Profile for crystal23tipps > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Fireman
The Fireman

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 23 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Fireman (Kindle Edition)
The same dry humour as Horns, but otherwise I wouldn't automatically associate the author of the two novels. This is a fantastic, unputdownable read with an open, but satisfying ending. Well developed characters are engaging, twists and turns of the plot are both gripping and believable. Would recommend this 100%.

Curlformers Genuine Patented Extra Long Spiral Curls Top-up Pack (Styling Hook not included, please buy separately)
Offered by Curlformers

1.0 out of 5 stars Not official product, 22 Jun. 2016
BE AWARE - this is not the official product. See photo for what was actually delivered.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Michel Mercier Detangling Brush for Thick Hair
Michel Mercier Detangling Brush for Thick Hair

5.0 out of 5 stars An end to the brushing tug of war!, 13 Dec. 2015
My daughter has fine hair, but lots of it and an uncanny ability to style it into 1000 knots in her sleep. She's 9 so obviously knows best and prefers to brush her own hair, as infrequently as possible, rather than letting me do it. So it's normally a choice between a 20 minute battle with her over dramatising every tug and me getting increasingly cross, or leaving it to her and knowing that only the top layer of hair is getting brushed.

But with this detangling brush a third way is now optional. I have to say I had my doubts when I bought this, but this brush is brilliant. My daughter actually enjoys brushing her hair now and does it properly. The brush eases tangles apart quickly and painlessly, and now hairbrushing is no longer a source of arguments in our house. Now I just need to find the equivalent for tidying her bedroom!

The Thirteenth Tale
The Thirteenth Tale

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I picked this up, 16 Feb. 2014
Like probably quite a few other people I was inspired to read this book by the TV mini series based on it. I didn't actually watch the show, but I did catch one trailer for it and realising it was based on a book guessed it was one of those cases where the original book was better than the show. Now I've still no idea if that's right, although I'm now tempted to watch the programme, but the book is brilliant.

It has the tone of a Gothic novel but still feels contemporary, and is so well-paced that while I couldn't help guessing about some of the mystery I was very content to follow through the story's beginning, middle and end as Miss Winter insists.

Highly recommend to anyone who likes a good mystery of any kind, or just stories of any genre which deal with people and families and the decisions of one generation, the consequences of which are inherited by the next.

Bellman & Black (by the same author) has now made its way straight to the top of my 'must read' list.

Doctor Sleep: Shining Book 2 (The Shining)
Doctor Sleep: Shining Book 2 (The Shining)

5.0 out of 5 stars Finished too quickly, 1 Oct. 2013
That review title isn't a criticism of pacing, it's a reflection of how much I wanted to savour the book, but couldn't stop reading it!

An excellent story as ever from King, and a fascinating insight into what happened after the end of The Shining. I really found it interesting that Danny's reflections on his father in this book are mostly about him being dangerous, being a threat to the family because of his anger and his alcoholism. It's a much darker version of the pre-Overlook Jack Torrance than I recall from The Shining. I remember The Shining's Jack to be good-intentioned and that alcohol or ghosties (or ghost alcohol) were to blame for his temper issues. This different perspective is a great reflection of how Dan Torrance has grown up. He has a much more adult view of his Dad and the impact the choices Jack made had on Danny. I can't help thinking as well that these different views of Jack also show a bit of the author's perspective as in the writing of one book an alcoholic who knew he shouldn't but was able to justify his choices, to now being many years sober and much harder on the decisions he made back then.

Needful Things
Needful Things

5.0 out of 5 stars You 'need' to read this!, 28 July 2013
This review is from: Needful Things (Kindle Edition)
I'm a huge Stephen King fan so this is definitely a biased review. In my opinion Needful Things is up there as one of his great reads. For Constant Reader it's a return to Castle Rock with references to previous tales going back to The Body and The Dead Zone, but it's not necessary to have read them to enjoy this story.

In the Tall Grass
In the Tall Grass

5.0 out of 5 stars King-Hill combo exactly what you'd expect., 17 Feb. 2013
This review is from: In the Tall Grass (Kindle Edition)
I'm never really sure about collaborative writing efforts. Sometimes they just come out disjointed, or they're quite clearly a case of one famous writer lending their name to a work which has mainly been written by the less famous partner in a bid to boost sales.

However, all that aside as a huge Stephen King fan, and a fan of the one Joe Hill novel I've read, there's no way I was going to miss out on this father and son effort. It may be because I've read so much more of King's work, but to me it was hard to identify what Hill contributed to the mix. It read like King all the way, with echoes of his previous short story Children of the Corn just to be absolutely sure.

Regardless this was a great short story and one I'd highly recommend to King and/or Hill fans. The bonuses of previews of both authors' 2013 releases would be worth the 99p price tag alone in any event. Although I'm now wishing the year away to get to September and the release of Dr Sleep. PS is it a coincidence that Hill's new novel mentions House of Sleep. I hope so because Hill really is talented enough not to have to ride on his Dad's coat tails. My only complaint is that he hasn't released books at anywhere near the same rate.

Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince
by J. K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Rowling just gets better and better, 18 July 2005
I've already read some negative criticisms of this latest installment to the Harry Potter series, but I can only assume these come from people who continue to pigeon-hole HP as a series of children's books. Like Order of the Phoenix, the Half-Blood Prince proves again that Rowling is writing to tell a story, not writing for a particular age group. For that reason parents might be better off having a quick scan of the Half-Blood Prince before allowing younger ones to read it. I'm in my mid-20s and I still spent much of the latter quarter of the book trying to read pages with tears streaming down my face. It's a sign of how realistic these characters are that you sympathise with their every disappointment and tragedy. I wouldn't say it's dark so much as realistic, Harry Potter's world is at war and moments of peace are few and far between.
I love all the Harry Potter books, and this one still managed to exceed my expectations. Now it's a case of waiting for the bittersweet announcement that the seventh and final book is on its way - I can't wait to find out what happens, but it also means no more Harry Potter. Still with books which are so far proving infinitely re-readable Harry Potter will still be part of my reading life for years to come.

The Black Angel: A Charlie Parker Thriller: 5
The Black Angel: A Charlie Parker Thriller: 5
by John Connolly

5.0 out of 5 stars Darker and deeper - better and better, 11 May 2005
I picked up a paperback of John Connolly's first novel Every Dead Thing almost by accident, in the bargain bucket of my local bookstore. I was hooked from the first page.
The Black Angel has everything which first drew me to the story of Charlie 'Bird' Parker - and more. The supernatural elements are getting more and more prominent, but they've been developed so well over the series that they're now a vital and believable element of this world.
With Parker having come almost a complete circle from the first novel, with a woman in his life and their newborn daughter, the tension is wound up an extra knot. Even the incomparable Angel and Louis do little to lighten things up as they are even closer to the action this time round.
If you've read the other Parker novels then you can't miss this one - and don't forget Nocturnes because the Parker novella is referred to in this.
If you're a newcomer to John Connolly then I'd advise you read Every Dead Thing, Dark Hollow, The Killing Kind, and White Road before reading The Black Angel - but go and buy them all now and read them back to back, believe me you won't want to put them down.

Inconceivable
Inconceivable
by Ben Elton
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars de ja vu, 5 July 2000
I have read all of Ben Elton's book, but this one stands out because it doesn't have the same sense of delivering a 'message'. Yes, relationships should be based on trust and communication, but luckily this comes over in a much more subtle way than the eco-themes of Stark, This Other Eden and Gridlocked, even Blast From The Past had the authority vs anti-authority themes associated with Ben's early stand-up days. For Inconceivable Ben's definitely grown up, his characters are a lot more sympathetic, and if it wasn't for the fact that he's always seemed to be able to 'get inside' a woman's head I'd be asking his wife where she kept her diary! The only problem I had was that a lot of the little scenes in the book I already knew off by heart from when the guested in his stand-up show, it threw me off track slightly to be reminded that Ben Elton the author is also Ben Elton the stand-up comic. But overall I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a laugh, but isn't afraid to think a bit too.

Page: 1 | 2