Profile for markfrombilbao > Reviews

Content by markfrombilbao

markfrombilbao "swev" (Bilbao, Spain)

Joy Division [DVD]
Joy Division [DVD]
Dvd ~ Grant Gee
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 19 Feb 2010
This review is from: Joy Division [DVD] (DVD)
I rather think the reviewers who have given 2 or 3 stars to this awesome documentary have got hold of the wrong end of the stick. It seems that what they wanted was a "greatest hits" collection of JD videos and live footage, something which this film does not purport to be. What we have here is the Joy Division story, from inception to untimely demise, told by those who were actually there and took part in it. This is the story of one of the most important and influential bands in the history of British popular music, and as such it should be considered - not as a "Best Of" compilation.
Mr A.C. Pyke says that he can't understand how anyone can like this. I would reply that it's diificult to see how a true Joy Division fan wouldn't.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2010 1:39 PM BST

I'd Like to See You Again + Singles
I'd Like to See You Again + Singles
Price: 14.11

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 29 Oct 2009
Back in the late 70s / early 80s ACR were always the coolest band around, with just the right blend of trippy, spaced-out weirdness and tight agit-funk. 30 years ago Joy Division were there for our angst, Cabaret Voltaire or Throbbing Gristle if we wanted to freak out our parents and uncomprehending classmates, but if we wanted to sway our bodies a little, there were only one or two options, of which ACR were streets ahead of the rest. Remember, this was the post-punk period - white kids just didn't dance then, but then Simon Topping and Co made it cool to forget our trenchcoats and macs for a while, and actually start to move. This they accomplished with classic singles like "Shack Up" and the two awesome albums "To Each" and "Sextet".
Which is why this album is a bit of a let-down. Gone are the funky, yet sinister rhythms of "Flight", "Do The Du" or "Winter Hill", only to be replaced by wishy-washy, insipid Level 42-style funk. Sure, on the extended version, you get a couple of versions of the magnificent "Knife Slits Water", but the 7" version had already appeared on "Sextet" whereas if you want the 12" version, go for the superb "In The Beginning There Was Rhythm" compilation on Soul Jazz. Apart from "Knife...", what else stands out? Well, not much I'm afraid. It starts quite well with "Touch" and "Saturn", and the single "Guess Who", which closes the original album is reasonable enough too, although this is not the best version. But in between we get some very uninspiring and, in many cases, instantly forgettable music.
I once read that ACR were great until they learnt to play their instruments. There may just be some truth in that.

The Complete Peel Sessions
The Complete Peel Sessions

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 15 April 2009
It's difficult to add anything which hasn't already been said in other reviews about probably the greatest compilation, and certainly the best value for money, I've ever bought.
Turn it up loud, sit back, and the world suddenly makes sense.
Awesome.

Madness And Me
Madness And Me
Offered by dodax-online-uk
Price: 2.05

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite...., 15 April 2009
This review is from: Madness And Me (Audio CD)
Have to agree with the previous reviewers - nice, but nothing which makes you stride down the road with an inane grin on your face as you listen on the ipod, which is what always happened to me with Orbital.
Try the far more varied and interesting "The Ideal Condition" or wait for the new stuff which I'm sure is likely to surface after Orbital's reunion gigs this summer.

Live In London 1980: The Legendary Chaos Tape
Live In London 1980: The Legendary Chaos Tape
Price: 33.53

5.0 out of 5 stars How live albums should sound..., 2 Mar 2009
I'd never previously seen the necessity of writing a review, but it seemed so massively unfair that the only one of this awesome live performance was a one-star undiluted criticism that I changed my mind. This is a stunning document of a band which has remained consistently innovative, steadfastly anti-mainstream for more than thirty years. Despite the cantankerous and abrasive personality of Mark E. Smith, The Fall have never sounded better than on this amazing 77-minute journey. A wonderful reminder for those of us who've known them since they started and a perfect introduction for those new to the delights of The Fall.