Profile for G. A. Heiss > Reviews

Content by G. A. Heiss

G. A. Heiss "Gary Heiss" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Cateye EL135 And TL-LD130 Light Set
Cateye EL135 And TL-LD130 Light Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Great set!, 15 Feb 2008
I have used these to commute in London for the past year.. people have commented many times how bright the front light is.. it really hammers out some illumination and yet is very slim and sleek on my road bike bars. rear is also bright,, more than adequate. I agree that the fixing mechanism is slightly tricky to set.. but I have moved this from bike to bike.. and its fine just takes a while).
Great value.

On Chesil Beach
On Chesil Beach
by Ian McEwan
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars How to ruin the greatest love affair of your life!, 1 Feb 2008
This review is from: On Chesil Beach (Paperback)
Spoiler!! My second novel by this writer after Enduring Love. Something about the isolated figure on the book jacket drew me to it (but then again I'm a photographer so images mean a lot). The novel constructs a sense of place and time, and of lives shaped by duty and morals within that timeframe, which i found believable and engaging. However, the delemma the two central characters have, Edward and Florence is more about their own private sexual torments than about the influences of the time. They are trapped by shame, guilt and a fear of expressing the truth of their desires (or lack of) and the tragedy that unfolds is just heartbreaking as neither can find a way through despite their love for one another. I loved it. It spoke the truth to me.

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers
The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers
by Martin Evening
Price: 27.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 Jun 2007
We all really like this book and the way the author writes.. by we I mean the Revenue and Customs Photographic Unit. We had Aperture but hated it and ran Lightroom as a beta. Its a great, intuitive aid in our raw file workflow. Martins writing style and intelligent use of illustrations explain the workings of Lightroom from importing to colour output/conversions. Its helped by small 'tip' boxes along the way that I find have taught me almost as much as the main body of the text itself. I like the way Martin talks to the reader as one who understands photgraphy and digital rather than as a novice so I guess this isn't a book for absolute beginners. Fair point maybe but I am ceratinly ordering another copy for home!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer, 13 Jun 2007
Buy from a UK supplier.. this is an excellent machine with its self calibration closed colour loop thingy going on.. means I get great colourto screen matches almost all the time. Black and white takes more effort .. print with Hanemuhe paper and it is staggeringly good.. one of its strengths is its ability to utilise different media in a special straight through paper path (which means you have to pull it forward from time to time as the paper exits straight out the back.)

Very well made and a good plug in for photoshop means its easy to use and apply the inbuilt profiles to good effect. haven't needed to do any custom paper profiles at all as the self calibration handles it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2008 7:51 PM GMT

The Nature of Photographs by Stephen Shore: A Primer
The Nature of Photographs by Stephen Shore: A Primer
by Stephen Shore

4.0 out of 5 stars Concise meditation on the nature of photographs, 11 Mar 2007
Stephen Shore belongs to a great tradition of deeply philosophical photographers who, theorising about the very nature of their craft manage to create images of enormous didactic power.. truly considered and sincere. With this book, Shore introduces 'The Photograph' as object, as entity and as artifact of the mechanical processes that created this modern 'time capsule'.

An interesting book, well illustrated with minimal text to trigger thought processes rather than to lay down 'laws'.

Not as involving on a literary scale as Sontag's 'On Photography' by never the less a profound introduction to the medium for those who are interested.

Olympus Mju 720 SW Digital Camera - Silver [7.0MP, 10 x optical zoom]
Olympus Mju 720 SW Digital Camera - Silver [7.0MP, 10 x optical zoom]

5.0 out of 5 stars Olympus Gets it Right, 24 Aug 2006
This small, well made compact camera was on my shopping list for a while and when I went to Cuba I decided to take the plunge (no pun intended) and buy one. I like well made cameras as I have been a photographer for over 25 years. This is one such camera. It feels strong and beautifully engineered with a reassuring sense of mass for something so small. The tiny battery took a few charges to get it up to max but once there would last for quite some time although the large rear screen must be power hungry. I only wish a viewfinder had found a place in the design as in bright light it still is hard to really see whats being taken on a screen.. a trend that seems to be here to stay with LCD only cameras in dominance. The camera is packed with features and I found myself experimenting all the time with different modes.. largely successfully. Colour rendition is excellent and jpeg quality maxes out as 20 mb opened up. Good results.. about all I could wish for and considering my other camera was a D2x I found the Olympus no disgrace in its image abilities..up to an A4 size print its excellent. Buy one.. in the rain.. in the pool.. at the beach.. its so much fun to be worry free from the elements with this excellent little camera.

Creative Labs HQ-1700 Headphones
Creative Labs HQ-1700 Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 16 May 2006
We bought seven sets at work ( a machine filled photolab) and they proved a huge hit straight away! Small when folded.. lightweight yet very comfortable the sound is amazing from all audio inputs but especially from the ipod. Totally blows away in ear types for richness and warmth. They make ipod compressed music sound full again.. with none of the brittleness of most small in ear phones.. recommended!

Aerial
Aerial
Offered by Side Two
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sense of Wholeness, 11 Nov 2005
This review is from: Aerial (Audio CD)
In this album , long awaited Kate has followed her own path once again. Markedly different from the complex production on The Red Shoes and sonically dense sound (although magnificent) of The Sensual World (my personal favourite) Aerial is a at times sparse.. pared back and very very personal..
The first disc has the piano at its core, and Kate's voice of course. Most songs are deeply introspective musings on dreams, motherhood and fame.. delicate at times, studied and slightly remote. But deeply beautiful. The second disc is as everyone now knows a collection of songs that form a poem.. set to music and seem to me to be utterly full of joy at the presence of love in her life in what is presented as a celebration of life, nature and an optimistic future.. nature saturates the music with the blackbirds song matched by the exctasy of her own human voice. Stunning!
This sort of exquisitely produced music demands repeated listening. And a good stereo!!

Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story [DVD]
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Stiller
Offered by Entertainment Direct
Price: 2.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Over Rated, 18 Feb 2005
The blurb on the packaging wildy over eggs this rather odd mismatched 'comedy'.
Overacted on behalf of Ben stiller and underplayed by a bored looking cast of co stars this seems to be a movie looking for a more assured director. Does ot want to be screwball? Does it want to be quirky? First time of viewing I hated it. second viewing got more pleasure from the whole thing but glad it was a rental and not a puchase!!
Avoid unless in no-brainer mode.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8