Profile for Jimifan1970 > Reviews

Content by Jimifan1970

Jimifan1970 "Foxy" (Suffolk, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife
Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife
by Eben Alexander

3.0 out of 5 stars No real proof here., 28 July 2015
Unsure about this book. On the face of it, a neurosurgeon schooled into the belief that all NDEs are explicable through brain activity and then having a powerful and life-changing NDE himself should make an intriguing read. But we have problems. Alexander suffered an extremely rare form of meningitis caused by a freakishly unlucky contraction of the E. coli bacteria, one of the oldest and hardiest bacteria known to man. And one of the least treatable. Alexander was not expected to survive, or, if he did, he would be in a chronic vegetative state due to catastrophic brain damage. Alexander tells us that the bacteria in the spino-cerebral fluid almost literally eats the brain away. And here we have the first problem. Alexander not only survives, but he suffers no permanent brain damage. Hmmmmm. I'm no brain surgeon but it seems very strange that such an aggressive invader should leave the victim capable of making a full recovery. A miracle? Maybe.
But I have other reservations. The book is written in a rather sensationalist style, with cliff-hangers attached to the end of each chapter. This is a little too obvious for my taste. It's also a tad cheesy in places, especially when Alexander makes reference to his son Bond (a secret agent, I ask myself?) and I get the impression that Alexander's literary skills aren't particularly subtle. I'm almost tempted to suggest that it was ghost written ... stop giggling.
This is not to dismiss Alexander's experiences while out of his body, but he CANNOT have been brain dead or the return to life would be impossible. This is the problem with all NDEs, and we must assume that some part of the brain was still functioning.
I am sure that having an NDE would be a life-changing - and maybe life-enhancing - experience for anyone who undergoes one. But the jury is still out on what is really going on (the brain being a hugely complex and mysterious organ), and I can't say that Alexander's contribution adds much to the debate. Maybe the experience simply isn't explicable through language, a point that Alexander attempts to make. In language. You see the problem? The attempt to describe the places he visited as ...The Realm of the Earthworm's-Eye View ... The Core ... The Gateway ... etc. probably falls way short of what he remembers, and doesn't really help us to share anything of his trip to The Afterlife.
Interesting enough, but proof of heaven? I doubt it.

Digital Infrared Photography: Professional Techniques and Images
Digital Infrared Photography: Professional Techniques and Images
by Patrick Rice

1.0 out of 5 stars and some of us have no interest whatsoever in cheesy portraits of luvvy-duvvy couples and you have the recipe for a waste of mon, 17 July 2015
This isn't a book about digital infrared photography techniques at all; it's essentially a book for anyone who wants to take infrared photographs at a WEDDING. So, the title is misleading, though I suppose the cover picture gives a clue. There's also a lot of information about infrared FILM, which again contradicts the title. Add to that the facts that most of the information about post-shoot use of Photoshop is woefully thin and outdated, and some of us have no interest whatsoever in cheesy portraits of luvvy-duvvy couples and you have the recipe for a waste of money.
Do yourself a favour and spend your money on Deborah Sandidge's 'Digital Infrared Photography Photo Workshop', a vastly superior work.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 (PC/Mac)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 (PC/Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy Upgrade From Elements 10, 8 July 2015
I have used Photoshop Elements for some years now, and had stuck with Elements 10 for some while before deciding to upgrade to 13 after reading very favourable reviews from Amazon customers. I say 'upgrade' but I purchased the full product (for Windows) as it seemed like very good value at the price point Amazon were offering, and you can install on two computers without a previous version being in place, which I wanted to do. I also use Photoshop CS2, so will juggle my work between the two programs, depending on what I'm doing. I also have Lightroom 4.4 installed but find the program doesn't suit my way of working at all, so it's virtually redundant.

I process a lot of digital infrared images and Elements 13 is fine for this as long as you download the add-on Elements+ to gain access to a colour channel mixer. The omission of a channel mixer is strange, and seems a little arbitrary but I guess Adobe have to keep back a few of the more advanced features of the full version of Photoshop.

The real bonus for me is the update to ACR 9.0. You can now process any image directly in ACR 9.0 without opening the Editor, which gives access to some powerful features such as Clarity, Vibrance and Saturation, and a host of other useful tools and sliders. Camera Profiles can be written in Adobe's free DNG_Profile Editor and imported into ACR 9.0 (Lightroom 4 will use the same profiles) to give a wide range of processing options for different cameras you might own.

ACR 9.0 on its own would be enough to justify my upgrade, but if you add in the new, simplified Toolbox, which is just as powerful as ever but easier to use thanks to logical groupings, Guided Edits if you forget how to do something and a very friendly interface, then it's a simple decision to go from 10 to 13. I'm not sure that I would be as happy to make the upgrade from 11 or 12 though.

I've tried most of the alternatives to Photoshop/Elements and have always come back to Adobe. It just feels like powerful, well-sorted and reliable software that works in a way that's logical and sensible. It's also worth adding that Elements will run happily on modest machines, unlike Photoshop CC which I for one would love to use but to do so would mean ditching my ancient laptop and desktop (already maxed out).

So, I'm happy to have made the jump from 10 to 13. I have no interest in the Organizer, or the links to Facebook, Flickr etc. as I've already got those things sorted elsewhere, but I guess it's nice to have them if you want to go that route.

The only criticism that I might level at Elements 13 is that some of the new 'effects' are horribly cheesy and tasteless, but it's easy to ignore what you don't ever want to use. In fact, that seems to me to be the strength of both Photoshop and Photoshop Elements - both will happily do whatever you want them to do while you ignore the stuff that's irrelevant. But I guess some people like to have the choice of how to work so you can have that as well if you want.

Photoshop Elements 13 in easy steps
Photoshop Elements 13 in easy steps
by Nick Vandome

5.0 out of 5 stars Good starting point, 8 July 2015
I have used previous titles written by Nick Vandome in the 'in easy steps' series and always been comfortable with the level of expertise expected of the reader. As a relatively simple introduction to the best alternative to Photoshop, this title should satisfy beginners and those who have no interest in the more complex functions of the program. There are plenty of other titles out there if and when you move to intermediate and advanced levels, but this is a good starting point.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Jun. 2015
Can't complain at this price.

Silverline 633880 Tri mmer Line Round - 1.3 mm x 15 m
Silverline 633880 Tri mmer Line Round - 1.3 mm x 15 m

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Sept. 2014
Excellent value. Works fine and a lot less than the Flymo replacement.

The search for Joseph Tully
The search for Joseph Tully
by William H Hallahan

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really my type of horror story, but the ..., 16 Sept. 2014
Not really my type of horror story, but the build-up of atmosphere in a derelict area being slowly destroyed by a wrecking ball is quite effective.

SOLENT TOOLS PACK OF 20 SOLENT TOOLS PLASTIC BLADES TO SUIT FLYMO: Microlite mowers and Minimo (2002-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value for money, 16 Sept. 2014
Fantastic value for money. My mini mower chews through these at an alarming rate so a bag of cheap replacements is very welcome.

100 Ways to Take Better Portrait Photographs
100 Ways to Take Better Portrait Photographs
by Bjorn Thomassen

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Sept. 2014
Excellent way to gather new ideas for portraiture.

16 Tap Washers, Mixed Sizes, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 inch Washers
16 Tap Washers, Mixed Sizes, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 inch Washers
Offered by Bargain-Base

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine and plenty of spares, 27 July 2014
Only needed a couple of these but now I have loads to spare for when my next dripping tap disturbs my sleep. Fast delivery and good value.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6