Profile for M Kennedy > Reviews

The Complete Sleep Guide For Contented Babies and  Toddlers
The Complete Sleep Guide For Contented Babies and Toddlers
by Gina Ford

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good tips if desparate, 12 May 2009
I have read both this book and The Contented Toddler and think they are both well worth a read - especially of you have become as desparate as i was!

I have still yet to find advice on leaving a baby to cry for hours and neglect them. Her advice is give them 10 minutes or so to see if they settle themselves - advice which lots of people give ie. don't rush in at the first whimper!!!! Yes there are rountines to help you structure your day - ideas for times for meals and naps for different ages. Most people i know have the same-ish meal and sleep times so whats the problem?? Her routines are flexible and not set in stone and there are lots of case studies to show how she has helped various families and their different sleep associations.

My toddler is now sleeping through, having less early wakings and eating much better after taking her advice for a couple of week. We've waited 14 months for this :-) Perhaps a lot is common sense but when you are so sleep deprived it's good to take a step back and have a read to re-focus yourself.

The Contented Toddler Years
The Contented Toddler Years
by Gina Ford

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the critics - this is a great book!, 30 April 2009
Having a child that has rarely slept through the night in a year I reluctantly turned to Gina Ford for advice - and wish I'd done it sooner!!! Ignore the critics that say she is not flexible and leaves babies to cry or given no affection - I certainly never came across any advice like that in this book. Just lots of straight-forward advice and suggestions. Lots of advice regarding toddler behaviour and habits too. Yes it is based around routines and structure, but with a flexible approach and a lot of common sense. I tend to eat and sleep and the sround same time each day so why should my children be any different?

My child is now sleeping through the night and reducing the number of early morning wakings after a week of following Ginas advice.

If you are as desperate as I was then what have you got to loose??