Profile for Mr. R. M. Lathwell > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. M. Lathwell

Mr. R. M. Lathwell "holden-c" (Hemel Hempstead, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Strict Joy [2CD & DVD]
Strict Joy [2CD & DVD]
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, incorrect track listing on Amazon, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Strict Joy [2CD & DVD] (Audio CD)
I love this album but, as stated by another reviewer, the track listing stated on Amazon for the bonus live CD is incorrect and it contains only 14 tracks, not the 20 stated. The tracks which are missing from the live CD are Say It To Me Now; Gigantic; Go With Happiness; Blue Shoes; Star Star; The Auld Triangle. There is an MP3 version on Amazon which contains the full album and all of the live tracks including those missing from the CD other than, for some bizarre reason, Blue Shoes. Whether or not this can be obtained via other download sites I don't know. Personally I still prefer to have the physical CDs and so was a little disappointed at not getting everything I was expecting.

That said it's still a great package and you can't blame the artist for someone else listing their product incorrectly.

The Bible : The Old Testament According To Spike Milligan :
The Bible : The Old Testament According To Spike Milligan :
by Spike Milligan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Far from his best work, 13 Mar. 2012
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed Spike's war memoirs I was immensely disappointed with his take on the Old Testament. The war diaries were extremely funny and at times moving whereas I found this to be dull with tired and predictable gags. If you're new to Spike Milligan I would certainly avoid this and head straight to his memoirs instead in order to experience the genius of the man.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2014 4:48 PM GMT

Star Wars: The Complete Saga [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Star Wars: The Complete Saga [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford

4.0 out of 5 stars Great films, incomplete package, 3 Jan. 2012
I'll keep this short as it's all been said elsewhere at greater length. If, by some miracle, you don't already own these movies on another format don't hesitate, just buy this set. The movies look and sound spectacular. The changes that have been made here and there really aren't a big deal and in some cases are an improvement, particularly in replacing the Yoda puppet in Ep.1 with a CGI version. There's nothing that's changed this time that even comes close to the damage done to Ep.VI during the Special Edition revamp and it's a pity that George Lucas hasn't seen fit to unpick the mess he made of that.

The extras are okay but not exceptional. Yes, it's a thrill to finally see some of the deleted scenes from the original trilogy which the fans have been aware of for so long but which have only been available in poor quality versions previously or in some cases never seen at all. However, the deleted scenes for the prequel trilogy are generally incomplete or based around animatics and I think it's a shame that they haven't included the finished deleted scenes that were on the DVD releases, which are far better instead of forcing fans to but both formats in order to have everything. There's little else among the bonus material that would warrant a second look.

If you already have the movies on DVD then there's no need to rush out and get these, you're not missing out on a vast amount. Better to hold on and wait til the price drops further still (already down from almost £70 to under £50) and pick up a bargain or wait until the next version is inevitably released.

Harvest For The World: Live At Royal Liverpool Philharmonic
Harvest For The World: Live At Royal Liverpool Philharmonic

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I'd hoped for, 3 Jan. 2012
Having been a fan of The Christians from their first single onwards I was looking forward to hearing this album from three of the original members (Roger having left the group early on and subsequently passed away). What I wasn't aware of when I ordered, and admittedly I perhaps should have checked first, is that this album is an acoustic performance and not a full band. Although the songs are still good and Garry's vocals as great as ever I felt that it left some of the songs a little lacking. If you're an old fan it's probably worth a punt but if you're new to the group I'd start with their earlier output.

Russell Hobbs Breadmaker Kneader - 10008/10006
Russell Hobbs Breadmaker Kneader - 10008/10006

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement part, 3 Jan. 2012
The blade on my 10006 model RH breadmaker finally gave up the ghost after many years of hard work and this is a perfect replacement. It arrived the day after ordering and has not caused any problems, a far cheaper option that buying a new machine. This is just the blade though, you don't get the rubber bit that normally sits between the blade and the bin. My one of those has disintegrated but a couple of cheap rubber washers has served as a sufficient replacement.

Friends Like These
Friends Like These
by Danny Wallace

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining enough, 3 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Friends Like These (Paperback)
As usual with Danny Wallace this is an amusing and entertaining read, this time based around his impending thirtieth birthday and his attempts to track down old school friends that he's since lost touch with. Slightly implausible at times but with Danny almost anything is possible so you're never quite sure where reality ends and artistic licence takes over. A decent bit of fluff if you're after a holiday read or something easy and amusing to immerse yourself into of an evening.

Size Matters Not: The Extraordinary Life & Career of Warwick Davis
Size Matters Not: The Extraordinary Life & Career of Warwick Davis
by Warwick Davis

1.0 out of 5 stars Best off sticking to the acting, 3 Jan. 2012
Personally I found this book to be poorly written although some of the blame must lay at the door of whoever edited it. The writing is simplistic, amateurish, dull and often banal. Having read less that 100 pages I wasn't enjoying the book at all and this didn't improve by the end other than the section relating to Warwick and Sam's struggle to start a family which was touching. The frequent footnotes add next to nothing to the story and could have been dispensed with and by the end I was left feeling that the author has perhaps rather more in common with his character in Life's Too Short that he'd like to admit to himself.

I wanted to like this book but, to be frank, I endured it rather than enjoyed it. Frankie Boyle aside it's possibly the least enjoyable autobiography I've read and will be heading straight to the shelves of our nearest charity shop.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2012 12:19 AM GMT

Memoirs of a Fruitcake: The Wilderness Years 2000-2010
Memoirs of a Fruitcake: The Wilderness Years 2000-2010
by Chris Evans

3.0 out of 5 stars Second best, 4 Feb. 2011
I've been a far of Chris Evans since the very first episode of the Big Breakfast, only wavering when his ego span out of control and by his own admission he pretty much lost the plot. The first volume of his autobiography, "It's Not What You Think", was a hugely enjoyable read and this book picks up where the last finished at the time of his acquisition of Vigin Radio. Personally I felt this second volume fell short of the high standards of the first. It was more interesting to hear of his growing up and developing career than it has been to read of his fall from grace and subsequent climb back up the ladder.

For me the repeated self depracation and chastisement became dull as were the lengthy tales of Ferrari adulation and acquisition. There are a few pages dedicated to the oppulance of his former Surrey home which go into so much detail as to the granduer of it all that it sounds vain and boastful, which I'm sure weren't the intention as Chris appears very much a changed man, but were nonetheless excessive.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book. It gives an insight into the world of celebrity, it's honest, it's easy to read and there are far worse autobiographies out there. Equally though there are far better reads which why I'm scoring this an average 3/5.

The Fry Chronicles
The Fry Chronicles
by Stephen Fry

2.0 out of 5 stars The long and winding road. Very, very winding indeed., 18 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Fry Chronicles (Hardcover)
As with many other reviewers I found this book to pale in comparison to Moab Is My Washpot. Whereas I tore through the first volume of Mr. Fry's memoirs at a rate of knots I am finding this second volume ponderous and at times pretentious and seemingly pointless. There are large sections which waver far from the point, if indeed there is one, which a decent editor should have trimmed or cut altogether. The entire introduction on the matter or pipe smoking, the ramblings on his obsession with technology, the minutiae of life at Cambridge, all could have done with a hearty swing of the editorial axe.

At this juncture I'm still around a hundred pages from the end of the book and my keenness to complete the read can be attributed to nothing greater than my desire to move onto something else. The term "national treasure" is scattered with liberal abandon in unison with Stephen Fry's name and I'm certainly not going to disagree with such opinion but I'm afraid this particular read has fallen far short of my personal expectations and I feel of his previous work. I certainly hope that the third volume, whenever it eventually appears, is an improvement on this.

Ordinary Heroes
Ordinary Heroes
Offered by encorerecords

2.0 out of 5 stars Ordinary album, 12 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Ordinary Heroes (Audio CD)
I'd like nothing more to say how wonderful I felt this album is but having purchased it upon release I felt that it wasn't just the title that was ordinary. In the intervening year I've probably played the album no more than a couple of times. The previous studio album, "Revolution Of The Heart", was a gem that I played frequently over an extended period as has been the case with almost every album he's issued. That I should cast aside this latest collection so quickly speaks volumes.

Individually most of the songs are pleasant enough but as a collection I find it dull and insipid. The first and last tracks are my personal highlights. The low point for me is the title track which I've never liked having heard it performed live previously, the lyrics are just so twee. I was also unimpressed at the inclusion of "Someone You Need", a song that was first issued a decade earlier as a duet with Duncan Sheik. The new solo version adds nothing to the original.

As is typical of the artist the message in the songs is largely a positive one, I only wish my review could follow suit. If you're looking for a Howard Jones album, post commercial success, you'd be better off checking out the aforementioned "Revolution Of The Heart" or "People" albums which wipe the floor with this. It's not a dreadful album but it falls far short of his usual high standards.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4