Profile for S Macdonald > Reviews

Content by S Macdonald

S Macdonald "Old but wise" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
D-Link DIR-850L AC1200 1200Mbps Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless AC Broadband Router
Offered by Ballicom International

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up and boosted my wifi range, 23 Oct 2013
I switch to Fibre which came with the normal openreach fibre modem and my ISP's wireless router.We live in a three storey house and the wireless range on the router was terrible. It couldnt reach most of the 1st floor and wifi speeds anywhere but in the same room were awful.

I tried an Apple Airport Express. Whilst that was easy to use the range was only slightly better.

Finally I bought this little fella after reading good reviews on Amazon.com about it, several of which mentioned good range. Firstly, out of the box, its smaller than it looks, just a bit bigger than a can of soda. Its light and a bit plasticky however it does look different to the masses.

Setup was very easy. I used d-links ipad/iphone app which found the router. I entered my ISPs username and password and after a reboot off we went. (the unit came with the latest firmware). Well what can I say? Range is excellent. I'm getting my max fibre speed in the same room as the router and whilst that of course drops away the further I move I get full three storey coverage throughout the house. If I had to say anything its that the power cord is a touch short.

In summary, it has achieved exactly what I wanted it too and fully met expectations.

Panasonic SC-BTT500EBS Full HD 3D Blu-ray Disc 5.1 Home Cinema System (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice kit but resets to main menu each time its turned on., 9 Aug 2013
This looks great. Easy to set up and had it working fine. However, when you turn it off and back on, the unit reverts to the main menu each time meaning you have to reselect your source again with the remote. This made it unuseable for me so sent it back.

Love Never Dies Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD)
Love Never Dies Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD)
Dvd ~ Ben Lewis

4.0 out of 5 stars A stunningly filmed show., 31 Mar 2013
Just recently got this Blu ray Firstly, I have to agree with most of the other reviewers in saying that this is beautifully filmed. Not just a stage musical filmed, but far more cinematically shot with close ups taking you right into the action and emotions of the actors.

Living in the UK and being a fan of musicals my knowledge of this show was from the pretty poor reviews it received, the rewrite that was required mid run and the anti publicity from the LSD brigade. Therefore this Melbourne production came as a very pleasant suprise.

There isnt a weak link in the production, all of the actors are superb, vocally and in their acting performances. The design is exquisite, costumes, set and lighting.

The book is much better than I expected, the story is easy to follow yet still has enough depth and intrugue to keep you interested.

Now to the score. Many reviews say the score is weak and unmemorable which I cannot agree with. There are many strong stand alone pieces which are extremely strong. My big problem with the score is the reappearance of melodies from ALWs previous shows. To take a whole song from a prior show 'Love Never Dies' with new lyrics, which appeared in the beautiful game, was bad enough. Has ALW lost his ability to write a new song and instread re-works an old one? He said that the song never really worked in The Beautiful Game which to me is a cop out and makes me feel short changed when I saw The Beautiful Game. Its a strong song but dont rehash it to provide a song for another production. As well as the reuse of that song there are many melodies refrained from the original Phantom. I could just about cope with this but it did make me constantly compare the two shows. If he had not done this I would have been more likely to judge this show on its own merits as Im sure many others would have.

As well as the references back to Phantom, there are a lot of hints of melodies from ALWs other shows. I heard Woman in White, Beautiful Game, Sunset Boulevard, Whistle Down The Wind and more frequently Aspects Of Love. Now Im unsure if these references were deliberate or not. Can ALW not compose a genuinly new score without including hints of previous shows? For me it turned this into a 'I will name that tune in...' As I tried to recall which previous show it was from which was distracting and took me away from this production.

I would have preferred no references to Phantom or other shows to give this show a chance to shine on its own merits. In fact without those references I would put this in my top five ALW shows and would not hesitate to buy a ticket if this production came to the UK again.

Niggles apart. This is a very enjoyable filmed show. I play it often and wish there was a soundtrack of this production. Dont buy it expecting Phantom part two. You will be dissapointed if you are a lover of that show. Instread, try and keep an open mind and take in the quality of this production.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2013 10:50 AM BST

Nokia Asha 300 Clear Screen Protector (Pack of 3)
Nokia Asha 300 Clear Screen Protector (Pack of 3)

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesnt match screen of this phone model, 13 Mar 2013
The Nokia Asha 300 has a rectangular screen however these protectors have a cut out about 1cm square along one edge which isnt required and leaves part of the screen unprotected. Sent mine back to Amazon.

Samsung HT-E5500 Smart 1000W 5.1 Channel Home Theatre System with Built-in Wi-Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product thats straightforward to use., 10 Mar 2013
Bought this to replace a Sony unit which failed. Firstly it looks good. Everything is very shiny though so beware finger prints and scratches. The sub is compact and was easy to hide away.

Set up was easy though the manual isnt as structured as it could be. All the speakers are colour coded making it easy to connect. The menu system is clear and matches that on my Samsung LED though it differs from the manual once you have updated the software.

Compared to the Sony, the sound is better. More Bass and better surround sound. The blu ray though is a little slow from inserting the disc to the contents appearing.

As this was paired with a Samsung TV many settings were automatically found using their BD Wise function. Turning off the TV also turns this unit off. I mainly use it for Sky HD and found the best set up was to connect the Sky HD box to the TV with HDMI then use an optical cable from Sky HD straight to this unit. When Digital Input is set to auto the unit reognises its got both an hd and optical input and switches to the digital input setting. Be aware if you only connect Ky with a hdmi cable you wont get Dolby sound, just stereo. There are codes online to use your Sky remote to switch this unit on rather than using its own remote control.

Brother MFCJ5910DW A3 Colour Inkjet Wireless Multifunction Printer (Print/Scan/Copy/Fax)
Offered by Printerland

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality. A dissapointment., 7 Feb 2013
Ive had around 5 Brother All In Ones and been satisfied with them. In fact a couple have been real workhorses. Firstly, being an A3 printer, this is a beast of a machine with a huge footprint. Set up was pretty straightforward on two computers and initially I was impressed. However when I started using it the problems started. Firstly, its very slow to start printing and makes lots of clunky noises before it finally starts. At the end of a print the clunking continues as it resets itself. You could not sit within a few feet of this and take a phone call.

The main problem is that it regularly jammed by misfeeding paper. I tried three different types of A4 and address labels and all would jam around one in five times. Printing address labels on fast would guarantee a jam.

Finally the huge paper tray is flimsy and I cannot imagine it lasting long.

I sent mine back. Brother should be ashamed of themselves releasing this onto the market.

Anker® Screen Protector for iPhone 5S / iPhone 5C / iPhone 5 [3-Pack] Highly-Transparent Anti-Glare Anti-Fingerprint (Matte) with Lifetime Warranty
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality, great package., 22 Dec 2012
The pack contains three protectors, a plastic applicator, a dust remover take and instructions. I've used protectors before and been disappointed with air bubbles or dust specks but I followed the instructions and the protector went on fine. I can't even tell its there apart from the matte finish which .I much prefer to the shiny types.

Volume DH-B38 Bluetooth Headphones with Microphone and Remote for Smartphones - Black/Red
Offered by Volume Headphones

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed given thge price., 5 Dec 2012
Bought these because of their looks and good reviews. Very disappointing. Fist they feel cheap. Cheap plastics and very lightweight. The cover for the battery is a tight fit and feels like you could snap it trying to close it. It takes rechargeable batteries but these are not supplied and cannot be charged in situe so you would need a battery charger. Can also use normal AAA batteries but for this price I would expect some in the pack. I'm beginning to wonder where the positive reviews came from? Sent mine back.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2012 4:22 PM GMT

Gadget Giant Google Nexus 7 Asus Tablet (7" inch) 2012 - S Line Gel Grip Silicone Case Cover & LCD Screen Protector (Black)
Offered by Gadget Giant

5.0 out of 5 stars My case of choice, 20 Sep 2012
I've had S line cases for my phones and iPads. As with previous ones this fits perfectly. All ports and buttons are accessible and the case doesn't add much bulk to the Nexus. Recommend using it with a screen protector which with this case will give good all round protection.

A great price too.

Google Nexus 7 Tablet Case - Black Carbon Fibre Print PropUp Stand Case Cover with integrated stand function and magnetic sleep sensors (Fits all Nexus 7 versions - 8GB, 16GB, 32GB Wi-Fi & HSPA+). With 2 x Screen Guards Included & BONUS: G-HUB ProPen Stylus
Offered by OGADGETHUB

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed., 20 Sep 2012
Bought this based on the reviews and am dissapointed. Firstly the outer feels cheap. Its PVC with an imprint. Then there is no clasp to keep it closed so it could easily come open in a bag leaving it liable to scratches. Finally its pretty hard to access the pull down from the top of the screen as the case fits so squarely along the edge of the screen.

Sending mine back and trying another type.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2012 6:03 PM BST