Profile for Brian Skipworth > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Kesper 50901 Tea Box 36 x 20 x 9 cm with 10 Compartments
Kesper 50901 Tea Box 36 x 20 x 9 cm with 10 Compartments
Price: 19.00

5.0 out of 5 stars cut it to size with a craft knife and its just about perfect. I love it, 23 Aug 2014
I bought this to store watches in. Take a bit of pipe lagging,cut it to size with a craft knife and its just about perfect. I love it !

Wireless Internet USB Adaptor WiFi Dongle For Windows ME/CE/2000/XP/Vista(32-Bit)/Windows 7
Offered by Digiflex
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job... or seems to. ..., 23 Aug 2014
Does the job...or seems to. Had a bit of trouble initially in that the disc drive on my ancient PC was kaput so I had to go via laptop & USB stick to load the driver....being a bit of an IT numpty this took me a while and a bit longer for the adapter to latch onto the new router. So I'm connected with an "excellent" signal but can't get on line and I'm sat there wondering how that can possibly be.

Much head scratching later I turned off & disconnected the "old" router and ...bingo...I'm on and it now seems to be working perfectly. I only really use the PC for browsing & shopping so this little gizmo has saved me the cost of a new PC/Laptop. I can't really fault it for the money.

Bulova Gents Military 96A102
Bulova Gents Military 96A102
Offered by Watches2U
Price: 47.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Retro military with presence, 11 April 2014
Found this by accident and was immediately drawn to the distinctly retro military look. I think some watches can be just a bit too fussy but this is clean,simple & very,very stylish, The second sub dial is a nice touch as are the distinctive hands and domed glass. Its quite a light watch and extremely comfortable to wear. Ok its not a Rolex but its fine for everyday wear if you dont want something too dressy. It has a bit of presence & is distinctive enough & sufficiently different to draw comments which,so far, have been invariably positive. The only thing I dont like about it is the horrible green canvas strap which,though well made, just doesn't do the watch justice. I had a nice wide vintage mid-brown leather strap waiting for it and on this it looks twice the watch it does on the stock green canvas.

If you like the vintage or retro military look then you will love this bad boy but you've got to put it on a decent strap.

Killing Rommel
Killing Rommel
by Steven Pressfield
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Killing Rommel (Paperback)
What an utterly absorbing read this was. Having loved "Gates of Fire" but struggled with "Tides of War" I really wasn't sure I was going to get on with this but I honestly could not put it down once started. OK the title is a tad misleading so if you're expecting some kind of Special Forces gung ho hero fest you'll be disappointed. This is about ordinary blokes struggling to survive in an unbelievably hostile environment and trying,each in their own way,to come to terms with what it is they are doing & why they are there. Its about survival,comradeship,integrity,values & a myriad other things that anybody who has not experienced warfare cannot begin to imagine. As "Collie" says when offered a copy of "Chap's" memoirs years later says "I dont need to read anything...I was there"..

So convincing was the writing style I had to keep reminding myself that this was a novel and not a true account. Pressfield has captured the ex-University British officer type perfectly. Its an entirely different sort of book & style to "Gates of Fire" but to my mind every bit as good. Superb.

King of Ithaca (Adventures of Odysseus)
King of Ithaca (Adventures of Odysseus)
by Glyn Iliffe
Price: 7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars I simply couldn't put it down, 12 Jan 2014
Because I couldn't wait to finish it so I could bin it & read something else. The subject matter is fine,the story is totally predictable but I found the writing style irritating and the further into the book I got the less & less I cared about what happened and to whom. Disappointed given the generally favourable reviews and comparisons to Gemmell's "Troy" series which,in my view, is just different class. Good bedtime read though as it sent me off without fail ! I wont be reading any of the others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough work watch, 16 Sep 2013
Lets be fair about this.....for the money its a decent enough looking watch and maybe even a bit better than I expected. For an everyday work watch its pretty good value provided you don't look too closely and accept it for what it is...a cheap watch. I bought this because I didn't want to fork out loads only to discover I dont like the "pepsi" bezel [strictly speaking its coke not pepsi but who really cares] and to that extent it did its job and saved me a shedload of money. Still not convinced about the "pepsi" look but I like watches so I will wear this and if it only lasts a year it will owe me nothing. I suspect it will last longer so I guess it is decent enough value.

A truly shocking bracelet but tbh I wasn't surprised.Swapped that pronto for a better one I had kicking around and the watch looks & feels very much better for it. Looks even better on a Bond Nato but most watches do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful !, 12 Sep 2013
I may be a bit premature here as I've only just received this and for all I know it will stop overnight and never work again...but I dont think so ! I did a lot of homework before opting for the Orient Ray...to be honest I'd never heard of Orient...but this just kept coming up as a top quality watch at a ridiculously good price I could neither ignore nor resist one.

Its beautiful. Re-assuringly heavy and such a good looking piece. I'm no watch expert so I cannot comment on movements etc but this is one lovely looking watch with a real presence.The blue is a really dark navy and just looks so classy. This is the first automatic I've ever owned and indeed the first watch of any real quality I've owned. It looks like it cost 5 or 6 times what it did so for this price its an absolute steal. I love it already.

Apollo 18 [DVD]
Apollo 18 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Warren Christie
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 2.60

1.0 out of 5 stars Blair Witch on the Moon, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: Apollo 18 [DVD] (DVD)
Dear oh dear oh dear. As a concept "Why didn't we go back" is such a cool idea with the right story this could have been such a good movie. Unfortunately the story is weak,the acting worse and the "Blair Witch" style simply irritating. If I was supposed to find this tense I didn't...I found it tedious,predictable & completely far fetched. I missed this when it was in cinemas and was quite disappointed that I did. I'm not anymore.

Boneland (Weirdstone Trilogy 3)
Boneland (Weirdstone Trilogy 3)
by Alan Garner
Price: 11.89

1.0 out of 5 stars Bish Bash Bosh...what a load of Tosh, 18 Oct 2012
I really wish I hadn't read this. I have loved "The Weirdstone" and "Gomrath" since I first read them over 40 years ago and Boneland has now ruined them for me. If I have to work so hard at a book to understand it [and fail] then it is not for me. The "story" stands in its own right I suppose...it doesn't need to be Colin/Susan at all and in that respect to even suggest it is part of the Weirdstone "trilogy" is stretching things to say the least. Maybe I'm just too dim to get it but I expected more & better than this. I am hugely disappointed and as other reviewers have said I raced through this book expecting something to happen and damn me nothing did.I dont't really know what I was expecting but it didn't explain anything so far as I was concerned. Not a thing other than that Colin grew up to be completely stone bonkers due to being hit by lightning...or possibly not...and that he is wracked with guilt over losing his twin sister...if he ever actually had one that is and I still dont really know.The sad thing is that I ended up not really caring either way. Give me Gowther Mossock and Uthecar Wineskin any day !

I probably am not bright enough to get it but as a Weirdstone fan this was a massive,massive disappointment.I truly wish I had not read this book. I have given it 1 star out of respect for the Weirdstone books but if this had been a debut novel by an unknown author I would happily have given it minus 15 stars. If it had ever got published which I very much doubt.

The only good thing about the whole experience is that I borrowed this off my brother [who is equally bemused] and didn't actually pay money for it. I'd have wanted a refund if I had ! Rubbish....with a capital "R" followed by "ubbish" in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific little knife, 28 Mar 2011
I wanted something a bit more substantial than a pocket knife,found this by accident & bought it on the strength of the reviews & spec. I'm no knife expert but it seems a cracking little knife,very comfortable handle,good substantial blade & very sharp. It will do the job I wanted it for admirably & every indication is that it will do a whole lot more. I quite like the sheath not least because it keeps the blade away from my clumsy fingers when not in use. A quality no nonsense knife for silly money. I've already recommended it to friends who are equally impressed.Fantastic....get one.

Page: 1 | 2