived his life on his own terms. Selfish, empty and looking to capitalise financially and socially out of his size. He didn’t do it to feed his family. He did it to feed himself. It’s a story of a hollow life. Of a life only half lived, and it’s a lesson to men of all size. Life is not about appearance. Life is not about travelling. Life is not about hedonism. Life is about stages of development. If all you do is stay at one stage, never progressing and experiencing the other stages of life, what’s the point? Pro wrestling is the perfect metaphor for stunted emotional development. It is childish fun, but eventually you have to leave it behind, not just as a fan, but as this book demonstrates, as a performer as well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5