Profile for Cubby Kovu > Reviews

Content by Cubby Kovu

Cubby Kovu "Likes to Buy things ^^(means happy face)" (Milton Keynes England)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Power Windows
Power Windows
Offered by roundMediaUK
Price: 1.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 23 April 2012
This review is from: Power Windows (Audio CD)
It is interesting to note that this album seems to be the big dividing album between rush fans they either love it or hate it. I don't count my self as a fan of anything I either like it or I don't but I don't claim to be a fan really, I have perhaps a more objective look, when I FIRST put the cd of power windows on, I have to say I didn't really remember anything and nothing stood out or grabbed my attention I am not sure why but thats just what happened then the second time I listened I realised it was apretty cool album it has for me almost perfect balance of keyboard and guitars and wierd rhythms and things like Grace under pressure but slight more so.

having said that I still don';t know the name of the songs and I still can't remember any of them off the top of my head which is a little bit strange. but I do like it everytime I play it I can remember the words and things so its not a bad album Its just not as memorable as their other albums or something :)

buy it though its worth it

Grace Under Pressure
Grace Under Pressure
Price: 5.27

4.0 out of 5 stars Graceful, 23 April 2012
This review is from: Grace Under Pressure (Audio CD)
I think Graceful is a good way to describe this album its got a sort of glossy sound to the album and I like it the emphasise seems to have been altered to focus on the guitar more again but with heavy effects and also weighty supplies of keyboard, The guitar sounds somewhat like the police in terms of tone, the whole album sounds quite spacious like The police's music but not quite as spacious, there is still complex and intricate bass guitar with in the songs but sometimes this drops out in place of bass pedals and such. Drum wise the album has not changed much there might possibly be some midi drums and things of this nature. but generally the drums have mostly stayed the same maybe I think the feel alittle a bit more simplistic to match the music.
I really like The song Red sector A, keyboard guitar interplay that comes after each section of the verses is very clever and has a slight (disparate feel to it ) it quite a dark song but its very good this would be my favourite song off the album.

Signals
Signals
Price: 5.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing style change, 22 April 2012
This review is from: Signals (Audio CD)
I found this album to be a refreshing style change that was interesting and well thought out, the addition of keyboards had slowly seeped in to Rush's music for quite some time now and this album they made the keyboards take the limelight ( no pun intended) and for me its quite a refreshing change, bringing fresh ideas and sounds to Rush, The songs are excellent catchy as Rush songs always are well written and thought out with excellent jangly guitar, Solid melodic basslines and interesting playful drums and lyrics that mean something even if not always clear. Again its a tastful length too

All in all a good little album. and underated in my opinion

Exit ... Stage Left
Exit ... Stage Left
Price: 7.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Belter, 22 April 2012
This review is from: Exit ... Stage Left (Audio CD)
This album has a great selection of songs, some of my favourite feature on it and its grat to hear them in a live environment,
this album however lacks a special something that my other live rush cd has the 3 stages one I mean and I am not sure what it is. perhaps energy or atmosphere, that said the playing is impeccable and the drum solo is really good.
the vocals are very faithful to the cds and the guitar playing is just exquisite maybe is the word, you really get to hear what alex lifeson plays and if you have the video you can watch is amazing techniques for playing each song.

Wonderful but not the best

Moving Pictures
Moving Pictures
Price: 5.85

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute classic if somewhat over played perhaps, 22 April 2012
This review is from: Moving Pictures (Audio CD)
Despite it being quite overplayed it doesn't make the song bad :)
so with that in mind Tom Sawyer it self is near as damn it masterpiece, Camera eye is a longer semi epic song which I really like.
YYZ is an amzing instrumental and I believe it won an award which I would have voted for it to win too so thats awesome.
Red barchetta is a really good song that starts of kind of rocky then settle in to a nice little vocal melody and then blasts in to the rest of the song with a really cool riff
Limelight is a really clever song with some very clever instrumental work that makes it a slight challenge to listen to and more interesting , Again Rush kept it tastful in length overall and this album is no much over the 40 minute mark
interestingly I don't remember witch hunt and vital signs for some reason but then I normally don't get round to the last two songs cos I get hooked on the others ( possible flaw perhaps?)
anyway its an excellent album and it also show the first album with any MAJOR MAJOR use of keyboards that were creeping in since 2112 it is perhaps the beginning of the eclectic experimental synth era

Hemispheres
Hemispheres
Price: 5.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album if somewhat short again, 22 April 2012
This review is from: Hemispheres (Audio CD)
I love this album and the one that came before I like the songs I like the lyrics the melodies and the playing on it, I also like the fact it is soo short its actually good thing it means you don't get bogged down when you don't have time to concentrate on something really really long :)

it contains the second part of Cygnus X-1 aswell which is cool, It also has the spanish tinged La Villa Strangeto.

Excellent album

very good

A Farewell To Kings
A Farewell To Kings
Price: 5.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid if short release, 22 April 2012
This review is from: A Farewell To Kings (Audio CD)
A Farewell to Kings is a solid if somewhat short release less than forty minutes which is actually perfect for an album like this if it was longer it would only end up being filled with stuff that was either filler or made some of these awesome songs feel like filler. No you get some brilliant songs like Xanadu and Closer to the Heart and also cinderella man I like alot too and don't forget the cyngnus part 1 which forms the first song on the next album making a nice cohesive package.
this album is far more diverse and varied in terms of sounds and rhythms and ideas than the four previous albums.
the playing is very good particularly I feel the guitar playing has been worked on alot, the drum tones and mix is very good and the bass playing is quite fiddly and interesting and is mixed with a lot of highend and less low end.
there is a few keyboard synthesiser sounds used but not as much as later albums.

All in all a nice solid little album

Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a very coool album, 22 April 2012
This review is from: 2112 (Audio CD)
While being Rush's last album to feature an epic song the rather Awesome 2112 It is also the beginning of the period when they first started to use keyboards, The song 2112 is the long epic which is an interesting song it has many sort of what I would describe as False beginning, the song sounds like its leading in to something more energetic but then doesn't it just changes I find that very good and interesting to listen too and this continues all the way through the piece.
the other two great songs are lessons which has an awesome bassline and passage to bankok which has a great riff the whole album is just sublime
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2013 9:38 PM GMT

Fly By Night
Fly By Night
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit more fnuuu, 22 April 2012
This review is from: Fly By Night (Audio CD)
Fly by night has a bit more complexity than Rush and is a bit more energetic than Caress of Steel it also has more songs that are shorter and I think this suites rush better than long songs and I think they know it because most of their albums and songs are not that long. their strength lies in their song writing ability. By tor and the snow dog is an awesome song and so is anthem. also check out the awesome artwork wooop

Caress Of Steel
Caress Of Steel
Price: 5.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Rush's prog prog album, 22 April 2012
This review is from: Caress Of Steel (Audio CD)
Caress Of Steel is Rush's attempt at an album with epic songs on it and I find it pretty fun to listen too, it by far no where near their best but I think its still pretty good
Bastille day is pretty good and I think I'm going bald are pretty solid if more zeppliny style songs than later Rush songs but good solid rockers and the two long tracks are interesting enough, there is some damn fine bass playing and guitar playing on this album. It does feel a bit like they didn't really know what to do with the songs though like in I'm going Bald, it sounds like they jammed it and went on a bit long or something.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30