Profile for S. Bonfanti > Reviews

The Lobster
The Lobster
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars Great cast; shame about everything else, 29 Mar. 2016
This review is from: The Lobster (Amazon Video)
Great cast but I'm in the 'tedious futuristic parable' camp on this one. And it's all so nasty. And pointless. Great acting can't rescue this. And whatever happened to the ending?

Custom Knits: 25 Projects (Plus Variations) and Techniques for Customizing to Fit Your Style and Your Body
by Wendy Bernard

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun but not flattering IMHO, 6 Sept. 2012
There's a lot of info in here for knitters who haven't worked top down or haven't tried adjusting patterns to fit. Not so much for an experienced knitter, in my view.

But the main reason for the 2 stars is that there is very little (well, actually in my view, nothing) about how to flatter different body types. No-one else has mentioned this. But there is simply nothing in here that would work for me: short, slim but curvy. Lots of high neck lines, neck line detail, thick yarns, straight shapes, very little waist shaping - just the kind of thing that drowns me or makes me look like a busty blob. And the idea of Jane or Mina's Tuxedo Vest - even my husband burst out laughing! So this book is not as useful as, for instance, Amy Herzog's Fit to Flatter approach, which works for everyone.

The designs look fun and if they would work for you, go for it. But try to get a look at them first to make sure.

Socks from the Toe Up
Socks from the Toe Up
by Wendy D. Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not good for smaller feet!, 5 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Socks from the Toe Up (Paperback)
As other reviewers have said, there is good stuff here about the construction of toe-up socks which as a cuff-down knitter should help me add this to my repertoire. But I have not seen anyone else mention one disadvantage of the book: most patterns are for 8" socks upwards. I have smallish feet - UK 4-4.5 - and hardly any of the patterns are small enough for me.
Yes, I could rework them but firstly, I buy patterns because I want someone else to do the work! and secondly, for most of the patterns, the stitch-repeat makes it difficult to adjust by just an inch or so. I did look and start to do the maths. So it's not likely I'm going to knit anything from the book though I will probably use the reference info.

Design Your Own Knits in 5 Easy Steps
Design Your Own Knits in 5 Easy Steps
by Debbie Abrahams

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic: there are better knitwear design books out there, 28 Feb. 2011
I was disappointed with this book. I thought it was thin and I resent being asked to pay for proportional graph paper which I can download from the web.
I didn't find anything here that made me feel: aha, that was worth the price of the book. Not one for keeping.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2015 12:59 PM BST

Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache: The ultimate feel-good book of natural cakes that taste naughty
by Harry Eastwood

5.0 out of 5 stars All good so far, 28 Feb. 2011
There are already hundreds of reviews, so just throwing my penn'orth in on the side of loving this book.
I've made a good half dozen of the recipes so far, and they all worked out. I wouldn't bother again with the lemon drops, because they are just too small! And I didn't ice the Christmas cupcakes. I didn't think they needed it and I was right.
Somewhere in the reviews, someone suggested the recipes needed strange or unusual ingredients. So far, nothing you can't buy in Waitrose.

Knit One Below: One Stitch, Many Fabrics
Knit One Below: One Stitch, Many Fabrics
by Elise Duvekot

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting stitch but patterns rather uninspired, 28 Feb. 2011
I was really excited to get this book but having read through it am somewhat less so.
The basic idea is interesting and some of the resulting fabrics look great. But I'm not sure why she's so obsessed with using it to create stripes! I like the feel of the fabric and it will be ideal for a very fine yarn I have in my stash. So I'm playing around with using it to create a more tweedy look by alternating colours more frequently.
And I thought the designs were a bit clunky. I don't do square, boxy garments so not much here for me. But it was worth buying the book to find out about this technique.

Knit. Sock. Love.
Knit. Sock. Love.
by Cookie A.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book with great patterns, 28 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Knit. Sock. Love. (Paperback)
This is the first sock knitting book I have bought (or wanted to buy) and I just love it. The book is well produced with lovely photos, that, with a few exceptions, also give you great views of the socks.
I have just finished knitting (and am wearing as I write) the BFF cabled socks from the first section of the book. The instructions were clear and the socks have turned out beautifully. And they are only the third pair of socks I've ever knitted. The range of patterns is good, including some that appear pretty challenging if that's what you want. And none of them is whacky or unwearable.
I'm looking forward to working my way through the book.
The one additional thing that I would like is information on the yardage used for each size of sock. Most of the yarns are from US suppliers and in making substitutions it would be helpful to know exactly what yardage you need. But a minor quibble.

Brave New Knits
Brave New Knits
by Julie Turjoman

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not so keen on the projects, 28 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Brave New Knits (Paperback)
Like other reviewers I found this an interesting read with a good cross-section of designers, coming from different backgrounds. I didn't find the information about yarn weight a problem: the tension gives you a good clue. But I didn't love many of the patterns. In particular, I thought most of the garments shapeless or the wrong shape for me. Despite references in many of the interviews to 'body-skimming shapes' or 'shapely sweaters' I didn't think this was reflected in the garments shown. And why would you want to knit a camisole in a heavyweight DK/Aran yarn (even one that's 50/50 alpaca silk)?

Hence the 3 stars: good, worth reading but not great.

Fabulous Felted Scarves: 20 Wearable Works of Art
Fabulous Felted Scarves: 20 Wearable Works of Art
by Chad Alice Hagen

3.0 out of 5 stars Great felt artists, so-so book, 30 Jan. 2010
Both authors are great textile artists so there is much in this book that is useful about how they make felt. And it's a beautifully produced book. But it really is a project book, so consider whether you want to make a lot of scarves before you buy it. If you are a beginner and want to make scarves, it could be good. If you are experienced and just like to get a few hints and ideas, borrow it! If you are a beginner and want to make art pieces, 3D work etc, buy something else. Maybe 'How we felt' by Carol Huber.

Re-Bound: Creating Handmade Books from Recycled and Repurposed Materials
Re-Bound: Creating Handmade Books from Recycled and Repurposed Materials
by Jeannine Stein

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for some inspiration, 2 Jan. 2010
I've given this 3 stars but overall I was a bit disappointed. I've been making books for several years and have a few books. This isn't one I see myself returning to time and again.
The positives are that the book is full of ideas for using 'everyday' items - though some of them are not common in the UK - and gives pretty good instructions (haven't tried anything out yet, so this is just from reading) using basic bindings. It's nicely designed and printed.
But it is a project book and doesn't in my view give you basic techniques that you can transfer to ideas of your own. If you haven't made any/many books, I think you would be better off with a book that will give you a good basic grounding, for example Sue Doggett or Alisa Golden. Then you could treat this as just for inspiration. Always assuming you like the 'artsy craftsy' aesthetic. I'm in two minds about it - but at least the projects in here are more original than many I've seen.

Page: 1 | 2