Profile for Lucien De Vere > Reviews

Content by Lucien De Vere

Lucien De Vere "Loops" (Western Australia)

Bluestone 42 [DVD]
Bluestone 42 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kelly Adams

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch it!, 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Bluestone 42 [DVD] (DVD)
Easily, one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. The cast work so well together and it's non-stop funny all of the way through but with a poignant serious note too. The characters of Nick (Oliver Chris) and Bird (Katie Lyons) I know from Green Wing in which they were also excellent. Gary Carr is playing a slightly similar role to which he played in Death in Paradise as the young, always trying to improve himself but very capable Millsy. Tony Gardner as the CO Colonel Smith is such a superb character with subtle undertones and strong leadership unlike his character as Michael in Lead Balloon. Simon the Lance Corporal (Stephen Wight) has been a favourite of mine since Whites playing the truculent, would be Sous-chef. In this role, he’s more attuned to the comradeship of his colleagues and is far more of a pleasant and engaging character. Perhaps more in keeping with his role as Sam in The Paradise. The other cast members I’m less familiar with and one of them is Mary (Kelly Adams) as the Padre. I’m not going to give anything away and ruin the plot for those reading this but lets just say that although her abilities and caring nature as the Padre may be unrequited by her flock, there’s definitely a special bond between one of the guys which is especially tender given the supposed location. A brilliantly done TV show with a lot of course language which is actually very fitting given the storyline. It’s about a bunch of squadies in Afghanistan after all. If those in charge of the making of a second series or maybe even more don’t follow through and add to the work already done, then, as Mac and Rocket would say, they are indeed a bunch of knob-heads!

Last Tango in Halifax - Series 1 [DVD]
Last Tango in Halifax - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anne Reid

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, sensitive and thoroughly appealing., 6 May 2013
Exactly why Yam Lai Wah wrote "One word for this :Dire.Struggled through Disc One and then binned it along with Disc Two unseen.The plot is drivel and the supporting cast are unbelievably bad and unpleasant to boot", I have no idea. I strongly suggest that he, or she, is a troll. To everyone else looking for an honest review of these fine actors at their best, rest assured that this is a truly engaging series and you won't be disappointed. Just look at all of the 5 star ratings supplied so far. This is TV at it's absolute best. We were entertained right from beginning to the very end. Thoroughly heart warming. If you feel otherwise, then you have no perception of quality TV. Asia is full of that for sure!

White Van Man - Series 1 [DVD]
White Van Man - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Will Mellor

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, 18 Jun. 2012
I absolutely loved this first series of White Van Man and sincerely hope that there's a follow up series. Ollie is such a likeable fellow and as for his off-sider Darren, well! Darren reminds me so much in many ways of Jeremy from Peep show. Equally bone idol and unwilling to do any real work. You know the sort. The ones that expect everyone else to graft but are not actually interested in offering real assistance and we all know people like that. I understand that the BBC has decided to axe White Van Man which is extremely disappointing especially as the final episode ended with the possibility of more to come. Come on Aunty. This is a series that should be pursued.

Hippies : The Complete Series [DVD]
Hippies : The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Benfield
Offered by joe4books

4.0 out of 5 stars A British TV series I missed from 1999, 4 May 2011
This single DVD series takes us back to a London set in 1969. It stars Simon Pegg as the editor of a small-circulation, Oz type publication called 'Mouth'. His friends who share his sometimes turbulent and always naive world are the gorgeous feminist Jill played by Sally Phillips, the super laid-back Alex played by Julian Rhind-Tutt from Green Wing fame and Darren Boyd who went on much more recently to appear in Whites starring Alan Davies. This DVD is a fun ride and not to be taken at all seriously. It's light hearted, pleasantly funny and around about half an hour of escapism per episode. If you are a fan of Spaced, also starring Simon Pegg, you'll be able to note certain ideas that were later used in that superb series. Definitely one for your DVD collection.

Married Single Other [DVD] [2009]
Married Single Other [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Lucy Davis
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, passionate, thoroughly entertaining, 4 May 2011
If you enjoyed The Street, Moving On and other seriously great recent British TV series that can only seemingly be produced in the UK (maybe Australia too but then I'm biased!), then this DVD must be seen. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish and I'm sure you will too as you're emotionally absorbed into the cast of the show as the story unfolds itself. Brilliant British TV at it's best. 5 stars.

Mad Dogs - Series 1 [DVD]
Mad Dogs - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Max Beesley
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting TV, 4 May 2011
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I'm not going to give anything away as to the plot but I found this series riveting from beginning to end. Very, very good storyline and an excellent cast including the ubiquitous double act of John Simm and Philip Glenister. Wonderful!

Benidorm Christmas Special 2010 [DVD]
Benidorm Christmas Special 2010 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jake Canuso

2.0 out of 5 stars Short review, 6 Feb. 2011
Whilst I am aware that Geoffrey Hutchings has sadly passed away and that in a way, the very end of this Christmas Special is a dedication to his contribution to Benidorm, that's about, in my opinion, as good as it gets. Whilst I'd happily give all the other series four or five stars, I can only muster two for this rather miserable effort. Without Vegas, the gay couple, Nic Burns and Abigail Cruttenden who in the earlier series played the unhappy young married couple, this is an absolute flop.
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Street: The Complete Series 1-3 [DVD]
The Street: The Complete Series 1-3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jessica Baglow

5.0 out of 5 stars The Street series 1 through 3, 16 July 2010
Well, unlike certain other reviews that I've made of other British TV series, this drama has to be one of the most brilliant pieces I have ever seen. I've watched all three series now and not one has let me down. As someone else said, buy it, watch it, laugh and cry. You'll do all of that with this series played by some of Britain's finest actors. Listen to the music that is used at the beginning of each episode too. Absolutely exquisite. I'd give it 6 stars if this was possible.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2011 6:15 AM BST

Miranda - Series 1 [DVD]
Miranda - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Miranda Hart
Offered by Qoolist

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as painful as I originally reviewed., 27 May 2010
This review is from: Miranda - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I tried to watch this series when it was first screened here in Australia by the ABC but after about 20 painful minutes, I just gave up. I thought at the time, what on earth was happening to British comedy? Is this the future I asked myself? Definitely not my cup of tea which is a shame but then again, I guess you can't please everyone. I actually like the character Miranda Hart plays and I'm sure Miranda in real life is a sweetie too. I just don't care an awful lot for this first series. I have had a chance to see some of Miranda Series 2 recently on the ABC and found some of it to be not that bad at all. We have recently purchased the series Call The Midwife also co-starring Miranda Hart and we were enthralled with her performance in that. If you're a fan of Miranda and I know there are many out there, give it a go and decide for yourself.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2011 4:07 PM BST